Laser on a Concealed Carry Weapon?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by GLOCK23LOVER4LIFE, Mar 31, 2014.

1. GLOCK23LOVER4LIFE

GLOCK23LOVER4LIFE New Member

I've been thinking about adding a laser on my Everyday Carry gun. Since most or a lot of self defense situations take place at night, a laser may be an added advantage. Looking to get opinions from fellow CCW Holders.

2. Mauserdoc

Mauserdoc New Member

My 1911 with 230 grain brass jacketed hollow point 45's, 14+1 capacity is heavy enough, and if he is close enough to bother me in the dark, no way am I going to miss!

3. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

A buddy if mine who is a lot older than me has bad eyes and has a laser and swears by it , I have thought about crimson trace grips but have not been able to justify the price yet but I am all for them.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

Spend the money on ammo or better yet take a decent shooting course geard towards self defense.

Lasers aren't like optics. You waste a lot of time looking for the dot on the goblin. You should be perforating him not looking for the bouncing tiny dot. If your wearing nightvision you can see the beam and such applicatins they work excellent but I don't see too many folks going about life wearing nvg's...

My lcp came with a crimson trace and the shop was running a promo deal on em so the combo was the same price as the non laser version. After hands on with it the laser is on the junk item shelf in the safe atm.

I took the barrel out of the lcp and had the wife move around the house trying to acquire her with the laser did it outside too. We both took turns and its almost impossible to find the dot on a live moving human target. Took too damn long when it was much faster to just aim and shoot.

Lasers are useless gimmicks that make you slow. Don't waste your money. If you want something that does work get nightsights or fiber optic sights or a trijicon rmr.

5. Okie_6Shooter

Okie_6Shooter New Member

I have a light on my bed side gun P229 but I want to keep it light and concealable for a carry gun. Invest in some good night sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

6. trigger643

trigger643 New Member

My daily carry and nightstand gun is a 340pd with CT grips. I don't rely on or notice the red dot in daylight. However in low light conditions it comes in handy.

7. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

The only handgun laser I would recommend is the Crimson Trace Laser grip that is actuated upon gripping the weapon. A laser sight that must be consciously switched on prior to engaging the target is a waste of time & money, IMO.

Yes I have both types and only use the CT grip.

8. G30USMC

G30USMC Active Member Supporter

Don't have one on my off duty weapon, have one on my duty G21...... Personally I would prefer no laser

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I think in a self defense situation, you won't have time to use the laser and the thug will probably be close enough you won't need to use one.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

What winds said.

Civies dont do what police do. Police will often hold suspects at gunpoint more often than shooting them.

Civilians if they have a gun out its gone so far off the edge the only thing to be doing at that point is launching bullets. You havent got time for dot gazing.

11. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I have the crimson trace 1911 grip laser. It's there and it works.
    It is my EDC, with night sights (tritium) and laser. I shoot more moles and racoons than anything. Laser works fine for racoons under stump piles.

12. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I have a CT lasers on three of my CC guns. I have also attended three Low Light laser SD courses. The classes reduced my time from draw to target hit times on stationary, moving targets, moving targets and moving shooter.

13. therukh

therukh New Member

LaserMax

I'll have to say that I love lasers. Some of the comments one currently hears about lasers are exactly the same as one heard when night sights first appeared on the market. I even had some of the old gun rags from the era where the then-current gun writers railed about them being gimmicks, a fad, never last, etc., etc. Well, now they are well accepted and a common accessory. One of my students bought a Crimson Trace and I got to tinker with it a bit and my life-long friend, Kenny Hackathorn, is a spokesman for CT. They stand by them. I didn't like the activation for the CT so I tried LaserMax and really loved it. At first, like the rest at the time, I was a bit skeptical, until one match night, Jim, a friend and colleague of mine (who happened to own a gun shop) brought a LaserMax internal guide rod laser in his personal Glock. I had already shot the match and had the fastest time of the night, when Jim coaxed and coaxed me into reshooting the match with his gun to try the laser. Well, I did the reshoot (it was only $5) and I did it in half the time with the laser. Wow! I was impressed! So I bought one and I've used it since. I don't watch the bouncing dot nor do I turn it on at the buzzer and use it straight through till the end. I only use it when I need to and that's something that becomes apparent with practice. I don't use it in the daylight but any low-light situation makes it "shine," like going into a shoot-house from the bright outdoors or in the shadows on an overcast day, or, of course, at night. No fumbling to turn it on with the Glock, it is just pushing the slide stop to the side and is as natural as thumbing off the safety on a 1911. It is easy to learn and easy to use. I still use my Novak Night Sights and my Insight Tactical Illuminator and my LaserMax as just another tool of the night. I would wholeheartedly recommend it.

14. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

I completely disagree with lasers. Do NOT get used to something that requires batteries to function. Murphy's Law states that the ONE time you need it is the ONLY time it won't function properly. Train with night sights.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

Shooting on a range is not the same as shooting at a live moving goblin trying to kill you. Goblins arent sheets of paper hanging on a cardboard backer.

I strongly recommend putting a training barrel in your gun or making it safe by removing the barrel or inserting a chamber block getting a friend and trying it on live moving person who is only 7 yards away or closer. 7 yards or less is the max range of 90% self defense actions take place. Try different kinds of clothing under different lighting.

Its eye opening. Its why i took up cowboy action shooting. I want to develop that draw and shoot without using sights muscle memmory.

If you want a laser go for it. Train without it you dont have time when it drops in the pot. All im trying to get across is real sd actions cannot be replicated by shooting at paper. You need proper safe training aids and partner to train with

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  16. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

My LCP was obtained in a trade and it came with a Crimson Trace laser. I have been pretty anti-laser for the sake of bulk, weight, and just complicating the platform a bit. I am leaving it on and seeing how I really like it. The CT is pretty unobtrusive, and the sights on the LCP are very minimal (not that a gun with it's intended purpose really needs excellent sights.) I'm trying to give the laser a fair shake, but expect that it will be coming off eventually.

17. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

There is nothing wrong with having a laser on your gun just like having night sights,if you train with them they can be a life saving tool but if you just throw them on and expect results you are fooling yourself.
    But to outright dismiss them is not an educated decision unless you have used and know for a fact they do not work for you, I choose not to have night sights on my guns because I do not like them because I do a lot of point and shoot training and do not really need the night sight but that's just my opinion I would not dismiss them as a useful tool though.

18. JW357

JW357 New Member

This is basically my mindset.

I also worry about becoming dependant upon them and therefore hurting my marksmanship fundamentals.

But lasers are like everything else in the gun world. Your gun, your choice. While I don't necessarily agree with lasers, I don't begrudge those who like them.

19. therukh

therukh New Member

Multifaceted Training

Well, of course I agree! Real sd actions can't be replicated by shooting at paper hanging on a cardboard backer. Sd training must be multifaceted and include, among other things, unloaded practice on the range and at home. Drawing, reloading, shooting around corners and from awkward positions are all things that need practiced, both live fire and unloaded, and with the laser if you have one. I also recommend training barrels and the type of "laser tag" of which you speak, as well as, training courses and classes conducted by competent instructors. I also like cowboy shooting as good practice, but training must include shooting day matches and night matches (also night multi-gun & cowboy matches if you can afford them). After all, matches are just training exercises other people devise and you pay your fee and try out your techniques. If your club is only shooting static paper targets on cardboard backers. I would suggest shooting at different clubs so you get a cross section of types of matches. I like shooting at clubs whose targets include moving, waving, flipping, flopping, turning. dropping & disappearing targets, both paper and steel. Shooting at night is as different as bullseye is from IPSC/IDPA. Night matches have their own dynamics and quickly teaches what works and, more importantly, what doesn't. As I said in an earlier post, the laser doesn't get turned on when the buzzer sounds and off when the shooters is asked to, "Unload and show clear." Learn to shoot without them and use them as you would any other tool. They are not a universal tool, but specialized and you'll learn that quickly when you train with them and use them in night matches. What impressed me so much when I shot one for the first time was the ease with which I picked up someone else's gun and shot it using the laser in half the time of my already smoking run. Too, I've seen the shooters who lean on the laser as the only way to shoot a night match and it is a bit pathetic. Imagine...the buzzer goes off and you see and hear someone fumbling in the dark trying to draw the gun, then the light comes on, then finally the laser. By now any goblin in the vicinity would have perforated the shooter/defender many times over. That is what we try to train out of shooters and in most cases it works. I agree that lasers are not for everyone, but they are a wonderful tool that can help if used correctly.

20. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My wife has a laser on her J Frame. Complete waste of money. If someone attacks you in bright light you can't see the dot. Hers is not the Crimson Trace. You have to push a button on the back of the laser to turn it on. She wanted it to play with. But she finds it totally worthless.