Kimber Ultra Carry II

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by CA357, Nov 17, 2011.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm a 1911 guy and I guess I'm just used to them. My CCW pistol has been my Sistema 1911. However, I bought a Glock 36 for an EDC pistol a while back, but I just couldn't shoot it well. I consistently shot it low. I wanted something smaller and lighter than the 1911, but like I said, I didn't shoot it well.

I didn't like the idea that I had to learn a new grip while I shoot 1911's so naturally. So, after 400 rounds of nicely grouped, consistently low shots, I sold the Glock today.

While I was at the gun shop, I spotted a Kimber Ultra Carry II and asked to handle it. As I was fondling it, the guy said that it was on sale for $150. off the tag price. Not only that, but he had another one still in plastic. I put my proceeds from the Glock right down on it and laid it away. I'll pick it up in a little while.

Since this thread would be useless without pics, here's a link to the Kimber website with the specs on the pistol: Kimber America | Ultra Carry II

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Nice looking piece! Of course, there is a range report coming, no? :)

3. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

Congrats! I hope you like it as much as I like mine.

4. CA357

Of course. :D

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Can't wait to see it ans shoot it, CA!!

6. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

That looks nice - it looks to be about the same size as the SA EMP...
    Yes, please let us know how it shoots!

How do the grips (or the stock/butt of the pistol) fit your hand. I wonder about those sized pistols & whether there would be any issues of the butt being too short for my hand. Does your pinkie finger 'fit' or does it hang off the end?

7. CA357

I'm not a big guy and I don't have large hands. The grip just hits the heel of my hand, but doesn't go all the way to the bottom. I figure with the 3" barrel and the shorter grip that it will be a bit snappy to shoot. However, since I'm a .45ACP guy I don't expect it to be be too bad. My biggest concern will be recovering quickly enough for a follow up shot.

I'm also not that sure about the all black combat sights. After I've had it for a while, I'll most likely have night sights installed. However, it fit my budget without stretching it to the point of breakage, so having the pistol in hand is worth possibly changing out the sights later when I can afford it.

8. nhsuper44

nhsuper44 New Member

I have one for cc and love it! Shoots accurately , no failures in about 500 rounds. Congrats on your purchase. Terry.

9. CA357

Thanks Terry. I'm looking forward to getting it.

10. Dustin860

Dustin860 New Member

I just picked up the same thing on Friday. What a great gun!

11. CA357

Cool. Please post a range report.

12. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

Yea, another Kimber convert :) I have a couple of Kimbers. My CDP II is basically the same as yours as far as shooting .45 ammo with a 3" barrel. After shooting 100 rounds of ammo, the hand says to the brain, hey, let's take a break for awhile :eek:

Yep, your going to like it. You must be a very patient man, I couldn't bear the wait. It would just kill me. I couldn't sleep at night. I'd be pacing the floor. I'd be counting the minutes. It would be worse than an expecting father on delivery day. I'd be bated with anticipation. I'd be constantly calling the LGS to see if it was still there.

How do you do it :confused:

[​IMG][/IMG]

13. CA357

Nice pistol Dennis. I had a Pro Carry II, but it didn't really float my boat. It was a good pistol, it just didn't do it for me. I'm much more excited about the Ultra Carry. It will be my EDC pistol. I needed something small and concealable and but I really wanted to stay with .45ACP. My full size 1911 is just too much to carry for long periods of time.

14. truevil1313

truevil1313 New Member

My thoughts exactly, thats why I bought the CDP Ultra. My Tactical Pro II would get heavy after hours of wearing it. The CDP Ultra is perfect for all day carry.

The Ultra is just the right size and weight for me, you should love it.

15. CA357

Sounds good to me. I'll bail it out on the 30th.

16. millerw289

millerw289 New Member

17. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

So you'll be changing your avator :rolleyes:

18. Dustin860

Dustin860 New Member

Haha.. good one ;) .. still love my g19 ...variety is a good thing friend!

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Can't argue that :D

20. CA357

I pick it up tomorrow.