lasers on ccw?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by bigbomar4, Dec 11, 2011.

1. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

Now I have heard that if you use reloads when you carry and have to use your pistol this can be a bad thing in court. Does this also apply for laser sights? I see both a hot reload and a laser just as being more prepared. Do any of yall have any actual experience with this?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Despite stories to the contrary, if a shooting is justified, it is justified. There HAVE been cases where a zealot of a prosecutor (Tucson AZ) used choice of ammo/ sidearm to sway a jury- but with THAT prosecutor, would not have mattered if you had used a pellet gun.

Crimson Trace has made a BUNCH of laser sights, am not aware of any cases where use of a laser was used in this way.

If it helps you get on target, get one. As far as the "I heard about....." ask for the court case- name, location, date.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

C3 is right, these stories pop up all the time. most are generated as just rumours because there are no supporting facts to back up the story. there are probaly some prosecutors who would love to convict someone for shooting a BG in SD, but they would as C3 said would no matter the weapon used, because they are trying to futher their own political agenda, not justice. some people will say don't use handloads for SD, because they could be judged as more deadly. really? if someone is dead, how can they be more dead? that argument has been floating around for some time. one of my pistols does carry handloads in it, and am i worried about an overzealous prosecuter? nope, not in the least. he is my least worry, because, if confronted with a situation where i would have to defend myself or my loved ones, my ammo choice is based on what works to eliminate a threat. these are just my opinions and viewpoints and others may differ.

4. vincent

vincent New Member

I don't know anything about the legal issues, but I don't use one in my ccw. Great training tool but I just figured, if I'm in a SD situation, It'll be enough of a challenge staying composed enough to get on target, nevermind searching for a little red/green dot.

5. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

I kinda figured that was the case and was gonna get one either way. Well as soon as I get some money. Christmas is expensive.

6. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Its just one more thing your brain will have to process in a self defense encounter.

Self defense shooting will likely be at a distance where your sights aren't necessary, therefore point shooting is the best practice.

Training and practice is more important than a red dot.

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

A dot helps if you put in alot of practice as i do/did but then again im a point and shoot type in those situations. Most of my guns that have CT's on them are formy fiancees benefit. My colt gcs's dont have them but if you cant point and shoot one of them and hit a chest sized target in 15' or less then you dont need a gun for SD but a club

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

8. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

When your life on the line your not about to look for a little red dot!.

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yep. I dont use mine hardly at all except for fun. My fiancee is a different story though

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The best use for the laser is training. You can build your muscle memory by dry fire drills using the laser to tell you if you are on target. It is also great for teaching trigger control. You will know immediately if your trigger pull is sloppy. Never be battery dependent. I do have a laser on a S&W MP15-22 set at 8 yards. It is fun to shoot from a low position. You can easily dump the whole mag into a 3" circle. It is my wife's rifle. It also has a 1.5-6X scope set at 25 yards.

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I have one on my DD and two on my 10/22 that i have built up to a tactical hunter. The DD is built into my new surefire x400 combat light. Its sighted in for about 20 yards. The two on my 10/22 are actually one but has two different laser ports one green and one red. The green one is set for about 75 yards and the red for about 50ish

12. woody63m

woody63m New Member

I think it's like anything else if you make it muscle memory then it will work I have a crimson trace on my XD 45 tactical I do t conceal carry it because it's ginormus but it make shooting for me personally easy I carry a XD 40 with no CT on it cause I do t have one tax seasons right around the corner I'm getting that and night sights for it.

13. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

I have a crimson trace on my Glock 23. Use it for clearing houses or buildings. No BG wants to see a laser popping the corner in the dark ! The laser goes a further distance than the flashlight so I believe it's effective for awareness. Other than that, I would not rely on it as an aim point.

14. woody63m

woody63m New Member

It would help in court I would think. Be like your honor I told him to stop I pulled my gun told him again pointed it at him told him again engaged my laser told him again shot his ass

Granted time permitted lol

15. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

You use a laser to clear a house!?!? And your slicing corners with the laser advanced in view of the perps? YIKES!!!! Please tell me this is a joke.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

16. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Lasers are for girls.

17. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Yeah, like my wife-
    S&W 442 with CT grips -
    You DO NOT want to see that little red dot :rolleyes:

18. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

Personally, I don't care for lights, lasers, bayonets, whistles,
    fly swatters, etc. on my carry weapon. Just another element
    that might interfere in an emergency.

19. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Lasers are okay if you are not experienced with shooting.

But I have to ask, if you contribute to this forum, then why are you not experienced with shooting?

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Good point but some people-my fiancee for one- are more comfortable with lasers and shoot alot