LCR KaBoom!

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Gojubrian, May 26, 2010.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Ruger LCR Kaboom

Uh oh! :eek:

I would have hated to be the person shooting when that happened. What do you think?

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Hopefully it is an isolated incident. Could it be that she had a squib load and fired a second? Or maybe something (piece of dirt, metal shaving) caused the primer to activate (like a firing pin) when the revolver recoiled from the first shot?

Glad that no one was hurt.

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I still want one in 357. :D

4. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

I don't believe this is a design flaw or we would have heard of previous related problems. I would like to know what caused the problem. Glad no one was hurt.

5. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Amazing that no one was injured with shrapnel flying like that. I'll be very interested in hearing the conclusion of why the round was misaligned with the forcing cone and still fired.

Glad I went with my gut and bought a J-Frame instead of an elle-sea-arrrrr. Just sayin Cane... :rolleyes:

6. jbd

jbd New Member

I have about 350 rounds through my LCR. I only have about 25 rounds of +p ammo through it. I have been very pleased so far. That make the first thing I heard going wrong with the LCR and I hope it is the last. I am glad to see nobody was hurt.

7. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Pictures or it didn't happen. Amazing his J-frame performed flawlessly and he can proclaim it wasn't shooter or ammo related. Whatever.

Sorry the link didn't work on my phone.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  8. Shihan

Also. He had to check the Manual to see of it was rated for +P, give me a break, this guy is giving classes. HaHaHa. OK. Terrific.

9. Shihan

OK. I saw the picture. Still looks like it held together good. I would say it was. More likely ammo, squib, but it says on the barrel +P. What was she doing shooting 25 rounds of +P, her hand must have been killing her. It didn't explode, she didn't even know it happened until it wouldn't fire, seems like a pretty rugged gun. There. I don't believe there is any issue with the design.

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I vote squib. Hard to say with out more detail of barrel.

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

You didn't follow the link?

12. RadioActiV

RadioActiV New Member

I agree with the majority here. It has to be the ammo. The gun has great reviews and if it was a design flaw there would definitely be a recall or at least other incidents.

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I don't know if it was ammo. It appears that for some reason the thing fell out of time and the round didn't line up right. I won't be so quick to say it's a design flaw being I have never held or fired one I can't say much about it. And even without it being a blatant flaw things do happen sometimes. Even the Glock KB issues I wouldn't call a flaw per say being the number of issues compared to the total number of weapons out there.

I would say that being the manufacturer what it is and the idea that it is not a Smith is what will get people saying it's a flaw in design. There are some out there that just will not agree that a weapon is any good unless it is brand X etc. And inexpensive makers are always in the cross-hairs

14. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

I'm going to go with Robo here, I think it was probable a squib.

15. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I don't know what happened, I was just reporting.

I'm still fully confident in my LCR. :)

16. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I think she had a squib and loaded another on behind it. I still want one in 357.:)

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

You are a madman.

18. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Took me 20 years to finally buy a plastic auto so I'll be getting my LCR around, oh, say, the year 2029.

Should have any bugs worked out by then!

TACK

19. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Well, I'm a big Ruger fan and firm believer after years upon years of use (and abuse) in the rugged, reliability of their firearms, so I'll always side accordingly with some sort of prejudicial judgment towards the firearm manufacture that has served me best.

I have some experience shooting the LCR (as well as countless hours with a J-frame) and can tell you both are excellent handguns, although completely different.

All that said. . . I'm still wary of plastic framed revolvers. I know many of you absolutely love the LCR and I respect that, but I have not chosen to add one to the family because I'm a durability freak. I have ONE plastic framed gun (my only semi ;)), The XD and although I love that handgun with every ounce, it will be in constant question until we part.

Of course this most likely has nothing to do with "polymer" construction. So there must be some other cause, especially since this is the first incident I have ever heard of with this beloved firearm. Right? ? ?:confused:

However, This lady should be able to shoot 2,500 rounds of +p ammo out of this weapon if it is rated to be suitable for it.

Sore hand or not, there is a "safety factor" included in everything (consumer) related to human safety that allows grace in the case of a failure.

Curious to hear more. . .

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

not everyone is proficient with the ammo of every weapon. i couldnt begin to tell you if the sig 220 i have had for the last 20 years can shoot +P or not without looking at the manual.

im just surprised no one was hurt by the failure