Krylon job?

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by ThinkFastHolsters, Sep 3, 2011.

1. ThinkFastHolsters

ThinkFastHolsters New Member

Ok, I have never done this but I a
    Thinking about painting my AK coyote tan. Not the whole thing, just the stock, pistol grip, and rail covers. Maybe the mags. Anyone have any tips? Should I sand my parts first? what should I clean them with? What's the best way to guarantee a solid finish? Help me out guys!

2. kafriedel

kafriedel New Member

Please dont spray paint and wreak your gun. Buy a good product for a couple extra dollars. If you have additional questions contact me at Guardedarms.com i have my information on the site.

3. bkt_tater

bkt_tater New Member

I actually used krylon camo spray paint for my rifle. I didn't like the synthetic stock and black barrel so I did it at home. It was very easy and turned out very well. I did a slight sanding and then used isopropyl alcohol to clean it. Just be sure to use a lint free rag.

Attached Files:

4. ThinkFastHolsters

Turned out great after all! Had a buddy of mine give me a hand since he has done all of his guns

Attached Files:

5. bkt_tater

bkt_tater New Member

That looks awesome.

I got a pistol grip collapsable stock on my shotgun and I've been debating spraying it too. Mainly the rear stock and the forearm.

6. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

I really like the look of your rifle however if you used Krylon paint on it, it will never hold up.. At least not for very long. I think it was mentioned above to spend a few extra bucks for product that's made for guns.. DuraCoat is one such product and it's one that I use exclusively.

Trust me on this. It may look nice now but after some use and cleaning, the paint will start to come off or will wear off over time.

7. ThinkFastHolsters

Yea I knew when I did it Krylon won't hold forever but until I find a range that I can go to and put her through the paces it's gonna be shot from only a benches position. Plus I wouldn't mind the "wear and tear" look :)

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Zombi, which Krylon paint did you use? because i am using the Krylon camo paint (flat finish) and have had good luck with it. prep work is the key, no matter what brand of paint or finish you use. i wipe my stocks down with acetone to remove any oils after washing with a small amount of detergent and water. followed with a wipe down with alcohol, then a final wipe with a tack cloth. then i spray a light coat of adhesion promoter and let dry for about an hour. then i use several light coats to lay down my base color, then spray my camo pattern. a couple of mine have endured a coulpe of seasons in the woods with very little wear and tear.

Attached Files:

9. Axxe55

sorry, top two pictures are wrong! couldn't see the small pictures! those are factory camo dipped. wouldn't want people to think my paint jobs are that good!

10. freefall

freefall New Member

I was thinking, "Damn, that guy's good with a spray can!":p

11. ahole

ahole New Member

dude if you could paint like that you would be fn awsome

12. Axxe55

i'm good, but not that good! i only can wish i could paint that good! i spend less than $25 in materials for each gun i do and about three hours of my time to do a rifle. i know a guy who does airbrush painting, he could probably do one like the top pictures, but for what it would cost, i would never take the gun out the house! also i only did the synthetic stocks on my rifles, have not done the metal. if i wanted to do the barrel and receiver or the metal parts of a rifle, i would probably look at getting a different type of material, such as maybe the duracoat or some of the others carried by brownell's.

13. ThinkFastHolsters

I did in fact use Krylon camo flat as well. I did a lot of auto body refinishing a while back and am real anal about prep. I cleaned with alcohol and hit all the parts with a scotchbrite (instead of buying adhesion promoter) then went in with 3 light coats and then 2 heavier coats. I effed up a few times because it was getting dark and I was getting impatient and there were a couple small runs on the stock but I went back ad knocked em out with the scotchbrite and another light coat. Hoping to take it out within the next week

14. PerpetualStudent

PerpetualStudent New Member

LoLoL. Me too!! Then I was thinking "he gotta be yanking our chain!"

15. Axxe55

:)
    sorry to disappoint you guys! wrong pictures at the top. that's why the correction. here are some i have done in camo.

Attached Files:

16. PerpetualStudent

PerpetualStudent New Member

The gun looks great. Excellent job!

17. Axxe55

thank you. i have done this on all of my synthetic stocks that came in black. i just don't like the black synthetic stock look. besides i'm a tightwad, and just wouldn't spend the $150 the guy wanted to do a camo dip of the stocks. at a 150 per stock, =$750! i did five rifles for less than $40 plus my time. so i saved 710, = new gun! my figuring anyways!