Latest German Roe Deer Harvest

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Jagermeister, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I harvested another Roe deer (Rehwild). This makes 8 Roe deer (3 bucks and 5 doe) and 1 boar at this one hunting revier alone this year. Plenty of game. :D I Hope for a another fruitful and freezer filling year.:)

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      31.7 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      30.8 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      31 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      29.7 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      30 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      30.3 KB
      Views:
  2. JW357

JW357 New Member

Nice. Congratulations.

Whose that ugly fella in the last picture?? Haha just kidding.

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I wouldn't know how to hunt in woods that open. In this area unless the trees are large enough to block out the sun brush will grow over your head in one growing season. The brush in this picture is a typical cut over in this area. Deer love that cut over during the growing season. They are protected from predators and the sun. There are enough baby maple trees in that cut over to easily feed 10 deer. I have seen 15 deer in a day in the same spot I took the photo. The deer are standing under a persimmon tree. There are a couple cherry trees nearby.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Waidmanns Heil!

Whatever that means!

5. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Waidmanns Dank! (Hunters thank you.)

6. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Congrats sir. You are like me. Just keep hunting as long as the season is open. I just never want to stop. To much fun.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Hunting season ended on 1/1/14 here. I only shot one deer this year. We had no mast this year. The deer are very slim. When the deer have no mast to feed on they are only good for ground meat. 60 lb of ground meat is enough for my family.

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

Just curious. Will 60lbs last a year?

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

for some maybe. for me its about 2-3 months worth.. i love my protein!

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

No it won't last a year. I didn't know you could keep meat indefinitely in the freezer. Ground meat keeps in the freezer for around six months. If you like freezer burned meat god bless you.

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

So if you want to keep meat indefinitely just don't turn it into ground meat until ready (ish) to eat?

Sorry for my questions. I'm not yet a Hunter but want to try it out.

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You can only freeze meat once. Large pieces of meat do keep longer in the freezer. We try to eat the deer down so we can have a big BBQ during the summer and that is it. By then deer that were killed early in the season has been in the freezer for 9 or 10 months. I thought holidays were an excuse to clean out the freezer :shrug:

13. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

We use a food saver to process our deer. I've had roast that was 2 years frozen and it was delicoius , nice and tender like it was the day of the kill. Its all in how you clean, store, care and cook your meat.

Sent from my M470BSA using Firearms Talk mobile app

14. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Same here. We also don't limit to just deer from hunting. We processed 2 that were taken in the field this year, and have also claimed and processed 3 fresh hit deer in the last month. All of them were good sized, and we have run out of room in the freezer. We have already given about a third of the meat to people who need it more than we do.

Yep, you read it right. We do pick up fresh road kill, but only if we see it hit or the person who hit it is right there waiting on LE to arrive.

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I searched to see how long you can freeze venison. The answers I found were two years but none of the answers were scientific, just someones opinion. Once I start seeing frost in the bags (about 10 months) I call up my friends for a BBQ. Sausage and ground meat both get frost burned quickly. I have my deer ground by a butcher. The beef/pork fat would cost as much as just having it ground and packaged. The meat is packaged in a food sealer when the butcher packages the meat.

16. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

If vacuum sealed or if wrapped in heavy butcher's paper, two years is easily attainable. If packed in ziplock bags, 6 months tops.

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I think it also depends on the freezer. A self defrosting freezer will freezer burn the frozen food. The constant defrosting cycle is what ruins the meat. If you have a freezer that is NOT self defrosting, the meat will last much longer. Also, vacuum sealing the meat is a good idea. Makes a big difference.

18. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Vacuum sealing does make a big difference.:D

19. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Jager, The first time I saw a Roe, I was looking for the spots and the mommy then someone pointed out it was the mommy! Shortly after, I saw my first Wild Boar and realized "forget the little deer, watch for the big mean pigs"! Nasty critters, one with a couple piglets rammed my jeep during Reforger, (on my preppy Lt's side of the jeep, she jumped on my lap, :D)

20. JW357

JW357 New Member

"Uhh LT, ma'am, I think I, er WE, may have a situation here..."