knife for gun bag?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by MikeBofAZ, Dec 1, 2012.

1. MikeBofAZ

MikeBofAZ New Member

Being new to the AR family (still waiting to get it but it is purchased) I decided I wanted to through a knife in my bag (5.11 tactical 36in case) for general purpose uses. I wanted to know is that normal does anyone put knives in there gun bags... am I being weird anyways this is what I came up with it looks to me like it would compliment an ar rather well

Benchmade striker

ForumRunner_20121201_191416.jpg

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Never hurts to have a knife.

3. MikeBofAZ

MikeBofAZ New Member

That was my thought

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Um...
    It's a great idea. To have a knife. Is there not one in your pocket? Not trying to piss in your cheerios, but that would be my first thought. I usually have two on me. Even my boy carries one when he's not in school.

If you don't normally carry one in your pocket, then YES!! Keep one easily accessible somewhere. Anywhere. Glove box, rifle case, camera case, anywhere.

A cutting tool is essential to a man's daily life.

5. MikeBofAZ

MikeBofAZ New Member

No cheerios to piss in here its all good I do sometimes carry one but not always. I was wondering if it was weird and I guess the answer is yes its odd I should already have one on me

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

It's odd as hell to me. But I understand that not everyone carries a knife on them. I'm not one of those tacticool "always gotta have a good combat knife, capable of cutting through hardened steel and crackheads" kind of guy. I carry a three blade Uncle Henry stockman, a small one. My grandfather gave it to me for my 16th birthday. And my "work" knife is a Gerber paraframe mini that I keep clipped in my back pocket. Little 2" blade, perfect for pulling lead gaskets off of Cl2 fittings, and less than ten bucks, not a biggie if I snap it clean in half.

My son carries a cheap swiss army knife knockoff, the little one, with a small blade, nail file, toothpick and tweezers. I'll be getting him a proper gentlemen's pocket knife, most likely for Christmas. I'm thinking a trapper or a stockman like mine. Antique of course. Even Old Timer is made in China these days. Still a good knife, but they're cheaped down. Thinner blades, cheaper/lighter handle slabs.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Trip, maybe a Case Sodbuster Jr. to me it's one of the handiest pocketknives ever and Case has made them for many years and at most places they usually run about $20 or less.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

See, I worry about that, because I'm thinking they've moved some of their production to China too. Have you noticed a Case xx costs about half as much as it did ten years ago? How did they suddenly get the cost down? And it's not like they're going to advertise, "Now cheaply made in China!!", so what gives?

9. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  10. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I usually have an hunting knife in my range bag along with a leatherman. And the one in my pocket

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

And anytime you loan a knife to someone, whether the blade be open or closed, you should get it back the same way you gave it.

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

If you can afford it, get a MICROTECH.

Microtech Knives

microtech_troodon_138-3_black_full_serr.jpg

^ My MICROTECH Combat Troodon;
    http://www.bladehq.com/item--Microtech-Combat-Troodon--4219

My EDC's;

kershaw-shallot-1840st.jpg

^ Kershaw Shallot Modified Drop Point Spring Assist Knife (Bead Blast SER) 1840ST http://www.bladehq.com/item--Kershaw-Shallot-Modified--2439

boker-kalashnikov-desert-ser-01kals74des.jpg

^ Boker Kalashnikov Automatic Knife Desert Sand Handle (3.3" Serr) KALS74DES http://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Kalashnikov--423

DSCN0471.jpg

CIMG0960-1.jpg

^ Spyderco Civilian G-10 Karambit Folding Knife (4.125" Satin Serr) C12GS BAD AZZ! http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Spyderco-Civilian--748

My favorite hand made;

49 Ivory Caper c.jpg

^ Dan Thornburg Ivory Caper

45 Buckeye Burl Hunter d.jpg

^ Dan Thornburg Hunter

Take a look at Dan's knives, if you are looking for a carbon steel working knife, look no further!

If pretty, factory production, cookie-cutter, shiny knives are your style, don't bother.

Dan is one of those "once in a life-time", stumble upon artisans you will NEVER forget phone number! This is a [​IMG] vendor. Buy with confidence. I'll back this guy, he delivers!

Dan Thornburg Knives

2v 005.jpg

2v 010.jpg

^ Randy Porter Obsidian

I'd like to introduce you to Randy Porter

13. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I guess my question is why would you care what someone else thinks about you having a knife in your gun bag :confused:

Much better to be over prepared than under prepared!;)

14. MikeBofAZ

MikeBofAZ New Member

Fantastic someone that agrees one for the range bag at least I'm not alone lol

15. MikeBofAZ

MikeBofAZ New Member

Less that than if someone had a better alternative.... I actually think I may have skipped over the idea of a range bag I guess I assumed my rifle case was the same as a range bag I think it's clicking that I should possibly have a second bag oops I guess that's a noob move

16. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Now that you mention it, I think there is one in one of the mag pouches of my rifle cases too

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

Oh, for sure!! You definitely need a range bag. Unless you're one of those lucky ones that can just shoot straight from the trunk or bed of your car/truck.

You need something to carry:
    Safety Glasses
    Hearing pro
    ammo
    parts
    tools
    magazines (the reading kind AND the bullet holding kind, never know what kind of wait you may have for whatever reason. You could end up on the can somewhere, you just never know.)
    snacks
    drinks
    gloves
    maybe an extra pair of socks (not being sarcastic, you really just NEVER KNOW)
    and cleaning gear, including rags and lube, unless you plan ahead to go straight home and clean after shooting. Amazingly, cleaning gear is one of the most essential items that I wouldn't say is a "must have" for an informal range session. Although, if you plan on dumping a lot of ammo, or are going into a competition, you really, REALLY, want some cleaning gear in your bag.

I'm sure there's a lot of variation, but this is what I keep in mine.

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

still made in the USA! i just looked at mine that i bought last year to check and see if it was, and it is still made here.

19. MikeBofAZ

MikeBofAZ New Member

I appreciate the help i really do. I do(95% of the time) go straight home and break down and clean the guns but, besides pistols and a 10/22, I don't own any magazine fed guns my normal trip includes the 7mm and the savage 338 so cleaning is a breeze. Do you have any recommendations for the tool situation? Again sorry I sound so new but id rather ask now then figure it out the hard way you know

20. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

lol, we do that too. :D

Yep, a range back is extremely handy. I use a backpack (the same kind you probably used in the Marines trip). It's extremely durable, and is big enough to carry all my stuff. :D