Law regarding out of state conceal carry permit new york residents

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by M1GARANDBING, Jun 23, 2013.

1. M1GARANDBING

M1GARANDBING New Member

Anyone know the laws, if I live in New York and don't have a pistol or CCP in New York, but I will be going on vacation in free America for a couple of weeks and have a Utah CCP can I purchase a hand gun for protection while out of state, and sell it before returning to occupied New York ? Do you need to legally be able to own it in your home state? ( in this case home state being New York ) ???

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

You cannot purchase a handgun out of state. :(

3. dcilten

dcilten New Member

I'm pretty sure you can only purchase handguns in the state you are a legal resident of, regardless of what CCW permits from other states you have.

4. M1GARANDBING

M1GARANDBING New Member

Wow everything just crashed that sucks I guess my utah and Florida CCP are useless

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I suppose you could carry someone else's gun. ;)

6. M1GARANDBING

M1GARANDBING New Member

Legally?? If I get pulled over for something and the cop starts harassing... I'm aloud to barrow a gun? Mayb I could just rent one for my time in " America "

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sorry- Federal law- only a FFL holder may acquire a handgun in a state other than their state of residence. Title 18, Section 922.

8. dcilten

dcilten New Member

You could legally buy one from another state, but it would have to be shipped to an FFL in the state you live in.

9. c3shooter

That is correct- you may BUY one most anywhere- but you may only ACQUIRE it in your state of residence.

10. M1GARANDBING

M1GARANDBING New Member

Well I'm back to square one, I can acquire one in my state of residents legally because I can't get a pistol permit in my county in New York because I need signatures of all who I reside with who are over 18 and my parents and some siblings wouldn't sign!! Damm media scared them to think guns are mini monsters!! I reckon the only way is to make more $$ and move out of this once beautiful state to a FREE STATE DOWN SOUTH away from all them liberals ..... Well thanks for your time

11. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

sounds like its time to get your own place hopefully in another state x NY'er since 1992

12. M1GARANDBING

M1GARANDBING New Member

I'm only 21 $$$ issue again one day oh that one day I will be freed from Egypt-NY

13. phildenton

phildenton New Member

The exception though is by inheritance. Still pretty strict rule-wise, anyone know how that works, whats required?

14. c3shooter

Phil- also in 18 USC 922. The executor of an estate can ship an inherited firearm directly to the recipient WITHOUT going thru a FFL, so long as the firearm is legal to possess at the other end. Or you can pick it up. Applies to a bequest in a will, or inheritance without a will (known as intestate). Obviously, if the firearm is an NFA firearm, you need to touch 2nd base with the ATF, but an NFA arm transfers with no tax.

Title 18, US Code, Section 922

It shall be unlawful...

3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State

Further down it exempts rifles or shotguns acquired from a FFL holder in another state.

15. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

get yourself a ny pistol license, by a gun then check out the states that honor your ny and ut permits..........there are many

http://www.troopers.ny.gov/Firearms/PPB-3.pdf

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travel/

16. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Thank you c3, you're always abundantly knowledgeable

17. M1GARANDBING

M1GARANDBING New Member

I wish it was that simple, in Rockland New York it's required that anyone you live with who is over 18 must sign that they don't mind you having a pistol! I can't get everyone to sign! New York's media... Butchered they're brains the guns are mmmooonnsstterss!! Well when I have enough money I'm out of this dump.