kimber?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by irontyson1, May 10, 2013.

1. irontyson1

irontyson1 New Member

Been thinking about buying a kimber ultra carry. Any thoughts about its reliability and quality. I'm new to 1911 style pistols

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Browse this section of the forum thoroughly before buying anything.

3. nickel1911

nickel1911 New Member

Definitely do your research before making your purchase. As far as my personal experience with kimber, they're awesome. Great quality and 100% reliable. I own two kimbers and haven't looked back. Good luck on your purchase

4. Max-Q

Max-Q New Member

I own three Kimbers and I have several friends who own them. I've never had a problem with any of the internal extractor models. They have all been reliable and accurate pistols.

Make sure you buy a newer model with the internal extractor and you should be fine.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

When purchasing a new firearm also look at things like warranty and search on customer service assistance.

I believe that Kimber will void warranty work if any mod has been done, warranty is only for 1 year, and customer service is not that great.

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

no hands on here but i've hear the CS sucks. and really there are just better choices... but if its what calls to you go for it. im sure any problems that arise could be fixed.

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Kimbers are fine 1911s also. But I would look closely at the Springfield Armory models also. The Range Officer is a great model! They make some fine 1911s in the upper quality range. There are other good ones out there also like the SIGs, Remingtons and others. But I would rate Springfield, Kimber and the customs from Less Bauer at the top. Rock River Arms use to make some excellent custom 1911s but got out of the custom business a couple of years ago. They still have a very few left at the plant but they are in the $1800-$2200 range. Relay depends on your price range regarding your choice!

8. GLI45

GLI45 New Member

Ditto to the earlier comment suggesting you browse this section thoroughly. My experience with Kimber is only through a couple that are owned by shooting buddies. For the kind of money Kimber is asking for I would urge you to at least shop around and consider other options before making a purchase. In the Kimber price range you can look at Springfield, Colt, STI, and Dan Wesson. Also make sure you consider the warranty and customer service. I can only personally speak to STI and their pistols come with a lifetime guarantee.

9. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

I've been more than happy with my two Kimbers, but I also got great deals on them. You should consider the warranty, but my V-Bob only has a 5 year (still better than one) and is my most expensive pistol by far.

Or you could just get a Colt.

10. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have 3 Kimbers. A SOLO, Ultra Crimson II and a Pro Raptor. Not one problem out of any of them. Very reliable and extremely accurate. I use the SOLO and Ultra Crimson as CC weapons. Good luck.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

For the price you pay for a kimber you could get a much better colt or springfield.

Personally kimber cs sucks really bad. Bought a 22conversion for my 1911 i wanted a blued one they shipped a stainless in a box marked blued and refused to swap it out for blued unit. Ended up selling it as it didnt really function well and couldnt get much in the way of help.

I wont buy any of their products after that goat rope.

12. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Happy with the Kimber (ultra ii covert).

I called Kimber Customer service asked for a replacement extractor. They wanted me to send it in. I said no. They sent the extractor. Extractor is installed and working fine.

I may have been the cause of the first extractor. Flitz? probably not. Slide released on chambered round? most likely.

Anyway, I hear complaints about Kimber, just wanted to share a good story.

13. Gunsnob

Gunsnob New Member

Your V-bob won't need it's warranty while your Mimber will be a frequent flyer to Yonkers.

DW is far better than Colt.

14. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

They must be doing something right because they sell allot of them and they are not cheap.

15. tradergdubs

tradergdubs New Member

I have multiple Kimbers and never a problem. Bought a Solo just before Christmas....wouldn't run a mag without a failure. Sent it back and after 2 months got it back. Told me they couldn't find a prob but replaced the extractor as a matter of course. I tried recommended ammo and I still couldn't keep it running. No way I could trust it so traded it on Sig P220 Extreme.

Never a hiccup on my 3,4 and 5 inch Kimbers. It's a good thing Kimber makes such a fine gun (less the Solo) because service is marginal at best. They eluded to mr not holding the gun properly and all that stuff. I have XDs, PM45, multiple XDm's, Sig 938 and multiple Glocks...no problems.

If you want a carry .45 try the 3" Raptor...sweet.