Large vs small

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by niteglock, Aug 12, 2012.

1. niteglock

niteglock New Member

What would you rather own? A large frame pistol or small frame? For example: glock21 vs glock30, or USP vs M&P. The usp isn't that much larger but it is a larger frame and slide. Same with FNP. Opinions people.

2. cj84

cj84 New Member

I like them all

3. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Have to choose please. That's why it says large or small. Tnx

4. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I'd have to go small frame just for the concealability issue. I love my Glock 21 but hiding it is a huge issue.

5. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Too vague of a question, for CCW I love the Commander size 1911. For the range only I want a full size man cannon. Recoil excites me. :cool:

6. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

I would "RATHER" own a large frame. They feel a lot more comfortable in my hands, as I have large hands. BUT... With more states favoring concealment over open carry, I'd settle for a small frame and train until it didn't matter anymore.

7. Donn

Donn Active Member

If you can only have one, I'd suggest a little of both. My M&P Compact 9 has the heft, feel and capacity of a larger gun, but is small and light enough to conceal. MHO you understand.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

That's like asking if you prefer a motorcycle or a car; they serve the same basic purpose but are designed for different circumstances of use. Bike is more fun on a sunny day, but car is probably more enjoyable during a downpour.

If you are going to concealed carry the pistol, look for one you can conceal, usually a bit on the small/flat side. If you want a home/car/range toy, go BIG for comfort and less recoil.

9. clem_

clem_ New Member

Whatever fit under my jacket.

10. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

I already own both large handguns and small. The larger guns, in calibers .40 & .45 (& sometimes .357) are worn during those months of the year where I can cover them with a jacket. My smaller guns, .40 & .38+P for those times where I try to be more discrete in carrying them, such as hot weather and certain social events. Whether large or small, it is the ammo which performs well no matter what platform it comes from. I carry newer [expensive] self defense ammo of major manufacture, with at least one re-load so I never feel under-gunned.

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I prefer the larger framed pistols.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, a crappy shot,

and have Herpes besides, but they just work better

for me.

The Beretta 92 is a great example. Also the 1911A1.

Now the DE44-oh, it's just like a custom fit...

12. pmriley

pmriley New Member

This is an interesting question. I hadn't really thought about it much, but I must say that I like larger guns. The smallest gun that I carry is a Sig 229 - double stack, 4" barrel. Always metal, no plastic guns :)

13. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

When making a quick run to the corner store I love to take my wife's Walther Pk380. Nice and light. That said, when I'm out all day I feel MUCH better with my Sp-01 or full-sized steel Witness in .45 ACP. large and steel wins.

Wow. The iPad did something awful to my picture. That wasn't an intentional photo edit!

Attached Files:

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Much better beaver tails on the large frames...

15. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

True. The large-frame pistols can be a bear to carry, but I can hit with my SP-01 at 40yards what I absolutely cannot with my P3AT at a sad and simple 10 yards. I'm not sure I would even draw my Kel-Tec unless the threat was within "halitosis distance"... Lol

16. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Intended purpose?
    For a range gun, large metal frame all day. For carry, smaller and lighter.

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I find the smaller pistols to be

more than a handful, no

pun intended. Accuracy aside,

they blast and flip to a disturbing degree,

even in the smaller calibers.

For my money, I'll take the inconvenience of

trying to properly CC a full frame.

18. Colby

Colby New Member

Why would a concealed carry person need to hit anything 40 yards away? Why would it matter that a smaller gun had a snappy recoil in a concealed carry situation? Concealed carry is for self defense, is it not?
    What scenarios require long distance accuracy and comfort from the recoil of the defense gun?
    Concealed carry allows a person to conceal a weapon for defense in a life threatening situation. Otherwise the laws state that you are to retreat from any perceived threat if possible. If the threat is 120 feet away - it seems that retreat is the reasonable thing. A court of law would probably agree.
    Pulling out a gun and shooting someone equivalent of two houses down the street is just not going to be supported by the law. You will go to jail.

And comfort - how many rounds are going to throw at someone that you need comfort in your firing - and what will the judge think about that.

I guess I just don't see the need for these extremes - when it comes to a legal self defense through concealed carry. Extremes in gun sizes, calibers, magazine sizes, accuracies, comfort, ...
    Legal protection in concealed carry situations is always going to be close-up and short duration. Unless you are planning for zombie invasions.

19. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

Did you read the rest of my post? Let me introduce you to my friend hyperbole... My point was that my pocket pistol isn't accurate enough for me to ever want to shoot it, even at the range. Calm down.
    And I'm not legally required to retreat from any threat. Doesn't mean I wouldn't, especially if my family were present, but no, no required to retreat. I don't live in France. And to think that a judge is going to view you more leniently because you chose to carry some crappy gun with a low-cap mag is laughable. Idk where you live... Don't rightly care... But I carry a firearm to protect and if need be to save. And I will find that far easier to do with a real firearm, not some piece of pocket junk. To deride people for wanting to carry a sensible firearm that is big enough to wield well and that carries enough firepower to know you won't be left wanting sounds mighty close to gun grabber talk... Food for thought...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  20. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I guess the judge will have to consider that range shooting is my

priority, and since small CCs aren't enjoyable at the range, I make

do, and CC a range pistol...