LCP with, or without laser?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by TheNYResistance, Nov 17, 2012.

1. TheNYResistance

TheNYResistance New Member

My only concern with the laser is comfort of concealment. I want this for pocket carry in a wallet holster but not sure if the laser will get in my way.

If I buy the laser aftermarket it will be slightly more expensive than buying it with it already attached. I assume if I buy it with the laser, it is detachable, but I have to ask.

2. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I have the LCP without laser simply for the reason that the LCP is a close-up confrontational devise. What would be the need of a laser? :confused:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

In case you were forced to use for something other than up close and personal?

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I agree here. I seriously considered an LCP but I didn't want one with a laser. I was looking at it as a pocket pistol but I suppose it depends on what you wanted to do with the gun.

5. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Lasers are a very personal decision in my opinion. There are valid reasons to choose a laser, and there are equally valid reasons not to. The only one who can offer you the perfect answer is you. This is about your carry preferences (weight, size, etc), your shooting style, your level of preparation. There's plenty of data to support the usefulness of such tools.

Lasers can be a really effective addition. My own preference is to avoid them, and in turn I consider it a personal responsibility to practice "point shooting" my CCW regularly. I keep myself acquainted with my grip angle and slide, and feel like I could hit anyone inside of 50ft in the chest without having to find a sight picture.

If I carried a DA revolver (LCR, SP101), I'd probably choose to carry a laser. Again...just due to my own personal habits, preferences, and shooting style.

6. pistol77

pistol77 New Member

I think a laser could cost u ur life. Y ur looking for the dot instead of relying on ur grip and training the perp has already rushed u and taken ur gun and he didn't even worry bout finding that stupid dot before be shot u. So n other words don't be lookin for that silly dot when u r under attack.

7. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Like what with a 2.75" barrel? :confused:

8. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Laser.
    If I were to buy one,
    it would have the Laser.

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

If you prefer the laser, I don't think that will interfere with pocket carry. The laser is under the barrel so I don't think it makes the gun any 'bigger'.

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I've carried mine with a laser for several months now. It doesn't make a notable difference in carry. Without the laser the pistol is slightly easier to grip though.

11. JeeperSC

JeeperSC New Member

I have the bodyguard with the laser, which is s&w's version of the LCP.
    its a cool addition that I most likely wont turn on in an active shooting situation.
    I think night sites would be a more useful option on the gun for me then the laser is.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  12. Dragonheart

Dragonheart New Member

My advice would be to sell the LCP, then take the money you would spend on a quality laser and put both on a Sig-238 or better yet Sig-938. Then you won't have to worry about being able to hit a man sized target across the room, assuming you already shoot well enough to pass the CHL. With the 938 you will have 9mm power in the best pocket pistol to date.

13. etbob9

etbob9 Member

My kids gave me an LCP with the LaserMax for my last
    birthday. It can easily be removed if you wish. In fact
    you have to remove one side of the laser to replace the
    battery. Just remove two screws and it snaps apart, at
    which time you could snap the whole thing off the
    trigger guard.

Personally, I love the LCP and the laser, especially in poor
    lighting. It also helps hide the familiar "gun shape"
    printing in my pocket. :D

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  14. TheNYResistance

TheNYResistance New Member

At the last minute I changed my mind and went with the smith and Wesson bodyguard, better sights, slide locks back on empty chamber, integrated laser that doesn't get in the way, the only thing I don't like is the saftey, but will carry without it on.

15. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

LCPs need lasers to correct for speed bump like sights. W laser, I can hit a man size Tgt at 25 yds. W/o laser, would not attempt shot.

Lasers shine in their ability to STOP a situation from escalating. My brother is LEO - both times he used it, the suspect Stopped whatever he/she was doing. Why a little red dot could cause this reaction when drawn firearm could not, is a bit of a mystery to me.

I do not want to shoot anyone. I do not want them or their relatives to sue me the next day. Anything I can do to prevent a lawsuit or increase my odds of surviving an encounter - I am all for and consider it money well spent.:)

16. Cutlass327

Cutlass327 New Member

This would be the main reason I would want one. A coworker said his CCW instructor recommends them just for that purpose...

17. BullseyePrecision

BullseyePrecision New Member

Good luck hitting something with it that is farther than 10 yards.

18. danolator

danolator New Member

LCP's are nice little guns. After 8 months carrying mine around, I am selling it this morning. I replaced it with its big brother, the LC9. With this gun, I have close-in sight reliability and a caliber that better meets self defense purposes. Pocket guns are close-in guns. You aren't going to be shooting at a bad guy at 50 feet unless he's running away. In my opinion, lasers are great training tools for pocket guns, but serve little other purpose. If I had one for my LCP, it would have been for use at the range only.

19. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

For me, the fact that it is a close-up tool makes the laser more justified. Unless one specifically trains point-and-shoot, you might be surprised how far off target one can be even at 3-5 yard distances. The laser aids me in getting on target more quickly and in situations where achieving a proper stance/sight picture is not feasible.

20. cotex

cotex New Member

I love my lcp/ct it's in my back pocket so much I forget it is there. Will always have it on me as my backup/ secondary pistol.