Firearms Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious I have been hearing a lot of different things and seems there is some gray areas. I understand it that you have to be 21 to buy a stripped lower, however I was talking with local guns store guy about it and he said there was some "gray areas" in that I could order a stripped lower from say spikes or yhm and ship it to him and he could put a buffer tube and stock on it and he could let me pick it up. He also said that since he sales stripped lowers from time to time i could bring my stock and buffer and put it on and buy it. The reason I ask is I am a short distance from being 21 and would like to get one sooner than later. I am in no way trying to do something illegal just trying to understand my options and if this is actually true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,928 Posts
If it has a serial number it has to be shipped to a FFL -
Don't know about age in all states but buying a modern receiver is the same as buying a complete gun-
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,163 Posts
Disclaimer- am NOT a lawyer- I am actually skilled labor- but-

The stripped lower is neither a rifle nor a shotgun. Fed law (18 US Code section 922) says you can buy a rifle or shotgun at age 18. The stripped lower is neither fish nor fowl- it is classed as "other" (Rifles and shotguns are defined as being fired from the shoulder). It COULD be built into pistol or rifle. Once a stock goes on it, it becomes a rifle. It cannot be changed to pistol without doing paperwork with the atf.

Your LGS is trying to look out for you, and keep you legal (and himself out of hot water)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
c3shooter said:
Disclaimer- am NOT a lawyer- I am actually skilled labor- but-

The stripped lower is neither a rifle nor a shotgun. Fed law (18 US Code section 922) says you can buy a rifle or shotgun at age 18. The stripped lower is neither fish nor fowl- it is classed as "other" (Rifles and shotguns are defined as being fired from the shoulder). It COULD be built into pistol or rifle. Once a stock goes on it, it becomes a rifle. It cannot be changed to pistol without doing paperwork with the atf.

Your LGS is trying to look out for you, and keep you legal (and himself out of hot water)
I understand but is it legal for me to order a stripped lower and him put my stock on there and then give me the lower or for me to buy a stripped lower from him after he puts my own stock on it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
0 Posts
Powell, i am not being sarcastic, but if you're a short ways from 21, just wait until then, and it wiil be irrelevent. C3 is correct. a stripped lower or reciever is termed "other". when i purchased my Remington M700 action from Brownells and had it it shipped to my FFL, it was termed, "other". with and AR lower, it can be built either way, and i can see where there could be some confusion. as a rifle and over the age of 18, you're legal, but as a pistol and under 21, you're not. but a stripped lower is a stripped lower. so i am also confused!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
axxe55 said:
Powell, i am not being sarcastic, but if you're a short ways from 21, just wait until then, and it wiil be irrelevent. C3 is correct. a stripped lower or reciever is termed "other". when i purchased my Remington M700 action from Brownells and had it it shipped to my FFL, it was termed, "other". with and AR lower, it can be built either way, and i can see where there could be some confusion. as a rifle and over the age of 18, you're legal, but as a pistol and under 21, you're not. but a stripped lower is a stripped lower. so i am also confused!
Haha I understand I have been thinking that may be best then I don't have to worry about a darn thing cause it's so confusing
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,163 Posts
is it legal for me to order a stripped lower
Yes- just not legal to transfer it to you AS A STRIPPED LOWER. It will need to be shipped TO a FFL. If the FFL adds the stock, and THEN records the transfer as Rifle, you would be legal.

Once again- your local gun shop is giving you righteous info.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
0 Posts
Haha I understand I have been thinking that may be best then I don't have to worry about a darn thing cause it's so confusing
Yes- just not legal to transfer it to you AS A STRIPPED LOWER. It will need to be shipped TO a FFL. If the FFL adds the stock, and THEN records the transfer as Rifle, you would be legal.
Powell, C3 seems to have it nailed down pretty good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
c3shooter said:
Yes- just not legal to transfer it to you AS A STRIPPED LOWER. It will need to be shipped TO a FFL. If the FFL adds the stock, and THEN records the transfer as Rifle, you would be legal.

Once again- your local gun shop is giving you righteous info.
Sounds great thank you. Just makes me comfortable to hear more than one person tell me that its legal as I would like to stay away from any trouble! Once again thanks for clarifying.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,243 Posts
I understand but is it legal for me to order a stripped lower and him put my stock on there and then give me the lower or for me to buy a stripped lower from him after he puts my own stock on it.
I think he may need to have a manufacturing ffl to do that. I may be wrong though since I know very little about ffls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
texaswoodworker said:
I think he may need to have a manufacturing ffl to do that. I may be wrong though since I know very little about ffls.
They do put guns together in house so I assume they have one. Good point though I could see that may being an issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
I am an Oklahoma resident who has been working in south Texas. Earlier in the year I attempted to buy a stripped lower, I was informed that you had to be over 21 and a state resident in order buy one. A few weeks later, I went to a second gun dealer and explained the situation. He told me that he could sell me a complete lower, since it would have a stock. He pulled an AR off of the shelf that he had assembled with a Spikes lower, popped the upper off of it, and offered it to me for $275. When he called in the background check, he was informed that he was not allowed to sell me the lower, stripped or completed. They would only approve the sale of a complete rifle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
buffalolake said:
I am an Oklahoma resident who has been working in south Texas. Earlier in the year I attempted to buy a stripped lower, I was informed that you had to be over 21 and a state resident in order buy one. A few weeks later, I went to a second gun dealer and explained the situation. He told me that he could sell me a complete lower, since it would have a stock. He pulled an AR off of the shelf that he had assembled with a Spikes lower, popped the upper off of it, and offered it to me for $275. When he called in the background check, he was informed that he was not allowed to sell me the lower, stripped or completed. They would only approve the sale of a complete rifle.
Wow interesting I will just wait until my store gets some lowers in so he can assemble it for me so I do not run into any problems with ordering one and being stuck with it but not being able to use it
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,243 Posts
Wow interesting I will just wait until my store gets some lowers in so he can assemble it for me so I do not run into any problems with ordering one and being stuck with it but not being able to use it
That's a good idea. I'd tell him what lower and stock/buffer tube you were wanting for it, and have him order them. He could then assemble it and sell it to you. If I understand the law correctly, this is no different from ordering a custom rifle.

I'd run this by him first. If he has the correct FFLs, then he should know if this is perfectly legal.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,163 Posts
Tex- if he is doing a lot of them, that would be for the FFL to have covered with his ATF Industry Inspector. From the point of the buyer, different matter.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top