Lasers

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Gojubrian, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

What do the good members of this forum think about lasers on pistols?

Personally, I like them and I would want them on my home defense pistol for sure.

My uncle is pretty old fashioned about it. He doesn't want anything battery operated on his pistols.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I have used them, and I don't like them. Lasers aren't really good in bright light. And in low light, or darkness, lasers point two ways.

That gives away your advantage.

And someone will stop by and say, "but it's only on when I want it to be on, when I press the button".

Well, great. And if you miss? Or if you don't finish the target with your first volley?

Maybe it's a mute point, or maybe it's just me.

They are a lot of money. Money that could be spent elsewhere. Just my $0.02. YMMV.

JD

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I can't shoot for spit with a laser. That little red dot jumps around and ends up giving me a headache. I did put one on my wife's gun as she likes it and I like it quiet in the house...

4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Lasers and pointers, rifles mainly, helpful especially if I am sniping zombies at night. Use lasers for point on target practice for dry fire target exercises, not dependent on them with my carry weapons or live shooting. Wife has a crimson Trace laser grip on her Smith 638 for boogerbears. She likes it. :)

Jack

5. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

I really don't see a need for it personally. Lasers are neat, but i find it not practical for the average person. I personally don't think you need one on a self defense pistol. Reason being, more than likely your firefight will be exchanged at close range. You will probably not be concerned about putting a red dot on someone at the heat of the moment but rather shoot instinctively, which should be acquired by practice. I think it is dangerous in some cases since some people undoubetly will not practice with their gun placing to much faith on the laser. Personally I find it distracting to look at. Gives you almost a forced tunnel vision. When this should not be the case in a real situation.

6. layton

layton New Member

I use the laser most just for practicing point shoot exercises, to me that give an quick aim point when point shooting, and with practice, you get in the habit of it going automatically to where you are looking.

Dont know if I explained it right or not, but to me it is a good training tool when doing dry fire exercises.

Layton

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I bought my wife a revolver with a laser thinking it would help her find the target faster and be good for home defense when I'm out of town. WRONG! She was faster and shot better without the laser and I did too. You spend too much time trying to find the dot rather then just knowing where your weapon is pointed. I personally see no benefit to a laser on a pistol and prefer practice and muscle memory. I will practice point shooting rather then looking for a little red dot.

8. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Took the words right out of my mouth. There is no practical use for a laser.

A light would be a better investment.

9. Uncle Tom

Uncle Tom New Member

Really?

I'm surprised at the dislike of lasers given the rate at which they are being sold. Many people must value having at least the option of activating a laser when either their uncorrected vision or the tactical situation doesn't permit full use of traditional sights.

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Just because a product is sold doesn't mean it's necessary or good. Heck, pistol bayonets are sold as well. Some folks like lasers, many don't - as with everything else it's a personal choice...

11. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

OK I have to elaborate a little more on this. I think I mispoke myself. I don't want people to think that lasers are utterly useless and bash it. I actually have a crimson on my snub. I actually use it quite a bit but not in a real defensive shooting situation. I was trying to convey this in the earlier post above, but failed to do so correctly. As I stated before lasers are too distracting for me. With that said, the laser has been a real valuable tool. I use the laser for point shooting practice and muscle memory. I point the gun at waist level and see if I am pointing at my target with the laser. Also I use it for trigger practice. I turn on the laser and see how much my dot jumps or which direction it moves and adjust my pull accordingly.

12. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Those are some good training exercises where a laser is quite useful.

Too distracting for me. I tried my friends 642 w/ a crimson, and I found I was concentrating too much on where that little dot was jumping around to.

13. Trocar

Trocar New Member

Agreed. Once you're familiar with your pistol, you don't really need alot of accessories like a laser. I rely on my trigger pull, and my reset after i fire. Enough practice, and you don't need a laser to tell you where the round is going. My carry weapon is a glock29, and with enough practice, even a 10mm can nail close double taps.

14. WDB

WDB New Member

I am in the minority on this but a laser is a great tool for point and shoot. I have a personal issue with my rounds hitting where expected so point and shoot isn't an option with out a laser sight. I have shot for years and have some decent training, still will bring at least my front sight on target before I pull the trigger. Having that green or red dot on target lets me shoot with out the need to bring the pistol to eye level. I know there are many that can point and shoot with out ever seeing a sight, I will never be one simply because I'm not willing to accept an erant shot.

15. 1861

1861 New Member

Just call me old fashioned . I see no use for them .

16. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Why?

10 characters

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

:confused:

I have no idea either. What rifle would you put a laser on? Maybe an M4, if you were going to be assaulting a dry ice warehouse or something...:cool:

18. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I assault dry ice warehouses quite often with my laser equipped M4; however, I generally use a half-dozen flash-bangs first to soften up the area...:rolleyes:

19. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You have an M4?!?!? *drooling* You're so awesome!! ;)

20. NGIB

NGIB New Member

JD you know any civilian can have an M4, I keep it in the safe next to the 240 Bravo and the Ma-Duece...:rolleyes: