Larue Handgaurd install

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Bull3t, May 1, 2012.

1. Bull3t

Bull3t New Member

Hello everyone, I just ordered a couple things from Larue & one was a handgaurd. I was wondering if any of you have every installed one before. If so how hard is it? Do I need special tools, or should I just let a gunsmith do it? Thanks for any advice.

2. heartlessmcfly

heartlessmcfly New Member

Is it a free float? Do you have a fsb?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using FirearmsTalk

3. Bull3t

Bull3t New Member

Ya it's free float. I don't have any special tools. A local gunsmith offered $30 to do it, but I don't know if the tools would cost more. So I'm thinking about just paying the gunsmith.

4. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Any related vids in utube so u will an idea what kind of tools? Or at larue's site itself? If i were u, if the required tools cost $30. So that in the future you are able to dissamble the rail for cleaning.

5. Fixer

Fixer New Member

Pay the $30.

6. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XOdeEx_bjo[/ame]

Here's a video on the installation of the Larue Free Float handguard. You can watch it and then decide if you want to go with the smith or give it a go yourself. One thing I liked about it? He didn't try to sell you every single doohickey on the market to do the job with.

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Thanks for that video, Ben!

8. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

My Google-fu is strong.

9. Bull3t

Bull3t New Member

Thanks a lot everyone. I guess I should find out how much the tools cost.

10. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

You should have most everything you need in a typical tool box. About all you may have to get would be the armorers wrench, which can be had for around $20, and the upper vice block, which I'd order both an upper and lower, and you can get the pair for about $40.