Lazy Prepper

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by knfxda, Mar 20, 2012.

1. knfxda

knfxda New Member

OK, let me start of by saying that I am not a prepper, but I am interested. And I wanted to know what others thought about this:

Bud's Emergency Survival/Food Pack

Now, I'd expect hard-core preppers to scoff at this, but what if this was the difference between prepping and not prepping?

Is this a good start for someone that doesn't want to figureout all of the individual items that they should get?

Is there a better ready-to-go pack that's available at a comprable price?

Asked another way, if you had a friend that wasn't a prepper, but was willing to drop $260 on this, would you tell them to go for it, or would you point them in another direction?

[​IMG]

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Personally, I would point them in another direction. For that amount of money you can put away quite a bit more than that.

BUT........if that's what gets one started thinking about it, then I say go for it. Hopefully his interest will grow from there and he will investigate different ways of preserving and prepping.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Honestly it sounds like a good deal. What you may want to do is go to cheaperthandirt.com and take the time to find each individual product of equal or better value and add up the prices to see what you are really looking at.
    That said you may want to do some research on filters. I'm looking at one for around $300. The price sounds crazy but it will process 30,000 gallons and has a 1 Micron filter. Basically you could drink out of a prison toilet for the next 10 years with it. And dehydrating and storing your own food is much cheaper than buying the pre-packaged.

4. bkt

bkt New Member

That's pretty good but maybe a little pricey. The biggest thing that's missing is knowledge. People need to know how to really make the most of their pack BEFORE they need it and it's dark and it's raining and they're scared and they don't have a plan....

Understanding that what's in your pack can help you in a lot of situations is very different from knowing how to actually use what's in your pack.

5. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

I bet you could build a better one for less. I cant believe all that only weighs 18 lbs

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Very well put bkt. I generally only have items of multiple use.

7. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I agree that it seems kind of high for what is there. It is all usable stuff, though. If I was in the position of needing at least the minimum right stinking now it would be a good way to do it. Otherwise picking up what is there and what isn't there and making your own might get you better value and better kit.

8. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Could that person put together a better kit? Yes.
    Will that person put together a better kit?.....

If it's the difference between having a kit and not having a kit at all, then no brainer, get the kit. Hell, throwing a few tins of sardines, a lighter, and a gallon of water in the trunk is better than having nothing in the trunk.

9. Seven

Seven New Member

10. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Anything you do today to make tomarrow better is prepping. If prepacked kits is your style, fine. Like most things in life, you get out what you put in. I'm not going to scoff at the kit.

11. knfxda

knfxda New Member

That's the rub. This would more like be my first foray into a prep bag. It might be where I stop or it might just be the beginning.

Thanks, I'll check them out. If I'm going to do an all-in-one, I'd like to get the best I can for the money.

12. Mason609

Mason609 Active Member

Honestly, most already made kits, while useful, have low quality items.

You'd be surprised at what building a kit yourself would actually cost, using and already made kit as an example. You also have to look at each kit is for an individual, so if you have a family, they'll need one as well. You also want food items that don't need to be cooked (to include having hot water added). The reasons for this are simple - you may not have the time or be able to.

I'd actually go with this kit http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_K7%20B400_A_name_E_3-Day%20Emergency%20Kit and add to it.

13. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

Yeah, just use there list of what's in it and make your own.

14. Kodeman

Kodeman Member

Don't forget to include any medications that you or someone in your family may be on.

15. Mason609

Mason609 Active Member

I always forget presciptions... hardly ever on any.

One thing that none of thses kits mentions is clothing....

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Better that kit than nothing at all. When you get it take it apart and use it. Having the survival pack is useless unless you know exactly how to use it. Generally I think that the kits have a bunch of fluff and stuff with little use in them. Lots of bandages and stuff but short on food.

Thing is that many preppers have no idea what the hell they are doing. Storing cans of food is all well and good, but if you don't have a can opener and know how to cook it you are screwed. Same thing with a first aid kit. Storing booze for trade is a little crazy but on the other hand knowing how to distill booze would be a good skill to have if things go that far south. Or guns for that matter (did you see the guy who shot his thumb off on TV?).

17. Mason609

Mason609 Active Member

You've never just opened a can of beans and chowed down? What about beefaroni?

A BOB is only good for a very short time. 2-3 days of food (and water), a change of clothing (depending on the weather/environment), needed prescription meds, a BASIC 1st aid kit. PER PERSON...

Now, depending on the need for a BOB, there are other things you will need to add. But, it should only be what you will need to get you from point A to point B (being a bug out location - like a shelter, or a safe house of sorts) where you and a few others have stashed much more survival items - more water, food, clothing, meds, 1st aid, cooking gear, sleeping gear and comfort items, toiletries, weapons (if needed). And honestly, there should be a few of these locations, that way there are more options.

I have way too many "doomsday" scenerio friends... :(

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  18. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

My "scenario" involves the most likely thing to happen around here which is a major earthquake. I know many people who have kits they bought at Costco in their car but they have never opened them. I have looked at the list of contents on some of those kits and they have a lot of stuff that would probably just get cast aside. Many of this type of "prepper" will have radios and flashlights but with dead batteries. I know quite a few people who have become licensed Ham radio operators but don't know how to program their radios, let alone how to properly handle themselves in an emergency on the radio.

Having an emergency bag with you (perhaps in your car) is a good idea regardless of where you live or what the likely disaster would be (say tornadoes or hurricanes). Some of these scenarios are without warning and some are not. Emergencies generally cannot be predicted. Preparing for doomsday is just a little bit nuts IMHO but whatever floats your boat.

19. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

If that is what you want to maybe stake your life on, well go for it.

For what you get, it's way pricey. But hey, guess it beats nothing at all.

Jimmy

20. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Is this directed at somebody? You should quote if it is.