Ladies - Comments on Pink Pistols

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by sdiver35, Dec 8, 2012.

1. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

My wife and I were at a local gun show today and noticed more than one guy purchasing a colorful pistol for their significant other apparently as a gift. They were both the black and pink models and my wife seemed to be bothered by it.

What are your thoughts? Obviously, if someone isn't into firearms and is a female you could see where making a pistol with splotches of pink may seem cute, but how does it really make it more feminine? Would that make someone more comfortable shooting if they had a predetermined stance that they may not want to do it?

Also, I am in no way making a statement either way and neither is my wife. It was more of a discussion topic the rest of the day and would like input from others on the subject.

2. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

One thing owning a pink gun might do is prevent your husband/boyfriend/brother/son from wanting to take it with THEM to the range.

3. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I would personally never own a pink gun but I don't like pink. I've seen purple and green ones that have looked cool. I think some girlie chicks may be more apt to shoot a gun if it was pink.

4. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

SWMBO loves her charter arms pink lady .380 spl. First firearm she almost always carries.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

some of my pink guns:

mosin 91/30 diy pink

[​IMG]

SW M&P 15-22

[​IMG]

bersa thunder 380

[​IMG]

colt series 70

sorry but my colt pic is messed up it wants to super size. its blued with pink hogue grip panels

ruger 10/22

[​IMG]

i kinda like pink guns but most are utter junk gun makers paint pink in hopes to selling to the unwary

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  6. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

All very good points! Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I don't think I have ever seen a pink scope - pretty cool!!

7. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

The Bersa looks pretty cool.

8. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Good point!

9. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

I don't like pink guns or guns in any of the flashy colors simply because it kind of makes it look like a toy. I know that responsible gun owners wouldn't let kids near the "toy" gun but that's just my opinion.

There is just something morally wrong with a pink Mosin!! ( just kidding. Well sort of)

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

instead of three whit dots on the sights its got three pink dots. nice touch on that :)

so you dont think i should have my scar17 duracoated with pink digicam??

the scope was done custom anodized pink by leupold in their custom shop its a vx3 rimfire efr 3-9x

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  11. heymatthew

heymatthew New Member

I think the pink appeals to new female shooters. I think it's more of a "Hey! Look at me! I'm pink! Don't you want to take me home with you? I match your under-roos perfectly!"

My wife (who doesn't shoot, doesn't want to shoot, doesn't want to talk about shooting or even know anything about it) even made a comment about it one day. We were at a local store that sells guns and they had a pink revolver in the case. She made mention that it was ridiculous and a little bit sexist.

I guess it's no different than the Zombie green stuff. It appeals to some people. My mother is one of them. She bought her first gun recently and before buying it, she emailed me to get my opinion on what she should look for. She stated that she specifically wanted a "pink one". It didn't take me long to convince her that going after a pink gun would seriously limit her on choices and quality. I know Taurus makes some decent revolvers in pink, Bersa makes the Thunder with pink grips and Walther carries their little .22 in some kind of pink camo or something, but that's about it. They're not the nicest guns you'll find and the other guys like Jiminez are garbage. I think buying a gun you like because of the way it fits and shoots is a good place to start. You can deck it out with all the pink or green or blue or whatever color you want after you own it.

Just my 2 cents.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

i agree. diy it whatever you want after you secure a quality firearm. most pink guns out of the factory are just junk

13. heymatthew

heymatthew New Member

Oh and one more thing...

I think buying a pink gun will REALLY limit your resale market. Some people buy guns and keep them forever and ever. But if you decide to sell your pink gun, be prepared to have to wait for what will most likely be a woman shooter and they don't make up the majority of shooters, in my opinion.

Painting, Duracoting or Cerakoting a gun pink really brings down the resale value as well, in my opinion. I like to make modifications to guns that can be undone. Pink grips, scopes, stocks, mags, rail covers, buttstocks, etc. are all great ways to accessorize a standard-color pistol without disrupting the resale value or limiting your resale market.

Again, just my 2 cents. I'm not a woman though so I could be way off base here. We all know that what we THINK women are thinking, actually couldn't be farther from the truth. LOL!

14. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

I would personally donate $50 to see your SCAR in pink....lol after which I would take several days off from work due to illness.

15. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

There are more and more women shooting handguns today...
    More women shooters than ever before. Pink guns are available for one reason only - because they sell.
    Same with the green zombie stuff & and the cottage industry of 1911 grips and parts and other customizations of 1911's.

We may all complain about the marketing proliferation of 'zombie gear' and pink guns but as long as these things are selling and making money for someone - they will be around.

I say anything that helps or exposes or brings someone closer to shooting sports is a good thing.

16. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm surprised they sell, not that I think it's a bad thing I just don't see the appeal. I don't like pink at all, I would never buy a pink gun, I would never buy a pink anything. Sorry Jon but I think a pink gun is like a pink Camaro, just isn't right.... That's just me.

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I love this gun of Jon's. It's even prettier in real life. It certainly is an eye-catcher!!

Personally, I like pink guns. I would never buy a gun just because it is pink but if there was a gun I was seriously interested in and it came in pink, I might consider it. I did buy the Sig p238 in the "Lady Model" which is the same Sig in a fancy color with a little engraving.

What I like about a pink (or any other non-typical gun) is that it kind of personalizes it. When we buy a car, furniture, paint our houses, etc., we choose a color that appeals to use and makes it 'ours'. I have a pink cover on my cell phone because it sets it out from most others and it makes it 'mine'.

I like pink guns. But I don't own one. And if someone is stupid enough to buy a gun simply because it's pink.......well, their an idiot.