Knife project

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by NitroxAZ, Dec 6, 2010.

1. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Here are a couple of pictures of the knife I made this weekend. I used a knife blank to start. I added spalted maple scales, mosaic knife pins. Attached the scales and pins and started sanding until smooth. I then applied 6 coats of gloss to it. I am pretty happy for my first attempt. I am working on the second knife. It is a Damascus blade and will have cocobolo handles with no pins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Oh Dude! That is BEAUTIFUL!

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Very nice work Nitrox. What was the root cause? Just curious to do it, or do you have an idea of doing it part time for profit?

4. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Thanks guys. I just wanted to do it. I don't think I could make money doing it let alone sell any. I think it turned out well but don't know if it would sell.

I have been gathering some stuff for awhile. It started with a post by Scubie regarding the folks in the Phillipines using leaf spring steel to fashion knives. I looked for leaf springs and thought that it might be too challenging to start, so I looked into knife blanks. I really enjoyed it.

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Nitro, I can get you all the leaf springs you want. Where do you get the knife blanks?

6. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Where is a good spot to get leaf springs. I was thinking the junk yard. That will be a project in the near future but I will need a few in case I mess up.

I got them on e-bay. There is a glue to bind the scales to the blade handle too. I bought a kit for my son and it had the glue to bind the scales to the blade. I got the scales there too. There is actually a decent selection. After I glued the scales on, I used a 1" belt sander to sand them down to conform to the handle. I used a dremel to round and shape the scales and then hand sanded it to finish it.

I forgot to add that I used a grinder with a buffing wheel and compound to get the blade shined up.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

TexasKnife.com has some great blade blanks and kits. They have the handle materials and everything needed to play with knives. Great quality and prices.

8. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

a Beaut:)

Sir; as the others have said:) ''mighty fine work'':)
    thanks for sharing

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

And I forgot to say, "Beautiful work Nitrox!"

10. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Nitrox, nice work, don't think you would have trouble selling a product like that, hell I want one after seeing it.

11. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It's a pretty one Nitro. Nice work. :cool:

12. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

A junk yard would be a great place. I can get them from restorations, so the steel is 30+ years old....still super hard but old. They're all free to me so if you want a couple pieces just let me know. I can cut a few lengths and USPS flat rate boxes are your friend.

13. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

PM sent and thanks.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and place to look for stuff. I am really getting into this. Not to expensive and I can be creative.

Y'all are good for a guys ego.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  14. freefall

freefall New Member

Spitty, I too would like some leaf spring steel for the price of a flat rate box. Can I gleep on to some sympathy iron? I'm wanting to try something sizeable, around 16-18" overall. Haven't checked out the boxes. Maybe should just try Knik Wrecking.

15. freefall

freefall New Member

Nitro, nice work, sorry to butt into your show and tell with a plea for steel. How did you attach the bolsters? Keep on, you'll be buying a tempering oven before you know it.

16. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

On that particular blade the bolsters were already attached.

17. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I'll echo Jack here as that's a right purdy knife.

I lived in the Philippines for 4 years and was amazed at the quality of blades those folks could make from old leaf springs. I probably still have a couple of their bolo's (like a machete) in a box somewhere...

18. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Thanks for posting this. I have been looking and thinking of doing a few myself.

Did you buy a kit or did you order the parts separately?

19. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I ordered the parts seperately so I could get what I wanted. Like I know...LOL