LAPD Officer Criticized For Killing Knife Wielding Attacker

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by alsaqr, Jul 28, 2020.

1. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Speaking on the same subject I've been watching a youtube channel called "PoliceActivity" and found this video. Same thing,
    Man gets shot after charging a cop with two Sai-Style Knives.

And this cop used a taser first (dident work) and then used LETHAL FORCE and almost fell in the process. Pretty scary.

dango, schnuffleupagus and alsaqr like this.
  2. aarondhgraham

aarondhgraham Well-Known Member

This happened to a friend of mine back in the early 90's,,,
    She was a brand new park ranger in California.

She shot and killed a butcher knife wielding homeless guy,,,
    He was advancing on her and verbally threatening her.

A brand new assistant DA decided this was a good case to make a name for herself,,,
    She had manslaughter charges filed against my friend the day after the shoot.

Somehow they got her to go to the academy,,,
    They gave her a rubber training gun and did the "Tueller" thing with her.

Fortunately that was enough to convince her of her mistake,,,
    Charges were immediately dropped.

My friend was very fortunate.

Aarond

3. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

This guys reaction is what scars the crap out of me. I don't feel I could count on him if it really got bad. He needs to find another way to make a living! :(

4. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

That is much easier to say when you are sitting at home watching the video and not facing the imminent threat as she was.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2020
  5. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

And a fine looking young lady.

The LA Times is as left as the NY Times, and staffed with police haters. Knives are dangerous. Someone threatening a uniformed police officer with a knife is foolish and dangerous.

I hope she is getting the counseling she needs.

dango and alsaqr like this.
  6. schnuffleupagus

She would've stopped if the numbskull would've stayed down after the first 2 shots. This guy got what he wanted, suicide by cop.

dango and kfox75 like this.
  7. schnuffleupagus

Sad story. What are his parents doing? If either of my children believed nonsense like this I would confess to them that I failed them as a father.
    Does your church have any endorsed outdoor activities? Camping, backpacking that kind of thing.

dango likes this.
  8. schnuffleupagus

I lose patience with the second guessing and the "why didn't they just shoot them in the leg..."

I knew I did not have the temperament for law enforcement early. I hope that police forces work to sort out those like me, but less honest. I suspect that Toni McBride did not join the police force in 2017 with the active intent on learning what its like to kill someone. I do know that she has been training to shoot center-mass in order to stay alive should circumstances require it.
    The Hernández family is surely hurting, but when the pain subsides they will realize that their son/brother was intending to die that day. The parents owe Toni McBride an apology for raising so fragile an adult that he could not even kill himself without destroying other peoples property and ruining a young officers day.
    Sure, someone will say something about the mentally ill. "shrug" EVERYBODY struggles. Life is hard, its supposed to be, the meaning comes with the difficulty.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    dango, kfox75, Oldoutlaw and 3 others like this.
  9. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Watch the video again. He got up after the first two shots, she gave him three and four. He was on the ground during five and six. She was still completely in the right to use deadly force.

dango, kfox75 and schnuffleupagus like this.
  10. JimRau

WOW! Spoken by someone who has never had someone try and kill them and lacks real life experience in general!:( Life and death situations do not have a second place, only winners and losers.:oops:
    So, how would you, wabbit, handled this situation??????????:rolleyes:

kfox75, austin92 and JTJ like this.
  11. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

I've got a few family members that think this way. They have no clue about how difficult it can be to strike a determined assailant, particularly one puny, fast-moving part of that person's body, all while in the thick of an attempted murder against us. Ain't easy.

^ This.

But it's fairly rare, so far as I can tell. Usually, almost invariably, the family turns out to lambast the system, the "Man," the officer(s) in question, and the downtrodden life that led their "baby" to such straits.

Indeed: had he an ounce of personal integrity or sense, he'd have simply gone out on a couple grams of fentanyl, or similar, and let it go. His choice, though, was to attempt to inflict as much pain, suffering and damage upon everyone around him as he was capable of. What a guy. All too typical.

dango, kfox75, JTJ and 2 others like this.
  12. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

If you can kill another human being and go eat lunch you are defective and need to be removed from the gene pool.

dango likes this.
  13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

The previous comment here mentioned the TASER and it's use!
    For those who are not that familiar with the Taser. They have two probes that are fired from the Taser out of a cartridge. Each probe simply has a Strait Fish Hook at the tip. When it strikes the Barbs pernitrate the clothing or skin of the person shot with it. And a timer in the unit activates the electrical shock for 5-30 seconds at 50,000 Volts at 2.1 Milliamps depending on the Unit. Our Training Tasers activated for only 5 seconds. This since each officer as part of their training would experience the Taser! But the point I want to make is the closing time of a knife attack. Does an officer even have time to use a Taser? If they are within 21 ft. by the time you react they can cut or stab you. And the main point as with another recent post with the Officer chased by the mentally ill man with a knife. One better hope "Both" the Taser Probes hit the suspect in order for the Taser to complete the circuit and be effective. Police Tasers max range "at best" 35 ft. 50,000 Volts and 2.1 Milliamps. And civilian Taser Models max range 15 ft. 25,000 -50,000 Volts depending on the model.
    Believe me I know, I was a Certified Taser Instructor for several years on the Metro PD, and have taken at least 5 hits over the period of time. They work if effectively applied! Where legal the civilian tasers are excellent for ladies and others to have available!
    TASER.jpg
    Civilian Models
    Taser International.jpg
    Law Enforcement Model X26
    The bottom line is in certain situations the Taser is not the best go to!;)

dango, alsaqr, kfox75 and 4 others like this.
  14. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

have you ever noticed that when someone quotes a person on your ignore list they always demonstrate why they are on your ignore list?

if you must shoot you have no choice but shoot to kill. if you aim for this, and they move, you hit that. that which you hit may be an artery. ergo, any shooting can result in a homicide. the only justifiable shooting is a justifiable homicide.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2020
  15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Micro
    You are correct! You shoot until the threat has ended. SO there can not be any specified amount of rounds as some may think!
    A good example was Platt and Matix in the confrontation and gun battel with the FBA Agents in Miami Florida on the Tamiami Trail. I think it was Platt who received a mortal wound at the very beginning of the gun battle. But kept on fighting and shooting for some time afterwards. Even though he was mortally injured! And also several FBI Agents were shot and some killed as well as both Platt and Matix died in the end! Also when the S*** is going down you do not have time to step back rationalize and evaluate or second guess what your response should be! If you do you are simply dead!;)
    That is why I always told the officers "You will Do as You have Trained"!

16. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

By whose expert opinion.

If a person tries to kill me demanding me or anyone else for that matter ,to feel remorse for that person being shot and dying as a result is IMO ludicrous.

Many will be destroyed over it.
    Many it wont bother much if at all.

dango, alsaqr, kfox75 and 2 others like this.
  17. JimRau

So was I suppose to starve to death to make wimps like you happy????:rolleyes: Thanks again Monkey for proving the point that the overly civilized idealistic idiots/liberal secular progressives thing anyone who can deal with the stress of combat are 'defective'. Nothing could be further from the truth. Monkey, I am sorry you can't deal with reality, but please stop insulting and ridiculing those of us who can and have crossed that bridge and are still just fine!:rolleyes:

kfox75, austin92 and Ghost1958 like this.
  18. schnuffleupagus

Thats funny.

Just don't put ketchup on your hot dog.

kfox75, ellis36, Ghost1958 and 3 others like this.
  19. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Mustard and Relish is the way to go lol! :cool::D;)

20. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

If I had to justifiably kill someone, I would be pretty upset for a while. I’m pretty sure I’d need some counseling to put it behind me. Even though it was a justified shooting. Everybody has a different emotional tolerance level.

kfox75 and schnuffleupagus like this.