Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gents- anyone found or bought any new knives lately? I was thinking of getting a new SOG line knife but wanted feedback from others first. Let me know!

·
Supporting Member
12,290 Posts
Jake
There are a lot of good knives. I do have a SOG Seal Pup Tactical Knife I purchased several years ago. It is a great Knife! I do not know what model you are looking at folding or other? But SOG makes good knives. Here is a picture of the Model I have and it also came with a Black Leather Sheath. You can find this Model around $60 or less and a little more with the Leather Sheath. I gave around $90 for it when they first came out including the Sheath!
SOG Seal Pup Elite.jpg

Reactions: kfox75 and OLD Ron

·
Premium Member
12,950 Posts
I only carry pocket knives, but I collect all kinds of knives.

As far as I am concerned, you can not own a better sheath knife Than a PAL RH 35 for everyday work. If you need a heavier blade (with the qualities of an axe) A WWII Quartermaster knife, made by either Case or Cattaraugus are tough as nails. You can pick up these from $75-$100 if you are patient. For a little less change (usually under $75.00) you can get a PAL RH-36 also a WWII vet. I would also give honorable mention to the Vietnam Era JPK (Jet Pilot Knife) The old school carbon blade knives take and hold an edge and have been properly heat treated to be soldier proof. With these blades you not only get great knives, but a piece of history. You can find these knives on eBay just about every day.

DSCN2172.JPG

·
Premium Member
7,090 Posts
Bought another buck 110 slim, I like the pocket clips on them compared to the old brass and wood with the leather belt sheaths.
JPEG_20210420_125832_1107176137669938610.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ontario rat 5 in od green powder coat with dark earth handles from the knife connection and sheath is by rk custom kydex. Fire steel is exotac
20210205_154611.jpg

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
My EDC switched a few years back to a havalon piranta. I had picked one up for a hunt on recommendation from a friend and liked it so much i continued to carry. Its just a pocket knife for cutting things, boxes, whatever. I really like the replacable blades... which can be sharpened quite well if you wanted.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I own several SOG knives. I would say that their fixed blades are very good.

I don't like to disparage a vendor, but SOG folders just don't fit my hand. I have tried several, in fact, I own several, but I don't use them.

·
Premium Member
12,950 Posts
I like my Bench-Made folders for EDC, but I don't use the clips. My second choice, that is easier on the pocketbook, is the Kershaw folders, same deal with the clips. As with guns I tend to like older pocket knives too. Even the cheap Imperials from the 70s and before have good steel with good heat treatment, they are not hard to sharpen, they are tough, and you can buy them cheaply. I have probably dozens of the old four blade camp knives, the original multi-tools. DSCN2175.JPG

·
Premium Member
7,090 Posts
I like my Bench-Made folders for EDC, but I don't use the clips. My second choice, that is easier on the pocketbook, is the Kershaw folders, same deal with the clips. As with guns I tend to like older pocket knives too. Even the cheap Imperials from the 70s and before have good steel with good heat treatment, they are not hard to sharpen, they are tough, and you can buy them cheaply. I have probably dozens of the old four blade camp knives, the original multi-tools. View attachment 241419
You could definitely break off a finger nail while trying to open an old, neglected, camp knife

·
Premium Member
12,950 Posts
You could definitely break off a finger nail while trying to open an old, neglected, camp knife
That is why you keep them clean and oiled. But you are right, I have bought them that I had to use pliers to open. I will generally buy one if it is under ten bucks and I try to stay under eight.

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
One of the many skills at which I suck is sharpening shanks. Had a bucket full of prisoner-made stickers made from everything imaginable - typewriter bails, bedsprings, etc. all deadly. Watched an African refugee hone a restaurant table knife sharp enough to help me skin a deer on the sidewalk outside his apartment. My collection of sharpening stuff is embarrassing. I even packed up two bundles of knives and sent 'em off - To Buck and Cutco. That worked well.

Considering the "Worksharp" belt grinder outfit. Opinions please ?

·
Premium Member
12,950 Posts
One of the many skills at which I suck is sharpening shanks. Had a bucket full of prisoner-made stickers made from everything imaginable - typewriter bails, bedsprings, etc. all deadly. Watched an African refugee hone a restaurant table knife sharp enough to help me skin a deer on the sidewalk outside his apartment. My collection of sharpening stuff is embarrassing. I even packed up two bundles of knives and sent 'em off - To Buck and Cutco. That worked well.

I have cheater tools to sharpen, but with them I can pull of an edge to shave with. I have thought about the Worksharp as well, I think the pros use something like that. I never learned my father's skill at sharpening with a whet-stone. My father died when I was in high school and I suspect that if I still had one of his knives I would find that he sharpened them so flat as to be basically useless. I have seen a lot of others of his generation that did the same.

It was really important for Pops to keep a sharp knife. The old man was a mean drunk with a short-man complex and a huge chip on his shoulder, and he pent a lot of time in cut-n-shoot bars. The ones off the dirt roads back in the sticks...Those old guys would cut each other up something fierce with pocket knives. I remember him coming home once with his ear about cut off and another time it was his thumb, yet another time he came home with a broken jaw that he never had set and he ended up with a crooked face. ;) Some people live life like a candle, Pop live his like a sparkler and he burned out quick. The world did not suffer a groundbreaking loss when he croaked at 57.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I know a guy who has one of these for opening boxes and envelops.
He likes it.

All I carry is a pair of toenail clippers that work to yank out nose hairs.

·
Registered
875 Posts

Not bragging but one of my few skills is knife sharpening. Success starts with good steel, and genuine Arkansas stones....as in, they came from Arkansas. I have three of them. One for a blade that is really messed up (seldom need to use it but it cuts a profile quick), one to re-cut the proper profile to a smoother state, and one to polish the profile.

The steel is much of the problem with knives. Solingen and other carbon steels work best. I won't even waste time with a stainless steel knife (Buck, etc.). A friend taught me and it can take patience with a knife you haven't sharpened before. Once I get through with the polish rock, the blade is like a razor blade. From there, it's a matter of having the discipline to not let the blade get so bad you have to start all over again. Just a touch up after use, like slicing a large brisket, gang encounter (JK), or normal use.

Some cheap knives actually have decent steel in them and a lot of expensive knives have steel that can't be made to be sharp but they are pretty. That's more common that making a cheap knife sharp. Case used to have pretty good steel but don't know about that today. People don't carry knives like they used to. Beware of trying to stab someone when a cop is around........

·
Premium Member
12,950 Posts
I know a guy who has one of these for opening boxes and envelops.
He likes it.

View attachment 241532

All I carry is a pair of toenail clippers that work to yank out nose hairs.
I used to buy automatics, but regardless of how much money I spent on them, they were too finicky and the coil springs don't last and they don't like to get dirty. Maybe not so much with a Boker, but spring assist and a thumb stud works just fine for me, and they are just as easy and quick to open as an auto.

That said, I do like that knife above...a bunch.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Hey gents- anyone found or bought any new knives lately? I was thinking of getting a new SOG line knife but wanted feedback from others first. Let me know!
Answered on MSGO :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Be careful, having a knife in your hand can get you shot four times by the po po when you're trying to kill someone else with it. Thank you policeman that did that. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the feedback and the pics. And yeah careful with those knifes out there gents

1 - 20 of 20 Posts