LC9 Project. SLOW

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by MoHawk, Nov 1, 2013.

1. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

I've decided that I LOVE my LC9. However, I want to make her the best she can be. So, I have ordered a few parts for it.

I just ordered the Galloway Precision 20 lbs recoil spring to replace the stock 16 lbs spring. I also ordered the stainless steel guide rod to replace the factory plastic one.

The installation was fairly straightforward and I look forward to taking her to the range to see how she operates.

I am poor, so I haven't been able to order everything I want yet, but I plan to soon. I will be ordering the RTK Trigger and the support parts from Galloway soon.

Other mods: Hogue Grip Sleeve.

That's it. I carry her 99% of the time in a Keyhole Holsters Kydex IWB. I like Keyhole Holsters because they are Veteran Owned and Made In America. I carry 50gr Civil Defense rounds by Liberty Ammo. I have a few other ammo choices at home, but I like these the best so far.

Attached Files:

• a11.jpg
      a11.jpg
      File size:
      26.2 KB
      Views:
    • a12.jpg
      a12.jpg
      File size:
      28.6 KB
      Views:
    • a13.jpg
      a13.jpg
      File size:
      29.5 KB
      Views:
    • a14.jpg
      a14.jpg
      File size:
      30.1 KB
      Views:
    • a15.jpg
      a15.jpg
      File size:
      29.2 KB
      Views:
    • a16.jpg
      a16.jpg
      File size:
      24.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  2. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

Williams Fire Sights. Not Tritium (I wish), but the Fiber Optic sights damn near glow in the dark. I turned all the lights out and they were still bright. They amplified ANY ambient light such as the charge indicator light on the computer and the clock on the DVR. Leaps and bounds better than stock. And WAY better during the day!

Attached Files:

3. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

MoHawk: nice Sights! A def. Improvement over stock. No ext. 9 Rd. Mag yet? I have 2 now,...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Bear with me as I am still learning.........you made the trigger pull heavier?

5. DrFootball

I think I mentioned that I got 3 diff. Springs, and wound up putting in the Replacement #16...although my Smith pal said the orig. One is still good.

Winds: some folks like a heavier Trigger. I have a 4 Lb. Pull (in SA) on both My Taurus PT92 and my Beretta...
    A heavier trigger is desired by some for SD/HD as an added safety...Ask Balota since he competes. I have not shot in a match of any sort since 1999(except for practice runs in Rimfire)..

6. DrFootball

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1393502159.648210.jpg

Ruger's 9 Rd. Ext. Mag for the LC9. Some notes on this. If you have small hands this may not be for you. My hands aren't Big by my standards, but I have thick fingers, so these work for me even better the the 7 rd. With pinky rest. As I mentioned somewhere else, do not SLAM these in hard. Too many time doing that causes your mag catch to loosen and the mag won't stay in. The springs on these are even Tighter then the 7's also. Load and unload them a few times and it gets better, to the point that I don't need A loader like I do with double stacks and hi-Caps...
    (Photo thanks to Ruger's website since my pic of the mag was too blurry...)

7. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

While I like the LC9, the stock trigger may be one of the worst I have ever pulled! Whats with the half-inch of travel before you start getting resistance anyway?!

8. DrFootball

Big Byrd: mine was never "Slack" to begin with, maybe the one you tried was a Lemon, it happens. By and large, their CS is the best in the Biz. My LC9 is 2 years old in about 6 weeks, and is over 1500 rounds( anyone who says they don't practice with their "Carry Gun" my get a nasty surprise one day....)...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  9. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Interesting I just figured thats how it was made. I will have to pick up a few more and compare them I guess!

10. DrFootball

If you weren't 1400+ miles away from me I'd tell you you could try mine.....I did change springs, but it's the same tension as the Orig. And I take my laser Lyte on and off as I please....

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  11. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

See, the springs feel light to me too compaired to other small nines like Kel-Tech and Diamondback...

12. DrFootball

I posted this previously... ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1393804843.742950.jpg

After a cleaning...Notice the Pin shown for Comparison...anyone care to tell me where it's from? ( no cheating and 3T is excluded because he knows already....) the person who is the first correct answer gets a shout out on the Next Podcast....

13. DrFootball

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1393805135.187586.jpg

Shooting out in the desert for our Anniversary.(yes, bad me finger on trigger,..but she was empty) first rd. Of a double tap Broke the drywall there in three, second on chipped the Brick, and knocked the square box target off the brick...ammo was all 115Gr. Ball PMC Bronze...

14. DrFootball

I fired my friend's PF-9 ( he's an ex navy SP and did 10 yrs. NYPD before moving to Az. For the last 15 he's been a property manager and real estate broker), And it felt like I was Pulling the trigger back on a Browning .50 cal that wasn't cleaned for about 10 years....

15. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

I was compairing recoil springs but yes its also known to have a less than favorable trigger pull. Fortunantly, there are as many articles on how to improve it as there are days in a year!

16. DrFootball

If I were to do anything else internal it would be the Galloway trigger....

17. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

ZGs trigger pull is very long on her LC9.

You can't fix stupid!

18. DrFootball

Different folks, different guns....

19. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

No, I made the recoil spring stiffer. 20lbs instead of 16lbs.

Agreed. One of the worst triggers ever. However, still insanely accurate for it's size and that's a big deal with a crap trigger.

Galloway Precision makes a trigger kit, for cheap, that I plan on purchasing to improve upon the stock trigger.

20. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

I will eagerly await your update about said trigger kit!