Knife sharpening tips?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by HotFudge, Mar 21, 2012.

1. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

I just bought some honing oil and a medium Arkansas stone and wanna touch up my Skeletool's blade

[​IMG]

I just want to re-sharpen the straight-edged portion of the blade and the point, don't wanna worry about the serrated portion for now.

2. dvcguns

dvcguns New Member

I have an APEX sharpener that will put a razor edge on any blade but it requires a bit of work (google APEX out of Mt. Hood, OR) so I've taken to sharpening my EDC blades (work blade) with the back side of a 1x30" sanding belt and a Harborfreight $40.00 sander. I just lay down some red ruge on the belt and then work the blade on it a few passes and it's razor sharp again. It will pop hairs after 4-5 passes on each side. Just let the belt do the work.

3. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

It looks like you have some nicks in the blade? If not it's just the picture. If you have nick in the blade you will need to first start with a corse stone to work out the nicks, then work down to a medium then I a fine stone to finish it to a nice razor sharp look . I use water stones and I start with a 1000 grit and work all way to an 8000. Good luck and have fun .

4. Dan308

Dan308 New Member

EDIT by Moderator-

Dan- we have a provision for vendors here. If you would like to post commercial messages, please contact admin about vendor status.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2012
  5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

All these are good suggestions. A lansky set will work wonders as well.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did