LC380 misfires

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by kjdeut, Mar 4, 2014.

1. kjdeut

kjdeut New Member

I have had an LC380 for about 6 months now and really enjoy shooting it. I took it to the range a couple of weeks ago and it began misfiring. I could hear the click of the hammer but it did not fire. It got to the point where it misfired on every round in the mag. When I inspected the rounds I noticed some of the primers didn't have a mark and others had a very small indent, which is telling me it is a firing pin/light strike issue.

I have shot between 500 -1000 rounds without a problem and so looking for the easiest fix first, I gave it a good cleaning. Took it to the range last night and got through 1 mag, 7 shots without a problem. After that first mag it began misfiring again. I put the misfired rounds back in one by one and they all fired, so I know it is not the rounds. I have also used various manufactures.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? I own 8 Rugers and have been really happy with them. I am going to give Ruger a call tomorrow but was hoping it is something that I may be able to fix without having to send it in.

Thanks,
    Ken

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

kjdeut,

It sounds like you may have some debris in the Firing Pin Channel inside the slide. 500-1000 rounds is a lot of rounds without a gun getting a complete stripped cleaning. If you can not do it I would suggest you take it to a competent gun shop who is recommended by Ruger or someone locally who is competent and preferably who sells and services Ruger products. Since it works periodically that is my take on the issue. Also be sure your slide is going completely into battery when fired or manually closed! Sometimes it is an issue of improper lubrication of the slide rails and other parts. They should look a little wet after lubing them! Good luck and I am sure others here with more experience with Ruger Semis will add to this. But I do know this can happen with any pistol that has the grit in the firing pin channel.

3. kjdeut

kjdeut New Member

I said it before and so have many others, Ruger has great customer service. I called today about the problem and they are sending out an entire new slide, no charge, so I don't have to send the gun in. Hope this takes care of the issue.

FYI - Cleaning the firing pin channel did not help and the firing pin itself looked fine.

Ken

4. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

How did this work out? Did the replacement Slide resolve the issue?

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

5. kjdeut

kjdeut New Member

After putting in the new slide it still misfired. Ended up calling Ruger and sending it in. Turned out it was the mod I put in to shorten the trigger pull. Ruger removed the mod and put new factory parts back in and sent it back to me for No Charge (including the shipping). They even sent back the parts I used to make the modification. I have shoot 2-3 hundred rounds since getting it back without a single problem.
    I said it before, Ruger has the best customer service ever and has a dedicated customer with me.

Ken

6. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

they are fantastic!!

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

7. cluznar

cluznar New Member

So the LC380 is a good gun? How is the original trigger? Being a locked breech pistol is recoil light on the LC380? Have you ever tried Corbon Pwrball ammo?
    :popcorn:

8. kjdeut

kjdeut New Member

I think it is a good gun, fun to shoot, very little recoil, small and easy to carry but under power. I carry it if I am wearing clothes that make a larger gun hard to hide, but normally I carry the Ruger SR9c. I do my own reloading so no, I haven't tried Corbon Pwrball ammo. Before I reloaded 380 ammo I used whatever was on sale for my range ammo and other then the problem mentioned above that has now gone away, the 380 took everything.

Ken

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Some mods are not worth doing. You wanted a shorter trigger, but got misfires. I didn't see where you mentioned that in the original post. As with any mods, if something worked before, but doesn't after the mod, then suspect the mod. I hope others can learn from this experience.

Thanks for the update.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

its a very good gun ive been carrying one in the pocket daily for almost two years. powerball is terrible ammo especially in 380 it just lacks penetration. i use fmj or federal hydrashok. both do well in a 380 for penetration.

11. Dakota1

Dakota1 Active Member

Well....I've said it before & I'll say it again:

A firearms manufacturer spends millions of $$$$$ on testing & design. Then a gun owner wants to "Improve" on the product by spending a few dollars on "customization," then is surprised when he ends up with an unreliable gun.

It boggles the mind.......

12. kjdeut

kjdeut New Member

Yup, you are correct. Odd thing was that the misfires didn't start right after I did the mod which is why I didn't realize the mod was causing the problem. Also now with hindsight I should have removed the mod as one of my trouble shooting steps, but again with the misfires not starting until sometime after the mod it never occurred to me. One other thing I started doing is keeping better records when I do a mod.

Thanks again for your reply and as you I hope others can learn from my experience.

K