LCP dry firing

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by Krisms, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Krisms

Krisms New Member

just recently got an LCP for cc. is it okay to dry fire this gun or will it cause some issues down the road?

2. mahall

mahall New Member

Best that I can remember, in the manual, Ruger doesn't discourage it. In fact, I think it's suggested to dry fire after cleaning to assure functionality is ok! Of course excessiveness in most anything can be a bad thing. Snap Caps are widely used for those apposed to dry firing. Regardless, it's a good idea to practice "draw and fire" frequently either with or without Snap Caps which ever way you think is best!! Like many Firearm topics this will be split and debated forever! Personally, I don't see a problem with occasionally practicing "draw and fire" with an empty gun!!

3. mahall

mahall New Member

Nice little gun by the way-:)

4. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

You mentioned that this is going to be a carry firearm. If this is something you may end up betting your life on, I wouldn't risk it. Snap caps aren't that expensive.

5. Krisms

Krisms New Member

thanks for your inputs!

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Don't worry about it. If you're concerned, just get a snap cap.

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

+1 on snap caps.

Although I don't see harm in occasionally doing it sans snap caps. Just don't do it with a .22.

8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

+2 on the snap caps. My "Idiot" friend (Sadly, one of many who have passed through my life not being worthy of my friendship) "Fritz" decided he was going to play cowboy with his brother's 22 and did internal damage.

9. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Though rimfire firearms are different that center fire and there is a serious risk of damage with a rimfire. Some center fire firearms recommend a snap cap in their manuals many don't mention it. But then again they aren't that expensive so get a pack of snap caps.

10. Krisms

Krisms New Member

thanks guys. yep, about to order tipton snap caps.