Lazy mans fire !

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by dango, Feb 3, 2013.

1. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

As we know , there are many ways to start a fire! A shoe string can be made into a "BOW" vs "Hand Twisting" , a piece of "ICE" can be made into "LENS" !

Consider this:A piece of discarded trash , a clear glass bottle or even a broken bottle as long as the bottom isn't broken !
    1-Gather fuel for starter , twigs , kindling , etc. !
    2-Shove three sticks with little branches into the ground ,(TRI-POD), to rest the bottom of glass.By observation , one will notice it's a magnifying glass.The trick is to adjust twigs just so to get the best sun-light beam through lens.
    3-Best beam established , you then lay your fuel(wood , twigs , etc.) under the beam !
    4-Time passes while you relax and do nothing and you will notice the starter fuel begins to smoke an ember!
    5-blow the "Ember" into flame and have enough fuel to keep a fire .!

HOPE THIS HELPS..! :)

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Have you personally used this method to start a fire?

3. hmh

hmh New Member

I have tried something similar. The problem I had was the sun moves in the sky and shifts the point of impact. Ergo no fire. I now always have a bic in my pocket.

4. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Golly Dango, you want to knock out a little youtube video for us of
    just how easy this method is? I kinda sorta think you are jerkin' our
    chain----please prove me wrong.:)

5. dango

Hello,this is Debo,Dan's wife. He said to change starter to note book paper,something with lower flash point,whatever that.

I seen him do this alots of times and he call you bonehead. LOL I'll call him later
    and keep crazy man alive .

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Using Ice and broken bottles to start a fire while you relax? I have to wonder if you have ever really been cold?:confused:

7. dango

As you speak ,my crazy man is out in a tent on skis some place.?
    It is 17 on the thermo thing and I will let him anwser this himself some day?

I will call him at 7 he will laugh.

8. dango

I would absolutely LOVE to share some of my tails of adventure ,but found I'M MET
    with SCRUTINY and DIS-BELIEF.! I also don't feel the need to "Vindicate" anything ..! I'm a solo-ist and don't do this for the sake of others..!

Back to fire thing ! Find something with a lower flash point.! News paper , note book paper , (Not magazines)Fiz stick ,(a piece of pine peeled with pocket knife) , etc..

I've been doing this exact thing since I was a child and it does work under "Optimal" conditions.!

Optimal Conditions: Clear day , perfect beam , low flash point fuel.
    So's , your saying BS , OK then........! :) :confused:

Hiwall , I have done this exact thing 100,s of times !

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  9. dango

Way back when I was but a boy , I read a book called , "How To Survive In the Wildness". It was written by a retired Royal Canadian Mount-y , Name of
    (something-Townsend) as I recall. Many, if not all of the things I read do work in the field..!
    That was one bad MO FO..! Search and find this book , a very good read !
    I was 9 when I read it and read it 6 times..!

I am 60 now and have tried successfully many things..!:)

10. dango

You guys are spoiled ? Back in the day , before cell-phones , PC,s , GPS,s etc. !

I had to Actually get up , go to Library or order books via "Pony-express !

Then , I would start researching the Year before any major adventure !
    I then would have to send off for (Topographical Grid Maps ) to research just what I was getting myself into ! Weather trends , Geo. all things I needed to know what gear do I need to be there ! It usually took about 6 weeks to get these maps and they cost about $2.50 a grid , some times I would need ten grids to cover entire area !
    Compass , watch , maps , altimeter with barometer , binoculars and a whole lot of research..!<All mentioned are "Analog" no batteries !
    You want videos ? So did I......! :D

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  11. Renegade44

Renegade44 New Member

I watched a show called "Rocket City Rednecks" I think. They took a plain old pen laser (red) a magnifying glass and popped 6 balloons on a bench from 2-7 feet. I didn't realize a regular laser was that powerful. They said that strengths of lasers go from red, green, to blue from weakest to strongest strength. Could easily me he'd to make a quick fire.

12. dango

Now that I didn't know ! Thanks , I'm gettin smarter all the time .

Great tip..! ;)

13. dango

In no way do I mean to be rude or insensitive! You ask for things that 1000s and the 1000s of hours of research the "HARD-WAY"! No "Inter-net" No magic phone book! Some times , it would take me over a year to be directed to desired data.

Mostly through tons of magazines , Hunting , Fishing , Back-packing , some times I would find some obscure little add in the back pages of these mags.
    "POOF"-I found it , finally ! :)
    I'll tell you anything I know,take it or leave it , Mine is through the school of "HARD-KNOCKS" and many a pact with GOD himself , (IF you get me through this. I promise etc.)

Well , I lied ! :eek: I learned how to do it better and let old GOD rest and not worry ! :D

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Huh. I would have said using a BIC would'a been the easy way. I second the "we need a You Tube video idea." This method sounds exceedingly difficult as best, and impossible, uhhh, not too far behind.....

15. dango

Take it or leave it! I learned this by an old "Hill-Billy" with nothing better to do! Every day , he would gather up 4 or 5 broken bottle bottoms and set them on rocks !
    That old man would sit there and just watch them.

I was 8 years old when Mr. Jones moved into that house just down the corner.
    Born at 200MPH. and always curious , I'd talk to him , funny accent ,but nice old feller! We together sat and waited, He didn't tell me what I was waiting for , he just winked. What seemed to be 14 hours (Really only 10-12 min.) POOF .
    FIRE ! I been doing this ever since ! True story ! :p

16. dango

In the realm of possibilities , the limits lie with-in YOU ! :p :)

17. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

I'm gonna have to try this one out. I can definitely see how it would work. If you get the focal point just right it doesn't take long at all for the heat to get there. Do you point the outer part of the bottle bottom down or the inner part down? Or does the curve of the bottle make a difference?

18. eldarbeast

eldarbeast New Member

Chuck Norris can start a fire from the friction from rubbing two pieces of ice together...

eldar

19. dango

I can "RUB" old Chuck into a blaze , He's gettin old and I got a .45-70 back-up!

:D......:)

20. dango

When using rocks , it is easier with broken edges up ! :)