latest with my rem700 .30-06

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by jbshoots, Jan 4, 2012.

1. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

i posted some targets back when i first got this rifle, some were good and some were bad. here are some groups from my latest trip to the range. i think i got the feel of this rifle down, and the mid priced Nikon Prostaff scope has held its zero pretty well since the first time i sighted it in several hundred rounds and many months ago. (although looking at these groups i guess i could go up 3 or 4 clicks)

these are 4 round groups from 100 yards. sitting at a bench.

the 1 in.
    [​IMG]

and the 1.5 in.
    [​IMG]

those are with your basic factory remington core-lokt 165 gr sp rounds.

others may do better groups, but for me these are just fine...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Looks good, but a bit low. If you want a 100 yard zero, then yes come up 3-4 clicks. I prefer a 35 yard near zero and a 200 yard far zero, about 1.5" high at 100 yards. With that said...8-10 clicks might be better.

3. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

But expensive, aren't they?
    Those are some really nice groups, ESPECIALLY for hunting ammo, from what I'm told.

4. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I am a big fan of Federal Power Shok ammo from Walmart. They are affordable and group very well in my rifles. I have harvested several whitetails with them.

5. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

@dks7895-100 yard zero is all i'm going for right now. that's as far as the public range i go to has, and since this rifle was meant to be a deer rifle and i am not a very experienced deer hunter that is about as far out as i would dare a shot.

but i am going to do some practicing at longer ranges someday. whenever i get the chance.

@pagj17-naw it's not that expensive. 15-20 bucks at most sporting goods stores. which is about the going price for centerfire rifle ammo thats about this size in my area.

they do have the fancy core-lokt (somethin or other) stuff that is a little more pricey but i just stick with the regular old green and yellow box basic kind. for this caliber at the distance i shoot it's all i need really.

6. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I would still recommend a 200 yard zero for deer hunting with a 30-06. Just shoot it at 100 yards and and your POI should be 2" high. That puts you in the kill zone of a deer from 0-300 yards. Then you are good to go.

7. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

pretty sound logic i suppose. i cant really argue with that. next time i get to the range i'll get her zeroed for 200 yards. because you never know i guess...

8. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

The fundamentals of marksmanship don't change from 10 yards to 500. What changes is the abilities of the round. If you are firing a round that is zeroed from 0-300 like these guys all suggest, and you get a 200 yard shot, execute your fundamentals and take the shot. At 200 yards it's all muscle memory and confidence with a 30-06. You seem like you are a great shot at 100 yards, I think you'd find similar results at 200 with a good zero.

9. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

10. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

the Rem 700 is the SPS model with a 3-9x 40mm Nikon Prostaff scope:

[​IMG]

11. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

I have basically the same gun in .308. Got it free at a military appreciation hunt during a marksmanship contest. Beautiful gun. It'll take good care of you.

12. wpage

wpage New Member

Those groups are decent.

13. Khromo

Khromo New Member

I think those are pretty good groups for that ammo!

I have a 700 BDL sporter, and when I tried that ammo I got groups measuring twice the size of yours. All over the place. I am recoil shy, and the shooting and the results were not good!

Handloading slower loads cleaned the problem up completely. I've given up on factory ammo.