Kimbers, best looking guns in world?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Kenney, May 29, 2012.

1. Kenney

Kenney New Member

I know kimber has a bad habit of making gun with too high of precision, which can make them jam, as opposed to a gun that will eat anything, but I can't seem to think of a single manufacture who comes close to their style. Any ideas or counter argument?

2. billt

billt New Member

I have a Kimber Stainless II and I like it a lot. The gun runs dependably and is quite accurate for a "non accurized" .45 ACP pistol. But I wouldn't go as far as to call them "The best looking guns in the world", or say they are of the "highest precision", or use words to that effect. Kimber is one of many 1911 manufacturers who puts out a good, competitive product that is aimed at the middle income 1911 shooter.

I keep hearing how "their quality is slipping", but I regard that as just as much Internet hearsay, because I've not seen any evidence of it. 1911's have to be built correctly to run right. I think Kimber gets this done as much as most any other manufacturer does in it's price class like Springfield, S&W, Colt, or some of the lesser Dan Wesson models.

My personal taste runs more in line with Springfield, of which I have 5, than it does Kimber of which I have only one. But again, 1911's are probably more personal than most guns, with more people having brand opinions and preferences than most any other weapon other than AR-15's. Some are even in a love it or hate it class. Rock Island Armory, and the new Remington guns seem to fall into that category. People seem to either swear by them or at them, with not much wiggle room in between. I like most all 1911's except for the external extractor models like Sig and S&W. That too is a personal preference choice as there is nothing "wrong" with either.

3. mcb

mcb New Member

Personally I think the Colt Python is the most beautiful handgun ever made. Followed in a close second by the S&W Model 29.

Kimber makes a beautiful 1911 but I still prefer a Colt.

4. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

The early years of kimber some fine shooters were made. After it was sold its become a production company. Better than some ,not as good as other. Just another mid range 1911 today.

5. Kenney

Kenney New Member

I'm not saying they're accurate, I'm just saying they make some of them them in such a way that they won't accept low grade ammo.

6. Kenney

Kenney New Member

And I honestly think that in terms of appearance, I haven't seen many manufacturers who consistently put out such good looking guns. Even the high end 1911 makers can't seem to make as good a looking gun. If you can name a company that does this, be my guest.

7. billt

billt New Member

It all depends on what you call "good looking"? I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just that looks are a personal thing. For example I can't stand those "scalloped" cocking serrations, and "Rattlesnake" textured grips, while others love them. Some love 2 tone guns, (blued slide / Stainless frame), others hate them. Arched backstraps, "Bobtail" frames, (like the Ed Brown Kobra Carry Model), checkered frontstraps, are all personal touches that some prefer while others don't. Any of these features can be applied to guns by any current 1911 manufacturer just as well as they can be by Kimber. It's if the individual wants them or not that matters. That is strictly personal taste.

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Lord help us all!

facepalm-rage-face-i13.jpg

9. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

Now i love my kimber, couldn't be happier with it, but as much as i like it's appearance (trademark excessive finish wear not withstanding) i certainly wouldn't call it the best looking. And as far as the high precision craftsmanship goes, trust me, there are much more precisely built 1911s out there.

But like i said i love my kimber, and if yours is the best looking to YOU, then good for you man.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  10. billt

billt New Member

Guns are personal. Some guys get more upset if you call their gun ugly, than if you say the same about their wife. :D

11. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

This x infinity.

12. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

When did this sea change in Kimber Quality occur? Not trolling here, I'm actually currious. I've seen bad reports lately about Kimber CS and find it interesting because I bought an Eclipse Pro II new about 9 years ago and except for changing recoil springs, it's been flawless. I've never needed there CS so I'm wondering what changed and when? Was it after my 9 year old gun was built? Should I plan on Colt for my next 1911. Honestly, given the perfection of my first and only Kimber, I'd buy from them again unless there is a good reason not to. Thanks

Tack

13. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

I haven't experienced this downturn in kimber quality myself, nor do i personally know anyone who has. But i hear the same thing all over the place, it sounds like the demand for them skyrocketed and they started cutting corners to meet demands, but idk.

I've had my custom tactical II for 5 years now and after tens of thousands of rounds through it i have yet to experience a single problem. The only gripe i have with kimber is how quickly and easily the finish wears off. I really don't consider it a major issue though, it's my daily carry not a safe queen :D

14. billt

billt New Member

One thing I forgot to mention that I didn't care for with my Kimber Stainless II was the plastic mainspring housing. If Remington, Ruger, and Springfield can put steel mainspring housings on a $650.00 pistol, Kimber needs to get their act together and cut out the plastic on a 1K gun. It obviously wasn't a deal breaker for me, but the more I think about it, and look at it, the more it bothers me. I love 1911's, but my collection will most likely not see another Kimber.

15. 97cobra

97cobra New Member

I love the way the Kimber looks, but like you said, I can't get past the jamming and one year warranty.
    I'll take my colt over a kimber but I'd still like to own one for myself.

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Kimber is a 1911 pattern pistol with finish issues, feed and eject issues, customer service issues and a one year warranty. Just what criterion do you apply, in addition to looks, when you purchase a handgun?

You want to buy a truly be-ute-tee-full 1911 get one of these;

The 1918 version of the Colt M1911. Now that's a worthy gun of your OP quote, "...best looking gun(s) in (the) world..."!

[​IMG]

17. billt

billt New Member

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but just how does one go about making a gun with "too high of precision"? Wouldn't a Rolex and an F-1 Ferrari fit into that category as well? That wouldn't make a Timex and a Chevy better.

18. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

Kimbers are beautiful

19. mcb

mcb New Member

Cane that's a beauty:)

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Thanks, it's a Colt Model O1911ANVIII and will remain in my arsenal un-fired.

And it is THE best looking 1911 out there! It's what all 1911's for sale today copied.

ColtO1911ANVIII.jpg

[​IMG]