LC9 Range Time

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by MoHawk, Sep 4, 2013.

1. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

Hello Everyone. My name is Jeffrey and I'd like to tell you about my Ruger LC9 and a bit about our first trip to the local indoor range.

I have always been a Ruger fan. I used to own an LCR, that I purchased as soon as they came out, in .38SPL. I had an initial issue with the timing on my LCR, but it was immediately taken care of by Ruger. Their customer service is second to none. This is why I decided to purchase another Ruger.

When my tax return came in, in early March, I went out and purchased an LC9 after looking at numerous different handguns in this particular segment. I instantly fell in love with the LC9. I will admit, if I had shopped around more, I probably could have found a better deal, since I paid $414. However, I am not upset at the price I paid.

Now, I am a little ashamed to admit that I purchased my LC9 in March, and did not fire it until August 31st! :eek: !! I know, I am a horrible gun owner. I got so busy with school, work, and getting ready for a baby, that I could never seem to find the time for a trip to the range.

I have a few holsters for my LC9, but the majority of the time, I conceal with the help of my Keyhole Holsters Mini Complete Concealment Kydex holster. It is an IWB holster that uses leather as well as Kydex. Keyhole removed an entire inch of leather from the lower portion of the holster. Some like this, some do not. I LOVE this holster. It is super comfortable, and was made quickly. Keyhole Holsters is a veteran owned business which is a big deal to me. I also use an Uncle Mike's IWB and a DeSantis Tuckable.

My Ruger, is 100% stock, just as it came from the factory. The only addition I have made, is a Hogue Grip Sleeve. AS many of you know, Hogue makes a phenomenal product, and I wouldn't use any other product in its place. Eventually, I'd like to add some Firesights.

Anywho, I was finally able to get away and take my baby to the firing range. As many of you know, the Ruger LC9 is a Micro 9mm that holds 7 rounds in the magazine and 1 in the pipe. I always carry it with 8 rounds, however, at the range, I only load the magazine when I shoot. So, I shot 7 rounds between reloads. Also, I currently only have 1 magazine.

I am not a sniper, or a competition shooter. I am an average, law abiding citizen that carries a firearm for protection. I do not train at any ridiculous distances while at the range. I normally put the target 7 yards (21 feet) away from me. Occasionally, I set the target 15 yards (45 feet) away. This particular trip to the range, I set the target 7 yards away.

My first 7 rounds, of Federal 135 grain Ammunition, all ended up in a 3 inch group in the dead center of the target. The "10pt Zone" if you will. I was SERIOUSLY impressed with this little gun. I'm not perfect with it yet, nor do I have expect to be 100% in the same hole, every time. However, I am more than confident that the LC9 is a reliable (I shot 150 rounds with ZERO issues. Many more to come before it's even broken in.), 9mm that can easily fit into my pocket. I trust that I can hit an intended target on a regular basis.

Like I said before, I am not an officer of the law, or a sniper, or a competition shooter, or any thing like that. I am an average Joe that lawfully carries a gun to protect myself and my family. Please take this write up at face value.

I have included 2 pictures. One of the target after the 1st 7 rounds were shot. The other is a collage of the holster, the LC9, and shows how well it conceals.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

AND THE COMPLAINT: Ok, I have but one complaint. When you field strip the LC9 for cleaning, you have to push out a little retaining bar. I'm not sure of the technical name. It comes out easily enough, and goes back together easily enough, but the fact that I need a tool to dismantle the LC9 bothers me a little. That's it. That's my only complaint on an otherwise stellar weapon!

Attached Files:

2. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Wait, so were you carrying a gun that you had never fired?

3. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

Yes Sir. I was. Not a wise choice, but I never claimed to be smart.

4. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Yeah. Definitely not something I would do but to each his own. Personally I run about 100 rounds through my new ones and then a whole box of my chosen defensive loads before I feel good and it has saved me from possibly having real problems.

I found that my new Sig P238 hates Gold Dot ammo, jams about 50%. Thus, I haven't been able to carry that gun until I can find somebody who has Hornady Critical Defense .380 in stock.

Anyways, glad you like your new gun. Your target looks good.

5. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I think this is the best pocket gun EVER! I love how detailed your post is. And I also like that you added pictures. It is always a good idea to test a gun before you carry it, but I am glad to see you made no excuses and didnt get upset when someone pointed it out. Thanks for including us in your trip to the range. I hope you have many more and that they are all as enjoyable as this one was.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  6. JW357

JW357 New Member

Good review. I'm glad you enjoy your gun. I'm also glad you have been able to shoot it.

I held an LC9 a month or two ago at a LGS and it didn't fit my hand very well. I wouldn't mind shooting one and seeing if its any better, because I like the idea of a very small pocket 9mm. Others I'm looking at are the Sig P938 and the Diamondback DB9. The DB9 might be a little smaller than the LC9, I'm not sure.

I digress. This post isn't about my wants. I'm glad you enjoy it. Thanks for the thorough review. :)

7. mahall

mahall New Member

Cong on your purchase and success at the range. I owned the LC9, great little gun! I traded it for a little higher capacity gun, that I choose not to name, because of the certain firestorm to follow. But I had no problems with the Ruger. Great CC Weapon.

8. danolator

danolator New Member

I pocket carry my LC9 fairly regularly and I shoot a minimum of 50 rounds through it once per month. I found it necessary to replace the recoil spring and guide rod after 500+ rounds. Also, I had issues with Hornady Critical Defense ammo as the first round did not feed a couple times. I use Hydrashok or Guard Dog now with no feed issues. Very accurate & reliable little gun. I would suggest you practice from the draw @ 21 feet without relying on sights. In a real close-up scenario, you probably won't have time to take aim.

9. mahall

mahall New Member

500 round and replacing parts. Exactly why I traded mine along with the need for more carrying capacity. Your not the first I've heard of premature recoil spring issues from the LC9. It happens, but I pause when I hear problems with guns with less than 5k thousands rounds fired, after 5k you can blame it on wear&tear. Before 5k I blame it faulty or poor manufacturing. Love Ruger though, generally, they make rock solid guns!

10. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

Thanks for all the feedback Guys! I have yet to fire Defensive rounds through it, as money is tight. However, I will do that at the earliest possible time. I want to make sure that JHP rounds feed and fire without issues. I make no excuses for my lack of initial range time, as was mentioned. Thank you for not giving me too hard of a time about it. I'll keep you guys posted about my future with this gun.

Drawing from a holster and shooting at 21 feet without sights was mentioned. The range near me does not allow unholstering to shoot. The gun can come out of the holster only initially. I'm kind of limited with my range options near me.

11. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I also wrote a review on the LC9 here on the site a few months back. Yours was very good. When I bought mine last spring, they were not including the takedown tool. I had to buy that on it's own,..but Mine came with two mags (they were doing that at the time).
    So far I have found only 4 Brands of SD rounds that do not 'Hang" up the action after 4-7 rounds during the course of our testing.
    I know,..this is expensive to do, but if not me, then who?

I used 5 different 9mm's for the testing: Ruger LC9(3-1/8th" barrel) Ruger SR9(4-1/8") S&W 569(4") and 2 "92's" a Beretta & a Taurus,..(around 5")

The Hornady Critical Defense....IMHO,..(and I'm Not Jeff Cooper, Elmer Keith, Mas Ayoob, just a Guy who has been shooting on & off for almost 45 Years)..THIS is the Best SD ammo to come on the Market since the MagTech's 15+ years ago.
    I managed to get 125 rds. of this last year (50 in 38 & 75 in 9mm) and grabbed some more a few weeks back(50 more 9mm)
    so I was able to shoot 50 rds. of this between the 5 9mm's i'm testing with. While this is not the full review,..I will post as many of the pics as I can at that time. I will say that at 4 yards(12 feet), 7 yards(21 feet), & 10 yards(30 feet), The Critical Defense gave the tightest grouping(7/8ths of an inch at 4 yards, 1 inch at 7 yards, and less then 1.5 inches at 10 yards.

The Speer Gold Dot....The Golds have been around for well over 15 years also, but although the Gold dots had better expansion then most of the other brands, the groupings in the shorter tubes were wider by almost an inch. Still,..they are a bit less costly then the Hornady & Remington's Golden Sabers, which we also tested, but did not fare as well in 9mm as I expected, comparing them to
    their offering in 38+P. For the list price, stick with the lesser cost LAWMAN ammo from Speer...

The Dynamic Research Technologies Frangibile.....These rounds have great "Shock-power," but we could not get a tight group no matter what we did with these rounds. Still,..I ordered 60 more rounds for myself, Because in the longer barreled guns the groups
    were better, if still not as "tight" as I wanted.

The Finnocchi XTP(both Weights-115Gr. JHP & 124Gr. JHP) This Ammo surprised me the most,..for the cost($16 for 25 rds.) This is well designed, and properly seated & "charged" while the groups were still wider then the Hornadys', Expansion was well balanced, and Energy was off the chart!

The full review is still a few weeks away, but will also contain 38/357(for comparison), 40S&W, 45ACP, and I believe also 357SIG.
    Aside from Paper & Flat reactive(shoot n C) targets shot indoors, we also shot Outdoors at 10 yards with Bowling Pins & Watermelons placed on a 3ft high table on level ground. Special thanks to TekGreg for his help in testing at his end,..and to my Pal Lyle, an OEF & IEF vet, who is not a member here yet but maybe soon.

12. nraforlife

nraforlife New Member

NO problems with my LC9. Great piece to drop in a front pocket holster while walking the dog. Sure as heck beats the .380 I used to have.

13. DrFootball

No Doubt, but some folks(like my wife) can't handle the recoil of the 9 in a small gun. We're in process of finding her a 380 for her handbag. even the FEG 32 is too big for the "Holster" pocket of the "Cowgirl Bag" we got her for our annv. I'm thinking a Kahr or something such sized,..also the NAA is small enough.

14. mahall

mahall New Member

Consider the Ruger LCP! Great shooter for the size!

15. DrFootball

LCP is also (a) nice little shooter,..but the slide is stiff, not unlike my LC9. It's no issue for me, but some with hand strength issues like my wife, can not handle it. The new LC380 touts itself as a much lighter tensioned slide...having shot one, I can agree where that version is better on older folks and those with hand issues...

16. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

The 380 has WAY more kick than the 9mm, at least in the Ruger LC package

17. DrFootball

You sure you don't mean that the other way around?

18. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

Positive. My LC9 kicks... a bit. But nothing serious. The LCP, as well as the 380 Bodyguard which I shot at the same time as my 9mm, were HAND CANNONS! Horrible kick.

19. DrFootball

Which is what My Wife is up against when shooting any Sm.-Med. Auto because of her Carpal Tunnel. She got a new Brace for her shooting hand(right) so she can continue to learn Cowgirl Action shooting, as she's being trained locally by a family that lives lhere but travels the west to shoot in matches. I'm also learning "Wild Bunch" from them, so I have to get a stock 1911(none of mine are stock any longer) for matches...Been looking over Springfield & Rock Island, and also saw a few used older Stock Colt 1911's....
    "But Doc. you don't shoot 45 anymore!" My Bullet Guy finally got around to making me 250 reduced 45 loads for practice/competition,..so I shot 35 through my Commander, and it wasn't any worse pain wise the day after,..But I still find 9mm much easier to tolerate then 45....in any sized Gun, but esp. the compact/sub-compact Guns. my old smith 439 Bites a little also....
    2 380's I noticed that barely jump at all are the SIG 238 & the Ruger LC380....

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  20. JW357

JW357 New Member

Doc, I'd really like to get into "Wild Bunch." I think it would be a lot of fun. Cowboy stuff too, would be awesome.