Knife Sharpener

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Fatboy589, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Fatboy589

Fatboy589 New Member

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Buy yourself a lansky kit. They give you the perfect angle everytime and they are great. Downside is that they take awhile to get one sharp. All my knives I get them fairly sharp w my lansky then finish out w a coarse steel and a fine titanium rod

3. Fatboy589

Fatboy589 New Member

Lansky? Alright, sweet. I'll definitely check them out. Any others you'd recommend?

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm old, so I use old methods; a stone and oil.

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Thats an art that most people just dont have anymore it seems like. I still do it to, though the lansky is faster

6. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Like CA357 I do it freehand but stepped it up a notch and use diamond hone. I use it with water and dish washing liquid, a lot cheaper and easier to clean than oil.

I use the cheap 3 pack from HarborFreight and loved it enough that I bought 2 extra sets. I am still using the 1st set (5 years later). The plastic backing does de-laminate but still works great without it. You can make your own mounting block if you are so inclined.

3 Piece 2'' x 6'' Diamond Hone Blocks

These used to go on sale for $9.99 and you can use 20% coupons on top of that (available online just google it).

These are not the best but works well for the price IMHO.

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Thats what I use when im sharpening the "kitchen" knives. Aka my fillet knives.

8. hmh

hmh New Member

Hall's stone and finish up with the internals of a industrial light bulb. (Ceramic)

Attached Files:

9. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

This is what I use for everything...pocket knives, kitchen knives, hunting knives, machete, cleaver, hatchet, bolo, etc. ;) I keep one in each of my BOB and one in my car.

I can cut paper with any of these when I am done (except the cleaver just because I don't think it is needed).

10. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

That reminds me of my moms favorite, the bottom of any ceramic; plate, bowl, cup or saucer.

11. bkt

bkt New Member

Rough stone, smooth stone, honing oil, and a leather strap and jeweler's rouge for stropping. I can get a knife FAR sharper with these things than I ever could with a sharpening system.

12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya its possible and I always have to finish out mines edge w my steels

13. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Im not so old, this is how I do it.... My dad taught me to sharpen knifes when I was 6 or 7 and been doing it ever since! (Holy crap I never realized Ive been a sharpener for 20 years!!:eek:)

Why the jewelers rouge? I just use the strop like I would on my straight razor.... Just curious

You can use the "frosted" edge of a rolled down car window as well....;)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  14. trip286

trip286 New Member

Same. And a leather belt. I shave with a straight razor. I'm not real old though.

15. Fatboy589

Fatboy589 New Member

I was doing some research not too long ago, knife sharpening is a freakin' art, isn't it?
    I think I'm gonna snag the Lansky when I get some cash. Seems like it'd be the easiest way to get my knives sharp :)

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Knife sharpening with a stone, oil, and strop is an art. But it's not an extremely difficult art to learn, is more gratifying (IMHO), and is cheaper (depending on the equipment you buy). I've been sharpening my own knives since I was a child (about 8-10 years old), along with farming implements using files, and my friends knives.

One thing to know though is this, different steels feel different on the stone. Some require more pressure or a finer attention to detail than others. Sharpening one knife, it isn't too hard to find the happy medium for just that one blade.

When I got ticked off at the cost of razors and picked up a straight razor, it took me almost 2 months to get the technique and method down, and to get a good enough edge to shave comfortably.

Now my neighbors, friends and family come to me to have anything sharpened. I don't tell them though, I will never make another man's blade sharper than my own.

17. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

All the people around here are that way w me also. The dollar a blade charge doesnt bother them either, but yes I do pay more attention to my own steel and get it alot sharper.

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

I also will not train another man's horse, sight in his rifle, or sleep with his woman. None of them will ever be the same afterwards, for various reasons.
    Oh, I wont tune another man's guitar either.

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

There is only one other person I will sight in a rifle for and thats my uncle. Thats bc over ther years we have figured out 1/2" high for me is about dead on for him. Funny thing is most people cant get a knife "sharp" again after iv had ahold of it. Does that qualify as job security?

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

Why yes, yes it does! I'd like to start a little side work business as a sharpener at the local farmer's market, but they already have a guy there who uses machines and gets absolutely no business at all. I wonder how he can afford the gas to drive there.