Landing in New Zealand. 4:00 video.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Vincine, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

2. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

That was nice,,, an excellent aviator,, put the aircraft down very smoothly.

3. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Excellent? Excellent? To fly through those mountains, in those clouds, blind? I guess I'll never be a pilot. I don't care what kind of instruments I have!

4. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

5. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

LOL! Between maps, GPS and ILS, it's not as blind as it seems. Every airport has very detailed approaches, and the tower gives you up-to-the-minute weather and wind conditions. You could fly through those mountains completely clouded over and not hit a thing. It's a pretty amazing system, not to mention the pilots that master it.

6. Vincine

Vincine New Member

My nephew's a pilot. He wanted to be one since he was six. When he was learning how to fly and was supposed to go up, he'd look at a clear blue sky in the morning and say, "Looks like we won't be going up today, its too windy at 25k feet". Now he flys Citations for NetJets. They sent him to aerial acrobatic school to do loops and rolls and stalls and spins and what not. They want their pilots to be able to fly by feel, even without the instruments.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  7. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

Thanks so much. My bro-in-law flew back to NZ today.

Taking off is better - pilot has to aim right at a mountain. :)

8. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

It's not a scary as it might appear. You just use your instruments, listen to ATC, and you'll pop out of the clouds looking down the runway.
    BTW, the scenery in the mountains is GREAT!!!

9. string1946

string1946 New Member

I think I saw a UFO. :D

10. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

That was just the Queen, skydiving into a stadium before a rugby game.
    :D

11. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I’m usually a believer in technology, but I think if I had to pilot a jet through those mountains in those clouds, I’d need to become a Hindu so I could have a God as my co-pilot, navigator, first officer, steward, passengers, etc. At least it didn’t seem to be windy.