Laser Question

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by t-rav, Apr 7, 2011.

1. t-rav

t-rav New Member

I recently joined a tactical shooting league, I want to add a laser to my xd 40. I have been researching and looking at different models and styles. Question is should i spend the extra money and get a grisom trace or use a tactical rail mount laser? I am looking for personal opinions for either option.

Thanks
    Travis

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I had one of the very early edition, grip replacement Crimson Trace models. After about 6 months, the dot started to get a lot of "splash" to it. It wasn't clean and crisp, it looked like a big red paint ball splat.

I called Crimson Trace and they had me send it in. They replaced the laser portion, sent it back and it ran fine for as long as I used.

Personally I don't care for them as lasers point TWO ways and have no business on a personal defense weapon that I would own.

Competition I could see how they would be handy though.

I will say this, if you can get a green laser it will be visible in more light conditions because it operates at a different spectrum than the red and it will also be visible much further away because of the strength.

Just food for thought.

JD

3. t-rav

t-rav New Member

Yea only thing that is keeping me from the crimson trace, is that its red i don't like the red.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Depends on whether you have a holster that will fit a rail mounted laser, assuming you have to holster at some point. If you don't and can't find one, then CT's will be the only viable option...

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I worked on a friend's Smith revolver w/crimson trace grip. The problem I noticed is if your trigger finger is properly indexed (outsidethe trigger guard), your finger will block the laser. It will force you into an unsafe condition of having your finger on the trigger in order to see the laser on the target.

Just my $.02

6. t-rav

t-rav New Member

I found one I am looking into getting, its viridian laser.

I am looking at the SXD, comes with green laser and custom fitted to the xd frame and comes with a free holster. I am really considering ordering one tomorrow. Seams too good to pass up for the moment.

7. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I had that same set-up recommended to me last year on this forum. If I ever get coin enough to buy one I will. Still thinking that guns are more important than the accessories, my wish list keeps growing.

8. t-rav

t-rav New Member

I placed my order today for my SXD laser. I will post back with my feedback when i get it next week.

9. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

I tried one and the switch was intermittent and does come on like the Crimson Trace. I got the Crimson Trace on my J Frame and love it. I think it a great asset to self defense for use at night and you can aim the gun in less then ideal conditions without sticking your head out looking for the iron sights. You can also get a laser built in to the light for rail mounting,

10. t-rav

t-rav New Member

Got my viridian laser in today. Looks sweet, haven't gotten a change to shoot it yet though, I will post back my results after I shoot it.

11. t-rav

t-rav New Member

Range report from my laser.

I don't have anything negative thoughts on the laser, it was great and works very well. I like the strobing effects that the laser has options in. It is extremely accurate and extremely visible in any light. I like it so much I am already planning on buying another one for one of my other guns.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  12. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle New Member

Glad you found something you like!
    I have the lasermax guide rod replacement on my XD45C that is my EDC and I really like it. For a carry gun I think it's great.