Large Fixed Blade Sheath Knife

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by AverageJoe, Mar 6, 2010.

1. AverageJoe

AverageJoe New Member

Anybody know of a good fixed blade sheath knife? preferably something good for cutting through meat and hide instead of rope and wood. Should be able to cut pretty deep, and should come with a decent sheath no plastic stuff.

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Are you looking for a butchering knife? A skinner? A gut hook and skinner combo? How large? Maybe a ninja sword?

3. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Somebody HAS to have an old Ka-Bar hanging around.

4. AverageJoe

AverageJoe New Member

Something that would be mostly used to slice up animals but would eventually be used to do pretty much everything

5. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Ka-Bar. It's the 1911 of knives. You can slice up an accordian with a Ka-Bar while you're playing it. You can slice matter into anti-matter with a Ka-Bar. You can slice Slice into Diet Slice with a Ka-Bar, then you can shave with it, and THEN you can nail a tractor-trailer full of titanium lawn trolls to the N3 and N5 amino acids in the chickweed in your lawn and render Roundup obsolete. It's really that versatile.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  6. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Ive got a nice SEALS MK1, hell of a knife and a tight sheath to match

7. m72law

m72law New Member

i just purchased one of these UZI defender knives....its a fixed blade 6.5'' cyroedge treated HC stainless steel..has sawback,lashing holes,& a pry bar tip...also comes with a nice ballistic nylon sheath for 50bucks+shipping

Attached Files:

8. doctherock

doctherock New Member

gork you crack me up

9. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I have the buck general, cant get it anymore after those Scream movies they made, Had it for 20 years and the edge is still there and ready to skin, gut and all that.

10. doctherock

doctherock New Member

This pic shows the two knives i have

Attached Files:

11. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

AverageJoe, a little more information would allow me to try and make a couple of suggestions you might find useful.

-What size knife are you looking for? "Large" means different things to different people. I usually carry a 4" or 5" blade, so a 6" blade would be "large" for me, but not for somebody who routinely packs an 8" blade knife.

-When you say "no plastic", does this apply just to the sheath or to the handle as well? I love natural handle materials and leather sheaths, but there are some very high qualit synthetic sheath and handle materials that will outlast natural materials and work well in harsh environments.

-How much do you want to spend? Just a rough idea so I can limit my suggestions to knives within your budget.

12. AverageJoe

AverageJoe New Member

Something 6" long would be nice i guess. if you know of a really good synthetic one that would be nice i guess but i trust leather and metal more. and pretty much anything under $200 i would look into

13. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Check out Puma or Weidmannsheil...just make sure you get one made in Germany (they have some sourced out now to Spain, China, etc.).

Puma have a wide range of selection but White Hunter probably fits your needs. It looks a bit weird to some though :D but it is great & designed to perform.

Check eBay, for potential good deals.

Good luck!

14. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Ok, now we've got something to work with. Let's see if we can match you with your ideal knife. :D

-Fallkniven A1. It's one of my favourite 6" blades (it's actually 6.3"), it's laminated with a VG-10 core and convex ground. It's strong and well designed. The handle is kraton and the sheath is zytel, which are practical materials but not very handsome. I had a friend replace the kraton handle with wood and made a leather sheath for it as well (several places offer aftermarket leather sheaths). For around $160 it's one of the top performers in this size category.

[​IMG]

-Blackjack Classic has two models that you might like, Model 125 and Model 7. They are more traditional knives with very nice natural handle material options (stag, stacked leather, etc.) as well as several micarta colours, sheaths are made out of leather. The blades are made out of A2 and convex ground. I love this steel, Bark River Knife and Tool makes these for Blackjack and Mike Stewart really knows his A2 heat treat.

Model 125 has a 5" blade and would be my choice for a utility knife that can do a bit of everything. Model 7 has a 7" blade and is a bit more of a fighter, but still quite practical although I don't care for the double guard. The links below show an example of each model with stacked leather handle.

Blackjack Classic Model 7 Leather Handle With Nickel Silver Guard & Pommel, Leather Sheath

Blackjack Classic Blades Model 125 Stacked Leather Handle with aluminium pommel

-Another good option in the 6" blade length would be Bark River's Custom Hunting Bowie, patterned after a Moran knife. Price varies depending on the handle material, but there are a few for around $200. ark River Knives: Custom Hunting Bowie - KnivesShipFree.com

15. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

I bought the rant bowie for the the exact same reason. Not too big, perfect size. great to skin and butcher, but strong enough to hack through some wood with ease.

10501 Details | Benchmade

these are good knives and reasonalbly priced as well.

16. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Puma Bowie w/ stag handles and leather sheath

Oops didn't know links doesn't work here. just search eBay, they can be had for around $80.00 if you are not in a hurry.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  17. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

No Silver Bullet

IMO, knives, like guns, are task specific. Though I own many I find that my simple 3" folding utility knife handle 99% of daily task. The other 1% only happens durring extended buck season when I'm lucky enough to bag my white tail. For that task I've been using the old school 6" buck for 20 years. The blade is thin enought, "edge to back", that you can gut a deer w/out splitting the gut sack and skin him w/out spliting the hide and it's all stainless construction means you can throw it in the dishwasher when your done.:)

18. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I have a drop point Rant with the combination blade in my truck bag. It will do most anything.

19. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Doc, you get max props for posting the first pic I've seen here of my beloved 20MM! There is only one "gun" I have ever claimed to be a master gunsmith on, and it's the Vulcan.