Kydex holsters

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by drtybrd97, Oct 30, 2013.

1. drtybrd97

drtybrd97 New Member

Having a hard time making a decision on what holster to get. I have a XD service model with a 4 inch barrel and want to get a good holster. This will be my first Kydex holster. I want to get one that can be used as OWB concealed carry. I would like to have one that can be used as IWB also. There are a lot of companies that make them. Can't decide. Been looking at Fury holsters, Bravo concealment and Multiholsters. Anyone have experience with these or other brands? Any help or pointers would be great. Thanks in advance.
    Drtybrd97

2. BugOut

BugOut New Member

Hidden Hybrid Holsters! I own 2 of their holsters for my S&W M&P .40C and my Sig P250. Their holsters can be worn IWB or OWB and are AWESOME!

http://www.hiddenhybridholsters.com

3. string1946

string1946 New Member

I've got a Blackhawk Serpa CQC that I like. It locks the handgun in place and is easy and natural to release. I'm really not worried about anyone snatching my gun but if I run to get across a street I don't want to hear it hit the ground either. It can't be use IWB but I don't think I want a hard Kydex holster inside my waist band anyway. I would rather have leather for IWB. The Blackhawk come with the option of belt mount or paddle for less than $50. Mine is for a Springfield Armory XDS 45 acp.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

In a Serpa the retention tab is released with the trigger finger. My 5.11 kydex holster is similar, but it has a thumb release.

5. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

Check out N82 tactical. They are IWB holsters but they aren't too expensive and are far more comfortable than any IWB or OWB holster I've found so far. They have some with a clear plastic, not sure if it's kydex, or you can get elastic to hold it to the suede backing. My elastic version will hold anything under 4" barrel, though it's a little harder to reholster.

6. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

I use an X-Concealment kydex holster and love it. I wear it every day off-duty. www.x-concealment.com

7. drtybrd97

drtybrd97 New Member

I ended up buying a holster from Fury Carry Solutions. I'll post pics when I can. Great holster. Very comfortable. Excellent quality.

8. cotex

cotex New Member

That's a glock thirty in my thinkfast atacs, got a clip on the opposite.

Tex

Attached Files:

9. drtybrd97

drtybrd97 New Member

Here is my Fury holster. It is their stone gray kydex which I think looks great. Fits my service model XD perfectly. It has a ten degree cant that conceals very well. I have been toying around with different belt loop configurations to try and find the most comfortable/easiest conceilability. Not sure that's a word but sounds good ha.

ForumRunner_20131213_145040.jpg

ForumRunner_20131213_145118.jpg

Edit: 20 degree cant

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  10. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

Does yours have the sweat resistant backing? I'm trying to find out what that's made of but the web site doesn't say.

11. drtybrd97

drtybrd97 New Member

I don't think it is a sweat resistant coating, backing or anything like that. None of my paperwork states that. Kydex is sweat resistant or sweat proof as is. It does have a "full" sweat guard. The kydex covers up the slide almost completely on the inside so it shouldn't contact your skin. I would call it a 3/4 sweat guard but that's just me.

12. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

That kydex can't be very comfortable huh? I know I tried several leather holsters and the only one I liked was the N82 because of the flat suede backing. Kydex seems like it wouldn't be any better than leather.

13. drtybrd97

drtybrd97 New Member

As an outside the waistband it is very comfortable. You can get the right clips to make it IWB but I like it so much outside I don't see any reason to change.

14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Truth is, Kydex is great for OWB. There is no unwelcome retention on a draw, once the release is activated. IWB, I agree, not the best. Suede is better to live with.

15. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

I haven't tried Kydex OWB but I've tried leather and I don't like how it pulls at my belt. I don't guess the Kydex would be any different for that huh?

With the suede IWB it feels like the suede grips the skin and actually carries some of the weight.

16. drtybrd97

drtybrd97 New Member

The kydex sits snug to the body, great retention and looks cool, haha. But it still does pull on the belt still. I'm looking at getting a stiffer belt to help that problem. 5.11 makes some but so far I like the Ares gear ranger belt. Stiff double/triple layer nylon scuba grade belt that holds its shape and will not crush under load. The belt really makes the holster function better. Lose belt with kydex = much harder to draw and you lose concealability when the holster falls/slides around on the belt.

17. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

A Kydex holster should not be as tight as to grip the gun like leather does. Once you push the retention tab, it should come out effortlessly. Adjusting the holster angle can be really helpful, so that you pull straight out depending on your personal biomechanics and the gun profile. Kydex is low friction, that reduces the belt pull on a draw.

18. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

I have a 1.5" leather belt that doesn't deform at all. It just puts all the weight on my left hip and the gun sags a bit on the right. It's even more uncomfortable if I put it tighter. Retention isn't the problem. Just how it rides.

19. drtybrd97

drtybrd97 New Member

Stiffer belt sounds like what you need. I think 5.11 makes a leather gun belt. That is the only thing that will effect how it rides on the waist. Gun belts are a lot more rigid. The leather one I mentioned has an inner later of kydex...I think. The other one from Ares has multiple layers.

20. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I wear nylon belts by 5.11, they are light and rigid. You just have to try different kinds. Low rise pants may be uncomfortable for OWB especially if you have a heavy midsection. The rigid belt will ride on the left pelvic bone. Bones don't like that. Cop gear circles the entire waist, they have no other choice, and get back problems in the long run.