last shot

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by TacticalPrecision, Jul 13, 2013.

1. TacticalPrecision

TacticalPrecision New Member

my last shot hold open isn't working for some reason. It will hold open if I do it manually so I know the mechanism is functioning, I just don't know why it's not doing it when I'm firing it until empty. It's ejecting fully so far as I can tell, brass deflector has a thin line and I haven't had any ejection issues I thought maybe it was a lubrication issue but it's still doing it after I took it apart, cleaned it, and lubricated it really well.

Any ideas?

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Tactical,

Lets Diagnose the problem:
    I know you stated you lubricated the parts well but I will include it in the below information also!

I presume you are speaking of an AR-15? First of all good lubrication is a must! With a good lubricant notice I did not say grease! Breakfree, G-96 or other good quality lube! The Bolt Carrier and Bolt should look a little wet at all times! Secondly, try some other full power ammunition! If that is not it try a New Magazine (of quality since there is a lot of junk on the market!) Has this just started happening? Is it happening with one certain magazine or all magazines? When it happens to start *Mark the Magazine/s and see if it happens again with this same magazine/s. If it does you may have diagnosed your problem! "The Magazine/s". if the New one works! The magazine is the number one cause of this problem followed by improper lubrication, followed by ammunition. If the rifle has always done this we can fix that also but try proper lubrication, ammunition and then a new Mag first and we will go to the other possible fix later if that is the needed! One other thing have you changed the stock on it to a different full stock?
    Since the rifle is ejecting and loading correctly it should not be a short stroke problem other than the possibility of under powered ammunition.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

number one cause of fail to lockback on last shot are those BAD levers like this [​IMG]

there is a reason they are called BAD levers...

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

So far mine's been perfectly GOOD. But if that's causing even occasional lockback failures...that's a severe problem since it specifically defies the purpose of this little accessory.

Guess I'll have to wait and see.

5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have only seen 1 that works 100% and its a Phase5 tactical, its all one piece . Nothing to bolt on or get in the way and cause issues.
    I just use the standard bolt release ,Im not into all that stuff on my rifles

Attached Files:

6. TacticalPrecision

TacticalPrecision New Member

I do have a B.A.D. lever, it doesn't seem like it would cause any problems though unless there is some resistance issue with them since when the bolt locks back the paddle is out. It doesn't seem heavy enough to cause interference with the follower in the magazine but I will try taking it off and checking, it has been on there since day one and my first time out shooting it was way too excited to pay much attention to things like that since most of my time was spent doing mag dumps and just enjoying the hell out of the fresh build. As for the other possibilities, all the magazines are either brand new or fairly new pmags either gen2 or gen3 windowed, my cousin can fire them from his with my ammo and has no issues. I use CLP break free lube and made sure to thoroughly disassemble and lube it with fresh lube after I did my initial assembly and fired about 10 mags out of it.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Its the bad lever.

The weight slows the lock time of the bolt hold open. You can order a bunch of bolt catch springs and keep trying one till you get one with enough strength to operate the catch fast enough with the lever installed (pot luck). Or take it off and ebay it.

I learned aboit bad levers straight from the techs at bcm when i sent my carbine in for this problem. Got a call from them and had a 20 minute talk about how the mag catch functions and what the bad lever does and why it should never be placed on a ar15.

Some will function fine with one some wont its just whether yoir bolt catch spring is strong enough or not