Laser site

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by jedmorgan, Feb 13, 2014.

1. jedmorgan

jedmorgan New Member

I recently put a laser site on my Glock 17. What is a good distance to site it in at for personal defense? I know most personal defense situations happen in close settings.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

21’ if you can see it

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

3. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

I also carry a G17. I personally think relying on a laser causes more harm than good. Especially in a nervous situations. I'd recommend 25 feet though.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Try 25 or 30 feet. Figuring that the laser is probably below your bore. Measure the distance from the laser to the center of the bore at the muzzle. Your bullet shouldn't hit any higher than that at any distance between the muzzle and the distance you sighted the laser in at. Once you get further than that, the bullet point of impact will begin to be lower than where the laser is pointing, since the laser is pointing up in a straight line.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Not a fan of lasers. They make you slow. You take time to look for the dot instead of just putting rounds in the goblin...

Anyway 20-30 feet is optimal as others have said.

I try and find loads that hit poa at 15yards for my ccw guns. I don't like rounds hitting below poa from 1-15 yards.

6. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

I'd say between 12-15 yards. I am a fan of laser. Calateral damage in the form of innocent bystanders is never a problem I wish to be in. I know lasers don't solve bad shooting habits but good fundamentals plus lasers help improve shooting ability.

Sig 1911 at approximately 10-15 yards

Sent from my SM-N900P using Firearms Talk mobile app

Attached Files:

7. Mouser

Mouser Member

I like lasers...fun to shoot, and good in the dark. My weapon does have good old fashioned iron sights too which is important for bright daylight.

Attached Files:

• 45.jpg
      45.jpg
      File size:
      32.5 KB
      Views:
  8. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I sight in all those I have installed to have the bullet strike and lazier dot just over the front sight at 10 yards/30 feet.
    BUT do not count on the laser!!!! Train with and with out it.
    Murphy is alive and well and he lives in your spare room. ;)

9. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

I have a rsl on my xds its sighted at 15 yards

More people armed, less crime...
    Less people armed, more crime...
    you can't have both!! ( Ted Nugent)