LCP vs. LC9

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by ruger58, Apr 25, 2013.

1. ruger58

ruger58 New Member

I currently own an Sr9 but I'm looking for a smaller ccw Ruger. The prices are similar so I'm not too worried about that, I just wonder if the weight of the LCP is too small and if the LC9 is more comfortable. I do like the extra round that the LC9 carries. Any thoughts?

2. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Both are great choices for CCW I carried a LC9 for over a year until I sold it to my brother. The 9mm is better than the .380 and you get an extra round and a slightly bigger gun that makes shooting easier while still very concealable.

3. ruger58

ruger58 New Member

Kinda what I was thinking about both guns, appreciate the help brother

4. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Plus you already have a 9mm SR9 so 2 guns 1 caliber of ammo.

5. Toll13

Toll13 New Member

An lcp bit me once, I don't trust the little buggers. It was the chamber too. But seriously, if you have larger hands, it will get you. Try the lc9.

6. danolator

danolator New Member

I had the LCP. Too small & inaccurate except very short distances. But hey, it's a bug. I pocket carry my LC9 quite often. It is accurate at reasonable distances and packs a better whallop.

7. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I had the LC9 for awhile and never really loved it. Long trigger and it didn't fill out my hands well. I have a S&W 9c now that has a better trigger and feels like it was made for me.

8. jedibiker

jedibiker New Member

I carry the LC9 daily, and love it. It fits my hand nice, but that's a personal call. I would definitely shoot it if you can. The long trigger pull is alive it or hate it relationship. I love it, because I KNOW I meant to pull, no quick double fire on reflex. Others may disagree. It's worth it to put a few rounds through one if you can. It may make your decision for you either way. Good luck!

9. mahall

mahall New Member

Those who have carried both for everyday carry!! Is there a big difference in quality of concealment!! Clothes, comfort, printing?? I carry the LCP but thinking the 9mm big brother might be just as easy to carry!! I live in So. fL so light summer clothing always has to be part of the decision!! Thoughts please!

10. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I have small meaty hands, and the LC9 bit me the first time I shot it,..but I got used to it through Practice! Well over 600 Rds through mine now with only 1 FTF. Same reason I play Gibson Guitars & not Fender, as they aren't for small hands. OP,..I also own an SR9, and DW has 2 Ruger Wheel Guns(one she bought and one was my late Dad's Duty gun until his job went to Autoloaders).
    It does take a little getting used to, but I have a chopped Smith that has almost the same wt.
    I use 2 Holsters, the Blackhawk Pocket size 3(also fits the LC380 & LCP) for my man purse, and an Desantis Insider when I wear Pants with a belt...it's about the same size as a Walther PPK so I imagine that unless you get yours with a Crimson Trace pre-mounted it will fit most compact concealable holsters. I'm putting a Laser Lyte on mine, since it mounts in the slide and not infront of the Trigger Guard..

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

If you already have a gun you are comfortable carrying I would get an LCP. A pocket pistol is very handy to have. I have several larger pistols but I carry my P-3AT in my pocket most of the time. Once you get the LCP broke in you will carry it a lot and shoot it a little.

12. danolator

danolator New Member

I now have both as I recently picked up another LCP. They both pocket carry well. The LCP fits nicely in my mountain bike seat pouch. Follow Ruger's advice on the LCP: fire only factory loads and change out the takedown pin, guide rod, and spring after the first 500 rounds. The guide rod & spring are cheap & $cheap BTW.

13. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

I love my LC9. It's extremely concealable yet relatively comfortable to shoot, the safety is exactly how it should be (stiff engage, easy disengage), plenty accurate for its size and intended application. The trigger is long and mushy but that's kind of to be expected on a DAO pocket pistol.
    I don't think a modest increase in conceal ability is worth the loss of power and shootability in an LCP.

14. mahall

mahall New Member

I agree the LC9 is the better choice!! Ammo is a little higher, outside of that, more gun in the same package

15. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Trigger gets better after 500 rds...(at least mine has). So far just under 700 altogether through it. Again,..the LC9's only FTF has been with JHP's for SD/HD....just feed it FMJ's and it will shoot all day.....

16. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

I'm not sure I've hit 500 yet but you're right, the trigger has gotten lighter and smoother. It might have been placebo but I felt that removing the magazine disconnect helped, too. The only thing I'd change now is how long it is but that's kind of an expensive mod.

17. mahall

mahall New Member

15 feet and in with the LCP! If your not comfortable with that, don't bother buying!! I'm not a sharp shooter, but outside 15 feet, my accuracy declined sharply?? So it is, what it is!! A small compact pistil that can be concealed wearing about anything!! And would probably be adequate enough to save your life within a 15 foot radius! Comfortable carry goes a long way with me! I am going to start shopping for the LC9!! Price for LC9, anyone?? New and used !!

18. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

I think mine was $329, but this was February of last year. Could be more in today's climate.

19. mahall

mahall New Member

New? Jeez I gave more than that for my LCP-:(

20. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

Yeah, I think my LGS cut me a deep discount on principle. IIRC he was originally quoting me $379. I called another shop to see what they could do, they wanted $439. I told them my LGS could do it for $379 and asked if he could flex a little on the price, he said, "Then go buy from him!"
    When I told my LGS he basically said, 'Wow, what a dick. Tell you what, forget $379, we're gonna do $329. Screw that guy.' :D