Kitchen cutlery -- Got favorite knives for cooking?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by G66enigma, Jun 24, 2020.

1. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Got any stellar cutlery for food prep, at home, that you use and love? Got any favorite dishes they make easy to prepare?

Now and then, over the years, I've used a decent knife. But until now I've never owned a few good-quality ones.

I'll say one thing: The sharpness of these things is a revelation. Hardly the same thing as the well-sharpened basic knives I've typically used. Night and day.

Shun Classic Chef's knife, 6" (#DM0723) -- Smaller and nimble, this thing's a joy to use. Handle could be a bit more ergonomic, but OMG the sharpness of the blade is hard to describe. As much a general utility knife as a chef's blade, it makes very short work of any cutting task. Specs, for what it's worth, of the set of these three knives: 16º cutting angle; 68 layers of folded steel; full tang; Rockwell hardness 61; ebony handle.

[​IMG]

Shun Classic Paring knife, 3.5" (#DM0700) -- Exceptionally sharp, it makes trimming smaller fruits and vegetables simple. A little large for something like carving, but it's almost like carving when taking an apple or other fruit in hand. Zip zip ... and it's done.

[​IMG]

Shun Classic Vegetable Cleaver, 7.75" (#DM0712) -- A larger, heavier cleaver style, it's designed to handle any vegetables needing chopping or dicing. Goes right through a whole head of cauliflower like it wasn't even there. Root vegetables (even beets), scallions, peppers ... easily sliced. Big enough to put a bit of pressure on the spine, if a bit more force is needed.

[​IMG]

Can't say that I've done any full-course meals, yet, with them. But numerous smaller dishes have come out really well.

Slicing through a fish to make fillets is child's play. Slicing a thick cut of beef, no problem. Cutting up a mixed salad, too. Fine-cutting work on individual vegetables or fruits. Chopping up garlic or onions. Tomatoes sliced as thin as about ~10 sheets of paper. Same with ginger.

Speaking of "ginger," one could easily lose a finger with these things. Got to be much more careful; then again, there's so little risk of flubbing a slice, with these.

Slightly dulled (folded) edges are quickly handled with the honing steel. Haven't needed to sharpen them yet, and I don't suppose I'll need to for awhile. Tough blades, it looks like.

We'll see how they perform over the coming year. The local shop's a good one, and the gentleman that runs the place is "old school" when it comes to good-quality blades and keeping them sharp. Unless I chip them or make a mess of things, these should last a very long time.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    ellis36 likes this.

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Forged In Fire Knives.jpg The first picture is the Forged in Fire Knives as seen on TV.
    They are the most fantastic Kitchen Knives we have ever used.
    They are as good as shown on TV if not better. Sharp-Sharp-Sharp! Simply Fantastic! But someone that is a little clumsy when cutting maybe not the knives for them!;)
    And you can get a Wood Magnetic Knife Holder to lay them on!

forged-in-fire-wood-magnetic-knife-block-d-2020031308241558~708052.jpg

3. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a single victorinox semi flexible knife that I absolutely love, got it on sale pretty cheap, less than $30. Its really good for breaking down big cuts of meat and peeling silver skin. I really need to get the whole butcher set Screenshot_20200624-154748_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Here is my wife's favorite set. She said it is the best set of culinary knives she has ever had. The holder has it's own sharpening stone for the knife built into the slot.
    Didn't ask what they cost!:p
    calphalon.jpg

ellis36 and winds-of-change like this.
  5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I have favorite knives for different kitchen uses. I love various pots and pans, too. Different ones for different uses. I have a lot of cast iron and several of those copper ones. And a couple Ogreenic. And two sets of stainless steel.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  6. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Wife and I are big fans of Shun. We have a few in the most useful sizes including a few paring knives that are like scalpels!

winds-of-change likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

My wife uses Cutco. Her name is engraved on every knife

8. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I have 10" French knife that said Mighty Oak in that cheap acid wash or whatever it is that I bought at a gun show for $10 several years ago. The lettering is gone,but that is a great knife. Not bad to sharpen,holds an edge pretty well. Yards better than Chicago cutlery, I would say better than the old Gerber kitchen knife we have.

9. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Gerber “Balance Plus”. the knife that bankrupted Gerber and caused their purchase by Fiskar.

They really are the best balanced kitchen knives I’ve ever used. But to balance 12-inch chefs knives, and carvers, you have to have a pretty heavy handle. they forgot to redesign their knife blocks to compensate for the handle weight, and if you got the knife block full, it wanted to tip over. At which point you had knives raining down on your feet. Gerber ended up in bankruptcy from the lawsuits.

SRK97 and winds-of-change like this.
  10. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, daily use and regular honing have finally run out of steam, with each of the three knives (above) needing to be resharpened. Have the local shop taking care of them.

Still the sharpest blades I've got, by far. But they're about one-third as sharp as when I first got them months ago. Thought the sharpness would be tougher and last longer, but not on these, with the amount of use I'm giving them.

One thing: the "inner" steel on these things definitely is a "classic" non-stainless type of steel, and it definitely needs to remain well-oiled (else light rust appears). So, after every use, a light honing followed by oiling of the edge.

Dangerously sharp. Haven't stuck myself, yet, but I did shave off the top layer of one of my fingernails, though. Didn't even know it had occurred, until noticing a shaved-off spot days later. Though, that sharpness makes them even easier to use. Every cut's just right, and effortless.

Highly recommended, these three. The Shun "classic" line of kitchen knives. Fairly amazing blades. Should have done this years ago.

11. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I cook more often than my wife. I have two knives that I like, The Shun like the one in the OP, with an 8" blade, and for small cutting work I use and inexpensive Cold Steel, Canadian Boot knife. I inherited some traditional Case and Old Hickory, wooden handle knives, but I rarely use them any more.

That Shun knife is one cutting mojo. I have had it about five years and the only thing I do is touch it up on a ceramic stick every few months. When the edge is straight, you better be careful handling it. In another year or two I might send it back to the factory for resharpening.

What I appreciate as much as a good knife, is good cast iron to cook in. You can keep your copper-bottom, stainless steel, mystery non-stick coatings.

towboater likes this.
  12. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I like cast also.

Rifling82 likes this.
  13. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

We bought a bunch of Zwiling-J.A. Henckels, Twin four star knives, we got them at Bed, Bath and Beyond, bought them over time as they are spendy, they are extremely sharp from the factory and hold an edge very well. Our best paring knife is a Victorinox, they are a very good knife for the money.

14. RKB

RKB Well-Known Member

+1 on Henckels. When I was still on active duty, I was in the Base Exchange, looking for some kitchen wares, and spotted a 10pc set of Henckel knives that were obviously mis-priced, ten knives and a storage block for $49.90. Needless to say, they came home with me. The next week, another set was sitting there at what I assume was the correct price - $499.00.
    I have been quite happy with them for about 40 years now, they will take a scary-sharp edge and hold it well, when they start getting dull a few minutes with my Edge-Pro sharpening system and they are as good as new.

Viking likes this.