Laser for a p-38

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by smed76, Sep 25, 2013.

1. smed76

smed76 New Member

Anyone ever seen or know of how to put a laser sight on a ww2 p38? Don't see how it would work myself.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Trying to install questionable practicality 21st century technology on a 1930s handgun design begs the question, WHY?

3. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Although I agree with robocop's sentiment I'll go ahead and play.

They use to make laser sights that would mount on the trigger guard. This was back before everything had a rail on it. Not sure if they still make them and I always thought the mounting looked questionable, but that may be your best option if you're determined to do so.

4. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

I am also curious as to why.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I think the P08 laser fits. :D:D:D

6. seibert1903

seibert1903 New Member

Yup, and it attaches on to the flux capacitor :)

7. smed76

smed76 New Member

For why,at the time being its a home defense gun till I get a more modern piece.then ill either put it up or sell it if I get a good enough offer.so why not!
    What would you do with one.(p-38 bye 44)war bring back.all matching #'s and almost 90/percent bluing??

8. smed76

smed76 New Member

MCFLY! Said nothing of the sorts! The Iranians had an AK!lol.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

and if you are not careful, you'll end up messing the pistol up, and making it worth much less. IMO, i'd leave it alone and use it as is. that pistol didn't need a laser in the 1940's, so i'm sure it can get by now without one.

10. smed76

smed76 New Member

Ok,axxe55.Ill take your advice.like it to much to take a chance.Not sure of its value but hoping its a up there.don't get me wrong I'm not a skinhead or anything but I like the weight and its a historic piece.thanks.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

nothing wrong with the P38. it's a good pistol design. i happen to like the Luger myself. i hold no love for Nazis, but the Luger is a good looking pistol.

i just didn't want you to decrease it's value.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I also like the P08 Luger better but respect the P38 as it did start the DA decocker craze. If it had had the capacity of the P35/Hi Power, no doubt it would have been more popular. Anyway it is a good design but falls short as a SD gun because it might not reliably handle hot JHP.

As for value, try posting at the P38 Forums, they can help you. A mismatched WWII shooter might be worth $500-600. A good example could be worth twice that. Rare models go up from there.

13. Gators

Gators New Member

I paid 450 some years back for a numbers matching 1944 Experimental "E-Series". They have gone up dramatically compared to other C&R Weapons i've followed and collected.

After the war, the P1 was produced. Aluminum frame, and was a hunk of junk compared to the durability of the P38. That being said there are plenty of part kits for the P1 available, cabellas, midway, cheaperthandirt, all have had them from time to time.

For a hundred bucks you get another slide, and all new springs. Few other parts also.. You need to replace those springs if you plan on shooting it. People who don't learn how much a cracked slide is worth.

By your date code I believe that's a mauser produced one. A byf42 is quite rare, 700 of those produced. Mauser production. Should see some other codes, one on side of frame, and one under barrel. The one on the magazine *won't* match the others. This is normal for wartime production.

May see something like WaA over a number 135 for example. That should be same under barrel as the side of the frame. Need three matches excluding magazine for numbers matching. Usually you'll find hand electro-stenciled numbers on barrel from a certain importer. It should match their import required serial number they assigned, and had to stamp onto the weapon.

Look for a Square with an X inside, this is from the russians. Means they reblued it, and replaced anything faulty usually in the Ukraine post 1945. You'll probably find that several times. It's on most Russian made war time weapons.

Being a Russian Capture, doesn't mean it isn't still valuable, just not as much. These are usually the ones you find mass distributed from places like Caballa's midway etc.

Look real hard for that Russian Proof Mark. It may not be a bring back, so original blue would still be there, but you never know, there are a lot of a one of a kind unique items that to certain collectors, means a lot more than to most.

Winchester. Whitebox. 115grain, FMJ. Change the springs and take her to the range. Sounds like an interesting piece based on your date/manufacturing codes. Good luck on a matching holster :)