LAPD Officer Criticized For Killing Knife Wielding Attacker

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by alsaqr, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Mcsorleyprobert

Mcsorleyprobert Active Member

The martial art sentence was a sarcastic dig.
    As he mentioned you don’t know how mad I can get, and that his anger alone will deter any intruder with a firearm, with a bat.

he is delusional in his thinking, and it hurts us to think about it.

his Father, an ex marine, has the abilities, but my Godsons remarks, about taking on 2-3 intruders, even with one firearm, and him, using a bat and winning with sheer brutality.

He is in a dreamworld!
    He is at best, 130-140 lbs wet, and this is a generous estimate.
    My forearms are thicker than his calves.

It probably won’t happen, but there’s always a “what if” scenario.
    And I truly hope his father (cousin) is up and ready with his mossberg.

The,night we were arguing about it, he kept getting louder, woke the wife, and she laid in bed listening, next morn, she said, “wow, didnt think he was such a Liberal, his remarks and jumping off their upstairs landing w a bat, and kicking their butts, was laughable”

He needs a good talking too, and some life lessons.

cheers

primer1 and schnuffleupagus like this.
  2. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Life lessons that come calling without notice are often the harshest.

Still, the burnt hand teaches best, as the saying goes.

May he survive it. (If such does occur.)

Ghost1958, JimRau and schnuffleupagus like this.

3. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Roger that, well said.:cool: Like I said, THERE IS NO SECOND PLACE, ONLY WINNERS AND LOSERS in life and death confrontations!:( And yes, HOPEFULLY they/we do as they/we trained! In this case the officer did the RIGHT thing in a BAD situation! I had the training tape the FBI made of the Dade County shoot out, but it got lost when I loaned it out. The point I was trying to make is that some of us have learned to deal with both the good and the BAD part of reality in a HEALTHY way, and some have been 'trained/indoctrinated' not to deal with it in a healthy way. Now days people are taught that if you don't 'loose it' if you have to use deadly force against another person you are a sick/bad person (reference to the Monkeys post). Just because a person has to to use violence against another person does not make them a bad person, and if they are able to deal with it mentally in a healthy manner they are not a sick/flawed person. MOST PEOPLE HANDLE IT JUST FINE, but those who do not get ALL the attention. And the modern 'snowflake' indoctrination is making it worse/harder for ALL of us to deal with it.:(

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Paul Harrel did a video on the Dade shootout. Worth watching.

kfox75 and schnuffleupagus like this.
  5. JimRau

And there is nothing wrong with that. But counseling can be self counseling.;) I know that I did not use force against another person with a motive other than duty and survival, no malicious intent. Did I 'enjoy' it? No I did not, but was I happy I prevailed, YES I WAS!!! So using some common sense and logic goes along way at realizing the bad and wrong are not synonymous. I have 'counseled' several other vets and cop friends who have ask for help in dealing with this issue. You must realize that there A LOT more good in the world than bad, so do not dwell on the bad. And realize there is nothing WRONG with being STRONG AND RESPONSIBLE and doing the RIGHT thing when dealing with the bad, even though that goes against the modern 'snowflake' indoctrination!

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Jim
    Very well stated. And you are correct! There is Good and there is certainly Evil. And that is why some of us have had to experience it. And that to me, is why we took our Oath in the first place to stand and defend the Good. And to protect the Good no matter what the cost! We certainly have experienced and seen things most do not need to experience or see. And I am thankful on their behalf and hope they never do!;)
    And personally like you, I think our Law Enforcement Carrere was a calling! Because I believe God put us there in the first place!
    But the good news is we saw more Good over the years than Evil!

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My father and his brother both survived combat in WW2. My brother survived combat in Korea. They did not talk about it but they did get on with their lives. I was in between wars so I did not see combat but I believe just as they did I would get on with my life. What troubles me are the people that brag about their kills. What bothers me more are Liberals that depend on others to do the dirty work then denigrate them when they do the job they were unwilling to do. They come with phony excuses for not doing what has to be done. Justifying their behavior with a holier than thou attitude and false compassion is a phony excuse. They deserve to not have police and need to see 1st hand what happens. The protection rackets will flourish and they will pay a big price.

Sniper03, kfox75, JimRau and 3 others like this.
  8. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

No sane person ever wants to kill someone, to a point of acting on it, but most people are capable of it, and would be able to live with themselves afterward.

My grandfather answered the call.for marksmen during the Attica uprising, and was one of the troopers up on the wall. He made.no night deal of it, knew.which bodies were his, and never lost any sleep over.it.

Yes, he killed.3.men, but here's the real question to consider. How many lives.did he SAVE.that day, by killing them?

Like Winds, yes, it would affect.me, but doing nothing, and dying, or having someone else.die, when I could stop.it, would affect.me.far worse. I'm not wired to stand.by, and do nothing .nor are.most of my friends and family.

I ask this question from time to.time. Tour 12.year old child, just got grabbed by two guys in a panel van. Which neighbor do you want witnessing, and or handling it?

Option A. Mr. " I'll call.le, and given them a concerned citizen call. I don't want to get more involved than that."

Or, Option B. The mother ****er who's going to do everything and anything he.can, to stop that van, to rescue your child, including chewing through the side of.it, to do so.

I know my choice, and if I found out a neighbor only called, I'd be pretty damn pissed at them. However, if it was their kid, even after that, I would die trying to save that kid.

You can draw your own conclusions on what else I wouod be willing to do, to do the same. I'm pretty sure most on here are .the same.way. And I don't think that I would lose that much sleep.over it, or that much of my appetite. But I know I would, if I did nothing.

9. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

I must be crazy.

kfox75 likes this.
  10. kfox75

I know I am.

As one of my friends put it once, " He doesn't like to fight, because he knows himself, and he is about the only person, that he's afraid of. Let that sink in. He's not afraid of you, but he scares the ever loving ****, out of himself.

Is that really the guy you want to **** with?"

Guy he said it to went dead silent. Finished up his drink, came over, and after apologizing, asked me for the side of the story, he didn't get from my ex.

Long story short, she got pregnant a. Couple months after we split, claimed it was mine, and that I forced her to have it aborted. Anyone who knows me, KNOWS that I would have locked her up in an underground bunker, until she delivered that child, had it been mine, and tempted to, even if it wasn't.

Especially after what I lost, 27 years ago, who would be 26 now. And God, that STILL hurts.

My problem is, in such situations, my eye anx.minx see what.needs to be done, the. Command goes out to the body, and the body executes said. Commands , consequences be damned to.me, or the offending party.

Just like typing a command in DOS, on an old.computer, and hitting the Enter key. I can. Control everything leading up to that point on my end,.and try to avoid fights, ut on e someone's a tions dictate a.response. I respond, mine what I'm doing, and just don't care what I'm doing, or just did, in ending the conflict.

The only fight you ever win, is the one avoided, so I do my best to avoid them. Fir the other guys safety.

So yeah, join the club, as I know I'm nucking futz.

austin92 and schnuffleupagus like this.
  11. JimRau

EVERYONE is crazy, some just crazier than others!!!;)

Ghost1958 and kfox75 like this.
  12. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

IMO: The killing of idiot who attacked and came close to killing the policewoman with knives is no different from engaging a large attacking dog. There is this persistent myth that everyone who offs some scumbag will suffer from guilt pangs forever.

Had a long time friend who was a policeman/detective. Bill was forced to kill four men in four separate incidents. Hung out with the guy fishing, shooting, hunting and just talking. Went on hunting trips with the guy, he slept soundly. Bill passed quietly in his sleep at age 88.

JimRau, Ghost1958, kfox75 and 5 others like this.
  13. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Never have had to put down an assailant, yet. (Hope I never have to.) Though I've severely damaged several violent miscreants who thought me an easy mark. Thought no more about it, other than beefing-up awareness, prep and security tactics. They'd earned every ounce they got. And it was all on them, as the "snakes" and "wolves" they thought themselves to be. I'm okay with that.

JimRau, Ghost1958 and kfox75 like this.
  14. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a somewhat current position by certain people who believe beneath the surface of every crook, criminal, sadist or thief beats the heart of a person who really wants to do the "right thing" if only his inner spirit could be reached and energized by the tender mercies of forgiving and loving Social Workers. Resulting in, more and more, a standard of "treatment" rather than punishment for criminals.

Truth is, there are all levels of "bad" in some people, including "bad to the bone." Fear of punishment if caught keeps many a potential crook on the straight and narrow.

IMO, the old saying "He deserved killing!" is still applicable in some cases.

ellis

15. alsaqr

Yep, there are those who advocate the wounding of attackers. i'm waiting for someone to blow both knee caps off an attacker. i can hear the howling now: "He was about to turn his life around and that awful man crippled him for life. " :p

Ghost1958, kfox75, primer1 and 2 others like this.
  16. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

And we’re going to sue the shooter for crippling him.

JimRau, Ghost1958, kfox75 and 3 others like this.
  17. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Let's give some thought , (the right stuff" ...! If anybody in the line of service can't disconnect , they are in the wrong business . Eating lunch afterwards has nothing to do with anything . What effect killing somebody has on somebody , only he or a counselor if needed should be questioned .

The outward reaction to others may not be exposed but how the person that killed should be evaluated . Coming to terms with it comes with the job . Accept what has happened , justified what has happened and move on would seem right . Taking a life should never be easy or enjoyable !
    Should it turn out as pleasure , That person should not be in that position at all ! MHO.....

kfox75 likes this.
  18. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

a few years back someone did a psychological study of prison inmates and found that there are 55 ways they think differently than general society. a major one is, they really do believe that it isn't a crime if you don't get caught.

ellis36 likes this.
  19. kfox75

+ 10,000!

Solid truth Jim.

Same way my grandfather was. Went pretty much the same way, at age 85.

I'm just glad Ingot those last few minutes with him, around 0130 , on 13 December, 2012. He wasn't completely coherent and clear, nut Inwill always remember the last words we said to each other.

No guilt, no confessions, no BS. Just love and respect.

"You won't have to. He survived, so he can hire an ambulance chaser himself."

How did my grandfather put it? " Dead men can't testify." and " Make damn well sure, that they fall IN the door, not out of it!"

Miss ya Trooper Ward.

alsaqr and winds-of-change like this.
  20. alsaqr

In 1965 my first wife attended a week long handgun and self defense course given by an old Maryland state trooper. At the end of the course the trooper said: "If the guy you shot is wounded and stuck in the window, drag him into the house and shoot him again; we want to hear one story".

This trooper gave each lady a long beer can opener and instructed them to "tear the guys face off' if attacked. Years later i incorporated that in my own instruction as a portion of a rape prevention course.

How things have changed.

ellis36 likes this.