Large caliber options for Ar-15 upper? Looks like .223 round is max

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by fastline, Feb 6, 2011.

1. fastline

fastline New Member

I do not own an AR but recently stole a friends to inspect for a possible big bore whisper rifle build. I want to run about a .500 round in this build. It became obvious after inspection of the AR platform that they were designed for the 5.56 and the .223 only. The action will handle a bit more length but the mags are maxed out with a .223 round.

I am just curious what uppers are out there for bigger rounds and if any or all of them are somehow feeding through the mag or are single shot systems? Would have to have a different mag, etc to feed through the mag I would think.

2. havasu

havasu Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

How about a .50 Cal BMG upper?

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Try a .50 Beowulf, .458 SOCOM, .450 Bushmaster, .300 AAC BLK, .300 Whisper and multiple other calibers. That's just the ones I was looking at before I finally settled on...:eek:STAY TUNED.;)

4. fastline

fastline New Member

I am looking for a round that specifically feeds in a clip in the AR. I know the .50 BMG is a single shot only. I also want to sling over 500gr and ran some numbers and I can really only load up a Beowulf with solid lead to about 550gr. A jacketed would weight much less.

Just really need an upper and clip that can handle more length. Is that possible?

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

6. fastline

fastline New Member

Can you get a 500-700gr slug for the Beo that wil actually fit in the AR clip? Does anyone make another upper design with longer length capacity or is there only really one platform for the AR?

7. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

Why? whats the reason behind wanting a 700 grain bullet comming out of a AR bbl? you want a longer round you need to look at the ar10 the big brother but I think you are asking a little too much, all this lets stick a 105 round in a AR is getting to be ridiculas.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you want to use magazines to feed the larger rounds, don't you have to have the receiver for the round as well? Like with the .308?

9. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

The COL will determine if it fits in the magazine, if you want to use rounds such as something that has a COL of the 308 then you need the AR10.
    What they are are forgetting is magazine capacity, these larger rounds really eat the space in a mag and if they want hi capicity they aren't going to get it within reason.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

510 grains is about as heavy as you want to go in a 458 caliber barrel. personally i think anything over 350 grains in the 458 socom is a waste of lead. there is a practical upper limit. if i really need big bore hitting power 458winmag or 458lott are my gotos

subsonic, your better off with 45acp.

11. fastline

fastline New Member

Yeah, Jon, I just got a chance to get my hands on the AR-15 to see the limitations for myself. I was surprised but hey, it was designed for the 5.56 and that is what fits, huh.....lol Now I guess I need to look at the AR-10 and see if I can make it work... I don't mind re-machining a few things and obviously a new barrel. There is just no way the AR-15 platform will be enough for what I want to do. I realize many people do not understand slugging heavy ammo but when you only have limited velocity (subsonic), I want too see some of that energy back and that takes a serious slug.