Knuckle banging

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by bisbob, Nov 13, 2012.

1. bisbob

bisbob New Member

Went to Rex's Range to try out some different pistols. Chose the Ruger SP101 .357.
    Fired off a few rounds and noticed two things. The noise was considerably louder than my 1911.
    And the knuckle of my right hand behind the trigger guard was getting smacked with every round.
    So I hated the experience, but I figure it must be user error. I thought my grip was correct. Tried different stances, and progressively came to the conclusion I should stick to semi-automatic weapons.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Were you shooting the Ruger DA?

Try it in SA and see if your grip is changing while shooting DA.

In most autoloaders the trigger pull only drops the sear, not cock the trigger and rotate the cylinder. This is called "stacking" and the added difficulty eliminates the need for a safety on revolvers.

3. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Years ago a friend at work saw an ad from Andrews,
    a chain no longer here in my area.
    They had Mdl 29s on sale.
    After work one morning We went to my local store,
    He ordered a 29,
    I saw The Redhawk,
    I ordered a Redhawk.
    Severl days later we picked them up and some ammo.
    Wasn't too smart then either.
    Bought mag. loads.
    Went up in the hills and started shooting,
    as we do "want to try this"
    the Redhawk was easy to shoot.
    Now the point of all this.
    I fired the 29 once.
    Trigger guard hit my finger so hard thought it broke.
    29 is a fine gun, but not for me.

Did Not Fit My Hand.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  4. bisbob

bisbob New Member

Tried both ways

Tried it both ways. The DA was a real turnoff for me. Never got comfortable with it.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

I have limited revolver experience, but noticed that the tiny grips on the snubby .38 are MUCH less comfortable than the BIG squishy grips on my GP100. The extra 5.5" of barrel on the GP100 also helps with recoil and noise.

Try a larger revolver with a fatter grip. Snubbies do look cool though.

6. danolator

danolator New Member

Love my SP101. Replaced the $hitty Ruger grip after the first range session. Solid gun. Totally inferior stock grip.

7. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Get a Houge mono-grip. The shape of the mono-grip prevents you from getting your finger behind the trigger guard. Ruger sells the mono-grip at a competitive price. To be quite frank, you need to work on your grip. You have a weak grip to get smacked by the trigger guard of any weapon. Use both hands and squeeze! A habitual tight grip prevents you from being disarmed and increases your accuracy.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  8. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's a problem I had with my model 65-2. Not an issue with getting smacked, but my hand was riding too high because my middle finger was allowed to go behind the guard instead of under it.

9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

First off No grip is liked by all. Some like the smaller ruger grips. I like the larger soft rubber ruger grip thats made by hogue for ruger. Others prefer pacmyer grips. Lucky they are cheap so pick one and give it a try. You have learned not many cartidges have the snap of a full house 357mag or the blast from the barrel. You do need to hold on with a firmer grip compared to whats needed with a 1911. Maybe get some 38sp or 38sP+ loads to use to get use to it also. Just remeber to clean the cylinder chambers well befor going back to 357 loads.

10. phildenton

phildenton New Member

I put a mustang combat grip on my service six. Love it. Try shooting some standard pressure 38 special. I also changed out both the hammer and trigger springs. Made a world of difference. Theyre not for everyone, but they are for me.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  11. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

This might just be me, but if I only squeezed hard enough to hang on to the pistol I would be plowing the dirt in front of the target. My wrist would break early resulting in low shots. My wife was watching my knuckles turn white when I was shooting my P95. She was picking on me about "trying to strangle the gun." It might have appeared I was squeezing to hard but I was hitting a rifle target every time.

12. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

Gonna have to disagree about the stock grips. I did have to replace the cheap plastic inserts though.

Attached Files:

13. danolator

danolator New Member

Sweet looking grip. I like the finger grooves on my Hogue grip. But that is one nice looking gun.

14. Seven

Seven New Member

As others stated, the stock grip was not for me.
    First thing I did (even before shooting) was replace the grip with Hogue grips.

[​IMG]

15. 207driver

207driver New Member

I agree with the small grips on the Ruger's. I had a chance to shoot my Bro's 357 Blackhawk 50th year Anniversary model. After he shot the first load, his thumb was bloody from the sharp frame piece at the butt, and the target was still clear. I took the next six and also didn't hit the target at 25 ft. The loads were 158 gr. Buffalo Bore which may have been part of the problem, but I could not get a comfortable grip on that gun. With my S&W 27 & target grips I can chew a ragged hole at that range. We talked about swapping out those little wood pieces with something that would fit his hand, but I don't think he has done that yet--too much fun with his new Springfield 1911.:cool:

16. regload

regload Member

The Hogue rubber grips made a world of difference for me. First, the accuracy improved greatly (the factory grips are too small for accuracy beyond 15 yards). Second, the "finger bashing" went way down because the Hogue grips don't allow the subject finger to get caught behind the trigger guard. And, if you don't like rubber, they also come in hard nylon (which can be shaped for each user).

17. motorheadwayne

motorheadwayne New Member

I have a Security Six in 4" which was also my work/carry gun for at least 15 years and God willing will never part with. But that being said, when firing magnum loads I definately have my Pachmeyer grips on. The stock Ruger grips are just too small for my hands. The Pachmeyers smooth out the recoil and allow for much faster target re-acquisition. Sometimes I put the Ruger grips on to fire .38's but even then the Pachmeyers are just a better grip for me. Now I carry my Glock 23, 90% of the time. But I will always keep my Ruger.

18. Grips and gripping.

Original type grips on Colt, Ruger and S&W da revolvers all force the middle finger to sit behind the trigger guard; recoil causes the 'knuckle banging' and one's grip really isn't all that much an issue. So, one must install proper grips which fill in the area aft of the trigger guard, or a Tyler T-grip that does the same thing.

Aside from getting one's middle finger knuckle banged rather severely, one also feels the fingers being 'twisted' to fit. So control and comfort are better all around.

Picture one is a S&W M27 with Fitz 'Gunfighter' grips. The 'hollow' aft of the trigger guard is completely filled.

Picture two is a Colt Detective Special with the original grips. Note the big gap behind the trigger guard. Picture three is the same Detective Special with a human hand (mine) holding it in firing mode. Note how high the middle finger is on the grip.

Three is a S&W M&P (model 10) with a grip adapter and my hand holding it. Note the difference in where my middle knuckle is located. It might seem minor, but it makes a great difference in comfort and control.

Don't anyone be concerned over how high my thumb is riding - the point of the pictures is to show where the griping fingers fit and how the adapter works.

Also note with nearly all semi-automatic pistols, the middle finger is never twisted behind the trigger finger. It is practically impossible for recoil to run the trigger guard into the other fingers.

Attached Files:

19. bisbob

bisbob New Member

Wow! Those photos really bring home the differences. A great explanation, and thanks for pointing out by name the grip adjustments. I will definitely research them.