Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a LNIB brushed nickel CZ83 to carry. Prior to that, I always carried a 1911. Well, I got to thinking about that tiny little bullet and realized it was too much of a comedown in power from a 230gr. flying ashtray.

So, I have a line on an excellent condition '76 C model Browning Hi Power. With any luck, I'll get the details worked out today. It's stock and un-messed with, has original grips and just a touch of holster wear to give it character.

I've been a Hi Power guy for a long time and I've had three. I miss the feel and style of them. I'll feel a lot better carrying it if we can work out a deal.

If I get it, I'll post pics.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jon.

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They won't laugh at my .44mag Super Blackhawk. :D

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I have a Hi Power from the mid-60's that I like. I did remove the mag safety.

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, the mag safety messes up the trigger pull way more than it's worth.

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sadly, there will be no Hi Power here at the ranch. But there will be a new wood stove. :eek:

·
Banned
6,618 Posts
Actually there isn't a huge difference in the energy produced by a 9mm and a 45 acp when you compare apples to apples. The advantage of the larger bullet is it won't fragment when it hits a bone or pass through the bad guy so fast he doesn't feel it.

If you really want to see the difference shoot some wet phone books with a 125 gr 357 and 180 gr 357. I shot a deer that was facing me with a 357 mag 125 gr JSP. The 125 gr bullet penetrated 34 inches of deer and exited his body. I have never shot a deer facing me with a 180 gr but you can tell the way it smashes bones it has to expend it's energy much quicker. You will see the same with wet phone books.

·
Banned
6,150 Posts
Good Luck CA...

If the Hi Power Falls through you could always save a few bills and go with a CZ75B. Just as good IMHO...but I too long for a Hi Power so good luck!

Tack

·
Registered
21,822 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
Pay no attention to the KAREEN. They are having problems with the Israeli Hi-Power.

·
Banned
6,150 Posts

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
Cane,

Are these the surplus Argentinian's...or maybee it was Brazians I read about coming on the market awhile back?
No, the FEG's are Hungarian Made Hi Powers.

The January 2013 Gun Tests magazine tested the used Hungarian FEG and the Israeli Kareen Hi-Powers.

The FEG was priced (used) at 425$ and received a Gun Tests Grade: B

The Kareen was priced (used) at 375$ and received a Gun Tests Grade: F

It was an excellent read and has me thinking of jumping on one of these bargains!

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm. I may have to call Sarco tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
19,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I called SARCO a few minutes ago about the Feg Hi Powers and they are on a "Call Back" list. I was told that they had to be "evaluated".

1 - 20 of 26 Posts