Kimbernot locking open with Colt mags

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by jthoma8318, Feb 2, 2014.

1. jthoma8318

jthoma8318 New Member

I just purchased a Kimber Target II in 38 Super. It only came with one mag (really Kimber?) so I purchased 2 Colt magazines. The slide locks back when empty with the magazine from Kimber but when I used the Colt magazines it failed to lock back. The follower lip meant to engage the slide lock on the Colt appears to be slightly lower than the Kimber mag. Any ideas?

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

order some more Kimber mags for it.

3. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

uh.. different mags?

I would resist any modifications to the thingy whatzer* that get's pushed up.

Here is a little something that may help.
    See the Magazine and Slide Stop pages.
    http://www.m1911.org/M1911-A1_REDUX.pdf

*Slide Stop

They are from M1911 A1 -Redux.pdf"

4. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

As Axxe says "Kimber Mags"

I am very pleased with the Kimber Pro-Tac stainless mags with bumpers. . ..

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

6. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Very good point. I suppose a call to Kimber would result in the same advice given about. (Get Kimber Mags),

It would still be fun to call them and see how they handle the problem/question.

7. danf_fl

If Kimber does that, I can hear it now....

"We recommend that you use our quality magazines only in our pistols. Sure other magazines may cost less, but we guarantee ours will work."

Just another way to force the customer to a purchase "name" brand.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  8. texastom101

texastom101 New Member

If it were me I would look into some higher quality magazines. I go with Tripp, Wilson combat 47ds or chip's. Try a bunch of brands and find what works well. Its much easier to get a mag that works with the pistol than to modify the gun to work with the mags. A wise man taught me you always file the cheaper part. Just my $.02.

9. danf_fl

I would rather purchase a $20 part than to purchase 5 $20 mags to see if they work.

Your call.

10. texastom101

texastom101 New Member

I understand where you are coming from, money is tight almost everywhere these days. You could also try changing the followers on the colt magazines or if they are gi style followers you could bend the lip on the left side of the follower up. It could also be the magazine springs but I wouldn't count on that unless the magazines are old. I checked my Tle rl II and it will not function with my colt magazines, it runs perfect with shooting stars and 47ds.