LCP issues

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by danolator, Aug 12, 2013.

1. danolator

danolator New Member

I have about 500 rounds through my LCP and two issues came up during the last range trip:
    1. With the action open, the slide release let go when inserting a new magazine chambering a round. This happened twice. I like to open the action to help cool down the barrel while shooting another gun. This one concerns me.
    2. When cleaning the weapon, I noticed the spring was beginning to overlap the guide rod. This isn't much of a surprise because the springs & guide rods in the LCP & LC9 are pretty much toys. I have a new stainless rod and better springs ordered.
    Anyone else run into this with their baby Rugers?

2. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

The springs in my wife's LCP overlapped also causing misfires, I reshaped them and solved the problem, however temporarily that may be. I was searching the forum to find out if this was part of the recall I recently heard about. Where did you get your replacement springs?

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

The bottom line is these guns are designed to be personal protection weapons. With that a minimal amount of rounds to be fired through them. They were not designed to be used for an excessive amount of rounds as a target or training pistol. That is also one reason they are made the way they are and priced as reasonably as they are! If they are then one should stock spare parts and pay attention to the frame and slide also.

4. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

My wife hasn't shot more than 300 rounds through her LCP and thoroughly cleaned it after each time it was shot. Being a self defense carry, I can't think of any gun I would want to rely on any more. I would think 300 rounds is no more than minimal to become proficient enough to defend herself.

5. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Trashed mine before it started giving me any problems.

6. thefourthD

thefourthD New Member

Agreed. I empty my LCP about once a month just to shoot it. It's not a "fun" gun to shoot by any means.

7. MenzRoom

MenzRoom New Member

Like many guns it had its flaws. Their is a new one out for 2013 with many upgrades. Better trigger pull, better sights, better mag release button among other things. Old is on the left new on the right

image-1637078453.jpg

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

i noticed the over lap issue on my lcp. i took the large open ended spring and turned itt around so the larger end was at the muzzle end of the guild rod. problem solved

9. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I had a similar experience with my wife's lcp and another firearm I replaced the guide rod in, all I did was open the end of the spring with a pair of needle nose pliers and problem solved.

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I got rid of mine and bought a Sig P238. Solved the getting beat up issue too.