Knife handle crack

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by 25-5, Feb 11, 2013.

1. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I have a real nice hunting knife with a elk antler handle separated from the guard with a band of buffalo horn. I noticed a crack in the elk handle near the buffalo horn band. :( I am guessing it is from drying out. How do I stop this from getting worse or happening at another spot.
    Thanks!

2. Dan308

Dan308 New Member

can you post a picture of it?

3. 25-5

25-5 New Member

you got it.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

4. undumb

undumb New Member

5. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Thank you! You have earned your place in the smart ass club. :D

6. undumb

undumb New Member

Sorry about that.

I don't think the horn is repairable, but a good knife craftsman would be able to replace the handle. There is a local craftsman in my area that specializes in Scottish dress knives with antler handles. Maybe check your area for someone like this.

7. Dan308

Dan308 New Member

with that horn coming off the brass spacer and the split, I think you could tape it off and squeeze some clear epoxy in there then sand it off smooth. Might bugger it up but then might not. It'll have to come off there for a permanent fix

8. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I am not so much worried about the crack as if it will get worse or start at another spot. I thought of oiling it, but I don't know that's a good idea.

9. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Fill the existing cracks with super glue, and sand them smooth.
    Do not use oil on your stag! Oil will soften and discolor the stag. Use a coat of paste wax or neutral paste shoe polish.

10. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

I'd mix some 2 ton devcon two part epoxy and mix it then heat it with a hair dryer till it becomes really thin then pour it in the crack and use it to fill in the gap. Then use some paint thinner to remove the excess epoxy so you don't have to do any sanding or polishing. It will work well if the epoxy shrinks when it dries just repeat in a day or two. It should give you a good result.

11. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Epoxy won't get hard enough to resist dirt sticking in it. Super glue will.

12. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

I've never had much problem with it holding dirt but I guess you could epoxy then use super glue to seal it after the epoxy dries completely

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

14. knife

knife New Member

I have been a knifemaker for the last 33 years. I would put superglue on the crack and then sand smooth.

15. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

The horn is stressed from the tang of the blade. I have to agree with the epoxy, and recommend furniture epoxy. You can actually get a color mix for your epoxy at Jantz Knifemaking supply to match your crack fill. I use Stick Fast epoxy from eknifesupply.com.

16. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Thanks guys. I knew not to proceed w/o advice. I would have messed it up for sure.

17. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

Let us know what works and please post a after repair picture

18. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I will if I don't screw it up.