Lanyard for your knife - yes or no

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Marthor, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Marthor

Marthor New Member

http://www.amazon.com/EK-Paracord-S...qid=1370886949&sr=1-25&keywords=knife+lanyard

[​IMG]

I'm interested in putting a lanyard on my survival knife. It could be used as a wrist retention aid and also some spare cord which can be useful. I also like to watch knife reviews by "nutnfancy" on youtube and noticed he was putting lanyards on some of his knives too.

Looking for "how to" instructions on how to tie my own or where I could buy a good one. This one I linked on amazon is spare cord, but I don't see how it would work for wrist retention.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

550 cord is easy enough to get hands on. Directions for making anything you would possible want out of it are on YouTube.
    Personally I'm not a big fan of the lanyard. I prefer to wrap my handles.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Not for wrist. for thumb. Hook loop over thumb, across back of hand, knife held with pommel at little finger, blade end towards thumb.

Put it around your wrist, now I have a handle to pull you around.

lanyard.jpg

4. Marthor

Marthor New Member

Interesting! Where can I get one like that to try it out?

5. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Lanyard? Paracord!? It's s STRING for cryin' out loud! And they go on rackett ball rackets, not knives...

6. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Also a good way to handle the strap on an old fashioned nightstick.

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lol. I'm assuming that was already partially sarcastic. The uses for paracord in a survival situation rival those of duct tape.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2013
  8. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I don't use lanyards on all my knives only the ones I keep on me when I'm oyt on the boat or in a canoe I also keep a flint and steel on the chord. Theirs tons of youtube videos on how to do the patterns for tec baclets just tweek them a bit and boom possabilites are endless. You could have alot of paracord with a flint and steel along with your knife or just a cool looking lanyard.

9. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Same here. If I get a fixed blade with a skeletal handle I will weave the 550 cord through the handle. I gives a better grip and if it is taken apart in an emergency, a 6 foot section of 550 cord can be turned into around 40 feet of cordage. With a hollow handled knife, I will put a few feet in the handle, simply because you never know when it will be needed.

Fixed it for ya. ;) Nothing is a versatile as duct tape, but 550 cord comes pretty close. I can make a water bag out of duct tape, but the 500 cord is not watertight.

10. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

I just like the way it looks, but it can come in handy I guess.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  11. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Yes, and it's effectiveness is directly proportionate to how colorful and/or nicely braided it is. I have a life-saving tactical survival camouflage paracord bracelet I bought at The Disney Store in the mall but haven't seen it since I got it...

Please already!

12. Marthor

Marthor New Member

Here's my first try at it...
    [​IMG]

I have a number of knives and after looking through them, I was surprised how few had a good lanyard attachment point.

13. Marthor

Marthor New Member

Gunny-Approved SOG SEAL PUP: I've been interested in getting a SEAL PUP for a while and finally got one this week. I also added the lanyard myself measured to fit my grip.
    [​IMG]

I decided for this type of lanyard for my SEAL PUP after watching this video. He shows several different ways to make several different grips. I like the over-handle lanyard grip because it sticks to your palm like glue. You can skip ahead in the video to 3:30 if you want to get to the instructions faster. He fills the rest with some entertaining redneck rambling. LOL

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOm5RpPOVhI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

There's other neat videos too for different functional lanyards. Glad I got into this and it's a lot of fun & easy stuff to pick up on.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  14. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

I love paracord. its amazing something so thin can hold 550lbs of dead weight. You can use it to make splints , tie off hemorrhaging wound. make snares , make bootleg sling. all kinds of stuff.

From left to right Ontario 1-18SBK machete , Cold steel roach belly , Estwing camp axe ( which I took off all the leather washers and re wrapped it in 550 cause the laminated leather was very slippery when wet and made and awful cumbersom handle . The 550 slimmed down the handle , eliminated the slip n slide . Now you get an excellent purchase of the hatchet ) , CRKT folts minimalist bowie neck knife I replaced the junk cord it came with with camo 550 and last but not least my ontario utilitac 2

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  15. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

What many people don't realize that a lanyard placed on a large folder, can be / is used for inertia in opening the folder as if it were an assisted blade. It works very effectively but the blade can be sunk into or slashed upon your leg until you master the rhythm of the swing/down stroke.

16. jp_over

jp_over New Member

Silly title, but the instructions are solid and easy to follow:

http://www.boondoggleman.com/

I used information on this site to make my own duck lanyard out of 550 cord.