law enforcement

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by stoppingpower, Jan 13, 2012.

1. stoppingpower

stoppingpower New Member

Thinking about getting in law enforcement but not sure were to start or what I need to get started. If i get in do I choose if I wanna be a town cop, sheriff or highway patrolman? How do shifts work what's the pay start are their good perks? What about the academy is that rough( which I don't care if it is) but nice to know please help

2. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

My son went to college, earned a BA in Law Enforcement. He started applying once finished and finally nailed a Police Officer job at the Mpls/St. Paul airport...a great job and he loves it.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Like a lot of other jobs, you can go to the head honcho (local police chief) and they will tell you pretty much all you need to know.

4. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Do I remember right, that you are pulling down 60k in wyoming. I believe you said that in a post about 3 weeks ago. If that's the case, I don't think you will match it. Maybe?

5. stoppingpower

stoppingpower New Member

Yeah your Right I said that. But I want something more outta life. Yeah I sit here and lick my self for 12 hrs and get paid good but still I want something more?? Do u no what I mean.. its gard to explain

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

What, exactly, "more" out of life do you want? Do you think that law enforcement will provide it? That should provide your answer.

In my experience it is hard to get much out of life when working for somebody else.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Wait, you lick yourself for a living?

8. stoppingpower

stoppingpower New Member

I think where I'm getting at is Id like to help people out

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Many ways of doing that. Law enforcement is one.

10. stoppingpower

stoppingpower New Member

Yeah I'm going to ask some of the cops around here and see what they have to say

11. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Good idea. Also talk to the Chief. If he won't talk to you I would surmise he wouldn't be a good guy to work for. Same goes for the Highway Patrol and the Sheriff. If the top boss won't talk to potential recruits in my opinion they are generally not good to work for. That is specific to public service agencies, not the private sector.

12. stoppingpower

stoppingpower New Member

Good point! I didn't even think of that. Right now there are only 2 town cops and the are old so it wouldn't surprise me if they retired in the next five or so years. I want their job so I want to get my foot in the door in law so it makes me look good and it could be an easy snag

13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

ROFL! And get paid $60K for doing that. :eek:

14. stoppingpower

stoppingpower New Member

Lol pretty muxh I'm at work right now and I'm literally not doing jack ****.. and I still got 10 more hours

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have only worked in the private sector so my opinions are slanted that way. In the public sector (especially in a small town) you should be able to walk in and talk to the Chief. Get a relationship going. See if you like him (or her). That should be easy enough to do. Do the same with the Sheriff and Highway Patrol (not as easy but still possible).

My friend's son joined the local Sheriff's "junior deputy" program (whatever it is called) and found that he didn't like the people that he dealt with. He didn't meet the Sheriff through that program though. I think it would be mandatory that the Sheriff would go and mingle with the recruits just for good PR. In all fairness the Sheriff is a corrupt piece of crap and many of the people in the recruiting arm are more interested in finding bullies and thugs who can pass the background check. that's just the way the Sheriff rolls. There are some really good deputies in the department but the culture in that office is not one I care for.

16. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

....it's gard to explain.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

I can't even follow this thread guys, all I keep thinking about is the MSU mascot.

Bubba turned to billy bob and said "I wish I could do that"
    Billy bob said "man that dog would bite you"

18. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

You have enough time to explain then, don't you?

19. stoppingpower

stoppingpower New Member

Damn that sucks I hope its not that way here ill be really upset if it turns out that the cops are douches... I know for a fact there is one town cop that is here and he's a total d bag but I don't know the chief at all

20. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

The only way to know is to meet them. If one cop in a three cop town is a douchebag that does not bode well in my mind. Get to know them, let them know your intentions. Know what you are getting into. Walk in to the Police station and ask to see the Chief, tell them why. You may have to come back but you should be able to see him. Basically what I am suggesting is that you interview your potential future employer.

My friend's son is now a welder. He totally abandoned the law enforcement idea after his experience with the Jr. deputy program.