Lawyers with C.C. specialty - who has used them?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by chloeshooter, Mar 3, 2013.

1. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I just recently completed my C.C. qualification class in Minnesota. The class was 5 hours, 3 1/2 of which was situational and legal discussions. Class summary - in just about every circumstance you can imagine, if you shoot someone you are going to get arrested. Good chance you will be held 48-72 hours. The class instructor recommended have a C.C. - friendly lawyer on retainer if you are going to carry.

Is this a common practice? Or is having a few phone numbers in your wallet good enough? Thoughts?

2. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

in your wallet is not good enough. you need to have made contact with them ahead of time, and someone you'd call needs to have their number(s) too. I have the personal cell phone numbers of my GP attorney, and one 2A attorney. Another 2A attorney still uses a 24hr answering service. Looking into a third 2A attorney.

3. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

In Alabama the law specifically states you will not be arrested if you use deadly force in self defense.
    I am glad I live here!!!!:D

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

You will not be arrested in most cases. The point is you can be detained. You can be held up to 72 Hrs. in any state.:(

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  5. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

agreed meant to say detained, not arrested

6. txpossum

txpossum New Member

As a former Assistant Criminal District Attorney and 20 year criminal defense attorney in Texas, let me say that, if questioned by the police, give ONLY the bare minimum of information necessary until you talk to an attorney. Do not SIGN a statement without an attorney. The magic words are: "I will be happy to cooporate with you, and will have MY LAWYER call to set up an appointment."

7. JWagner

JWagner New Member

Here is one outfit that can sign you up for legal defense in advance. Beyond the web site and one magazine article about them, I have nothing extra to offer. It looks like an interesting deal , but I have never heard from anyone that has used them.

http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/

8. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

In Texas there is a group of three lawyers that set up a firm to protect those who CC. It's called Texas Law Shield and they work kind of like an insurance company. You buy a yearly membership and get a card that has their response number and something to hand the police that says something like "I will talk when I have my lawyer". If you have to use it, you can call their number 24/7 and talk to an actual lawyer that will tell you what to say and then come out to the crime scene to represent you at no charge. Pretty cool deal if you ask me. Never had to use that service though, thank God.

9. gfroniewski

gfroniewski New Member

Came here to post this. Joined last month hehe.

10. JimRau

I was allowed to delete this I did it my way!:D

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  11. JimRau

In AL it specificity states you can't be taken in physical custody, detained at the scene, yes, but detained any where else, no!:D

The law uses the term 'arrest' so I checked with both the DA and the Circuit Judge and they both verified you could not take the person into physical custody with out good PC, that is case law here!

12. Westy

Westy New Member

I'm in Minnesota, and if you need the name of a lawyer who represents gun owners, I can give you the one my instructor gave me for reference.

PM me.

13. Chase127

Chase127 New Member

Ahmen brother

14. WonderingMind

WonderingMind New Member

I am looking for someone who offers this service in AZ. My Google-fu is weak.

15. Westy

Westy New Member

I have a list of second amendment lawyers in Minnesota if anyone is interested. :D

16. Pistol_Pete

Pistol_Pete New Member

In my chl class there was group called TX Lawshield that cam and talked to us. They offer their service and take care of everything as long as you are within the law when you have to draw your weapon. You can pay monthly or yearly. They cover chl holders and non chl holders. As well as your children if they are ever forced into a situation. I think for one year of coverage I paid 120.

17. Westy

Westy New Member

Hey all-here's a link to the Shooter's Bar, a state by state list of Pro-Second Amendment Attorneys.

http://www.theshootersbar.org/

I printed a wallet card with a couple preferred names and numbers. If you ever need the info, you better have it with you! ;)

18. phildenton

phildenton New Member

What are the membership fees like?
    And is there something like that in wa?

19. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I think I paid around $130 a year or so. I have a CHL so it is a little higher than if I didn't. Also since I move around a lot I have their "cross-state" protection. They will represent me in any state that has reciprocity with Texas for concealed carry.

The selling point for their service for me was, any shooting in Texas (justified or not) has to go to the Grand Jury for a hearing. The lawyer fees for advice and whatnot just to get to the Grand Jury will cost a minimum of $10k and most in recent years have been around $20k. $130 a year is much cheaper than $10k!

If you have to undergo trial then thats even more money. The guy in Houston a few years ago that shot the two guys who were robbing his neighbors house with a shotgun had over $400k in lawyer fees before he was acquitted.