Lamb killers deterred

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by hairbear1, Sep 28, 2013.

1. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

Went out Friday night for a bit of a fox attitude adjustment spolighting session on a farmer's place that has lambs dropping everywhere.

We saw about 6 foxes and nailed 3 but due to the long grass couldn't find 2 of them.

My son dropped this fella with my RugerM77 22/250AI using 60gn Hornady Varmint projectiles in front of 35.5gns of AR2208(Varget).
    He was about 150yds away when he stopped 1 with his head.

This makes about 30+ foxes we've taken out in the past few months on different property's.

Attached Files:

2. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I never hunted fox. Thought they would be smaller. I thought they did not pack, or was it just a case of six loners. Nice shooting for your boy.
    Can't blame the fox too much, lamb is good eating.

3. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

Fox's don't pack up. Only time you see foxes together is at mating time which is around July/August other than that they are loners.
    Lambs are worth a fair bit of money and a couple of foxes can rip the stuffing out of a mob of sheep with lambs over a period of time so they get shot or baited.
    Their skins used to worth anything up to $60 at 1 time till the bloody Animal Rights idiots stuck their snouts in and killed the fur trade.

4. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

We have very few foxes here: Too many coyotes. The coyotes get about one-third of the fawns every year.

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Fox pelts are still worth good money. In fact, with the high demand for fox pelts in Asia fox pelts were at an all time high at last years fur auction. You can't blow up the pelt with an expanding bullet. To get full value for your pelts you need to take the fox with a FMJ 22 LR. If you have no experience drying pelts start with nutria or muskrat. Drying the pelt for a good presentation affects the value of your lot greatly.

6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

We have too many fox. The German government spread rabies vaccination in food througout the forests, without thinking about the consequences of smaller game and livestock. A freaking disaster. We hunters have a big chore keeping the population down. We are their only predators. Never mess with the cycle of life.

Attached Files:

• 037.jpg
      037.jpg
      File size:
      27.2 KB
      Views:
  7. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

If you all need any help, I'll be glad to pay for a ticket to Germany. What could be better? Fox hunting And beer. :)

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Mary had a little lamb...and a badass scope.

If the furs aren't worth selling, perhaps it would be interesting to try your son's hand at tanning the hide, maybe making a purse for a girlfriend or a nice wall piece.

9. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

I used to use my .222 and a 45gn Speer SP loaded with 20gns of powder and either a chest shot front on or a head shot as there is minimal pelt damage. After skinning we'd peg them out to dry and then sell them to a fur buyer but since they're probably lucky to be worth $15 tops it's easier to spread their brains over the paddock and move onto the next victim.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The average price for a fox pelt is $48.87. The top lot brought $90 per red fox pelt. You get under $15 a pelt because your pelts look like chit.

http://www.furharvesters.com/results/2013/June/june13us.pdf

11. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

It might be the fox in Australia don't grow a lush winter coat. I have no clue about selling pelts in Australia. It could be he is dealing with a middleman that pays nothing and sells for top dollar. Local fur buyers here try to buy fox pelts cheap and say the pelt market is dead. Most knowledgeable fox hunters avoid these parasites like the plague. If hides are worth $50 in the US they have to be worth considerably more in Asia.

13. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

No need for full coats in Australia. I only hunt fox for fur during the winter. The rest of the time for population control and livestock protection.

14. orangello

orangello New Member

I wonder, are all the foxes of the same species? I would find that hard to believe.

15. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I am not an expert but isnt Australia a fairly warm place. i do know that the best fur are collected during winter or from colder climates

16. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

That's a bit harsh coming from somebody who knows nothing about the Australian fur trade and how it worked and how the fur buyers wanted them pegged out. Some of the foxes we've shot this Winter have been the size of Cattle dogs with coats that are very thick and in good times would've fetched big money.

Our Winter skin season starts around April and ends around the end of July when the foxes start pairing up and although we don't get -20 degree nights our skins are still valued around the skin trade for coats etc. We only have the European Red Fox here in Australia and the better skins come from the Eastern side of Australia more so in the alpine type country. The foxes from the Western plains are the same fox but smaller in size.

Our prices were killed by the animal lib wankers back in the '90's and have never recovered. The market used to support skin prices up to and including $60 per pelt but up to this season the they averaged around $13 - $15 per pelt.
    Talking to a mate at the pub yesterday afternoon after work and he told me that the prices this season had jumped to $28 per pelt which is definitely worth chasing but the season is now finished.

Like Jagermeister during Summer we shoot them for control but in Winter for profit...............well we used to anyway.

If the prices start off above $25 next season I'll be getting stuck into them real quick.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  17. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Awsome to hear they get their full coats after all. How cold does it get in the Winter?

18. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

At night with a good frost it can touch -10+C in some places but around here it can hit -5+C. The days sometimes might reach 10+ degrees C admittedly not as cold as Europe or the USA gets because we're at a lower latitude but it can still curl your toes up.

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Not much of the red fox harvest is sold in the US. In Asian countries the red fox is seen as "magical" for lack of a better word. The Asians that believe the red fox has supernatural powers want their shoes and coats to have red fox trim.

I sell a couple pelts every year to an Asian seamstress that believes the red fox is a protector. Believe it or not the strip center where her shop was located burned down, except for her shop. The clothing and materials were smoke damaged but none of her machinery was damaged. She has a shop in a much nicer location now.

Australia is a lot closer to Asia than the US. It seems that the AU fur market would be close to the US fur market.

When I made the look like chit comment I thought the poster was in the US. I hope he will accept my apology. We haven't seen $15 for a red fox pelt since the 1970's.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  20. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

No worries mate I reckoned you didn't know that I was talking about Australia hence why I posted that it was in Australia.
    A fair bit of our skins used to go to Europe don't know about the Asian market as I haven't shot for skins for years so things may be different since the '80's.