Late season fleas....

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by NC1760, Nov 17, 2013.

1. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Hello everybody. This is one for the pet owners among us... As most of you know, I have two cats and two hound dogs. Because of the unusally wet late Summer/early Fall we've had in North Carolina, we've had a resurgence of fleas. It appears as if the bi-annual usual lawn treatment of flea/tick/spider/grub killer and quarterly Frontline on the pets is not working to completely irradicate them. We've been vacumming twice weekly, regular pet baths every two weeks and hot laundry washes every load...... While not what anyone could consider an infestation state, I just want the little $h*ts gone before Winter sets in (..the fleas, not my dogs or cats).

Does anyone have any suggestions or products they recommend? :confused:

2. vincent

vincent New Member

I've only had one time where fleas were a problem and this cleared it right up...

http://fleamaxx.com/index.php/fleamaxx2000/

It says allow 4-8 weeks for full effect but for me (and my pup) it worked with one application.

Made locally too...:cool:

3. Drriley

Drriley New Member

see your vet.. We had a major problem here this spring and nothing worked
    until I got a flea kill medicine from the vet. A monthly pill, it starts killing fleas
    in 30 minutes or less... You can actually see the fleas fall off the dog.

can't recall the medications name, but the vet will know.........

4. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

It's pricey but I have had very good luck with Comfortis for dogs. The cat gets feline frontline. Sounds like you are doing about everything else. We are having the same problem here.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Probably Comfortis. I put flea meds on my dogs monthly from about April until the first freeze. I use Vectra.

6. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Thanks everybody. I'll contact the vet about Comfortis... and we'll see what happens with that.

7. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Here in Western Washington, we also have quite a return or resurgence of the little buggers.

Even the expensive Advantix II was near worthless.

I used some topical spray for now until I can get to our local country vet.

We have four dogs, two cats, a rabbit, and of course the chickens, geese, ducks, goats and cows.
    I buy diatomaceous earth in an 80lb bag.

I probably should use it inside also.

8. string1946

string1946 New Member

Because the weather here can be so mild in winter we treat our dogs year around for fleas and tick and also for heartworm. For fleas and ticks we use Vectra 3D cause thats what our Vet. recomends.

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

One thing about Frontline, is that if you bath your pets with a actual soap based shampoo, is that you can wash some of it off, and make it less effective. there are non-soap shampoos that you can use if you are using topical flea killer.

we switched to oral medication for our dogs and have not had problems.

10. winds-of-change

That's what I get from my vets, too. It works really well. Haven't seen a flea all season.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

The fleas are so bad in my area that people are finding dead mice and rats everywhere. My neighbor found one big rat on his porch the other day.

All those tested so far are negative on plague. One report we heard from the university was "acute anemic symptoms". Basically, bled dry.

Local pastor is supposed to be checking into the cost of hiring a crop duster.

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have dogs in the house. I have an exterminator come out every month to spray for roaches. For fleas I just put a flea collar in my vacuum cleaner bag. When you run the vacuum cleaner the vibration makes any flea eggs in your carpet hatch. The fleas get vacuumed up and the flea collar kills them. I just use the cheapo flea collars. That is what my exterminator recommended and I haven't had a flea problem since.

Even if you treat your dogs with frontline or top spot fleas are still going to get on your dog and jump off in the house. If you have pets fleas are going to find their way in the house.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Myrtle bushes are a natural flea treatment. I bought a house that was infested with fleas. I cut a bunch of myrtle bushes. Then I covered the floors with the myrtle limbs. Two weeks later I came back to no fleas in the house. I am talking about wild myrtle bushes, not crepe myrtles or any ornamental plant.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

Covering my floor with myrtle branches is not really an option.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

Moth balls in the vacuum cleaner also kill the new fleas that you vacuum up.

16. winds-of-change

But the Vectra kills the fleas, eggs and larvae. So it not only kills the fleas but keeps any new generation of fleas from becoming adults.

17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I agree 100% that flea medications kill any flea that stays on your dog for a while. The flea medicine will get in your dog's bedding and protect it there. But the fleas your dog picks up in the yard that don't stay on the dog very long will get in your home. If you have squirrels in your yard you also have fleas in the yard. All you can do is vacuum the hitchhiker's up.

18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Living above the "Snow Line" here in the Rocky Mtns. there are no ticks or fleas. In the winter there are lots of Snow Bunnies.

Attached Files:

19. orangello

orangello New Member

I hear the crabs are harder to kill.
    ;)