Kimber tactical pro II

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Gojubrian, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Just curious what everyone thinks about this 1911. Anyone with direct experience would help greatly. It has all of the features I want in a pretty good price. Night Sights, llight weight frame, commander frame, magwell,low profille sights, and it's pretty good looking.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411534311

Doesn't look like the Dan Wessons are in my price range anymore, plus I'm not too pleased with the dramatic price hike on the 09 models.

Also, is theere another 1911 out there with all the same features, but maybe better somehow and in the same price range.

Yes, I'm getting a 1911, finally!! It's all you guys fault and I'd like to personally thank a whole bunch of you! J.D., Canebrake, NGIB, Spitinfire, Sarge43, M14srock, lonyeager, SGTMILLER, Shihan and several others!! You have been very helpful here and in pm's.

2. Orlandorealtor

Orlandorealtor New Member

Nice looking Kimber has the extended Magwell. You might look on Sportingarms.com too. A little cheaper than Bud's and has more selection of Kimbers. They have the pro Crimson Carry for 950.00 shipped. Nice look'n gun too, doesn't have the nighsights but comes equipped with the laser grips. Jerry

[​IMG]

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I had one of those, it's a great pistol. Nice "starter" 1911, goju...you're starting near the top...much higher than I did!

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Thanks! I'll look into that site. :)

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

:D I'm pretty picky. I'd much rather have a Nighthawk T3, but it's just not practical for me.

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

As I said in my PM, I owned one of these for a time and it's a nice alloy framed carry gun. I had a Kimber .22 kit on mine a lot of the time and that made for a light, fun, and really expensive .22 for sure...

9. Rodmaker

Rodmaker New Member

Pro tac ii

I have a Tac II and really like it. I also have a Pro Carry II which is basically the same gun except for the night sights and the mag well, but a lot cheaper. You can get the Pro Carry II for less than $800.00 at Buds and dress it up any way you want to for less. They are very good shooters and Kimber has some of the best customer service.:D (just my 2 cents)

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

11. AllenM

AllenM New Member

The Tac Pro II is what I use for a carry gun.
    I really Like it a lot. But I made a couple of changes.
    I removed the Magwell and bobtailed the frame. I have thin Alumi grips on it now. not whats in the picture.
    It's light accurate and reliable.
    One of my favorites.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I really like the bobtail!

13. Rodmaker

Rodmaker New Member

Did you do the bob tail yourself or have it done? Looks good, I have thought about having that done to one of mine.

14. AllenM

AllenM New Member

I did it myself. It wasn't to hard, small learning curve and had to buy a jig to relocate the MSH pin hole.
    Also had to refinish it afterwords.
    Stainless is nice because you can just polish it up afterward

15. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I've said this before: "I need a pistol with a steel frame. Sometimes, deadly force isn't necessary, but pistol whipping the **** out of someone is. When that day comes, you'll wish you would have bought a steel framed 1911."

16. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

How about I shoot them with the pro carry and hit them with the cz75b? :D

17. Gundog55

Gundog55 New Member

Kimber Tacticle Pro II

I bought one a few years ago from a friend for a lot less and just got around to shooting it on my four day Front Sight Defensive Handgun course. My duty weapon was a HK USP LEM .40cal so I carried the same concealed. I wanted to start carrying something with some more behind it so took the Kimber out of the safe and came down here to get "Tuned Up" on the Kimber.

The rear sight was off so I ended up shooting constantly at the 10:30/11:00 position. They adjusted the sights for me and I found I was center but still an inch too high. I blacked out the tritium front sight with a sharpy and was nailing an 1 1/2" box at 10 meters. (I can wipe off the blackened front sight anytime I need to).

Now as far as the gun? I can't figure out why so many sharp or rough edges. The checkering on the front strap about wore my fingers raw the first day so I put tape on it, the checkering on the bottom of the trigger guard goes clear to each outer edge making those edges sharp/rough. On the bottom of the front strap where the mag well begins the edges on each side are sharp and should of been cut at the same angle as the mag guide. The thumb safety is deep grooved.....again....sharp/rough edged. believe me, after running two hundred rounds a day for four days these become VERY annoying.

Finally, no 1911 I ever had (and I've had a few, I was taught to break one down and reassemble blind folded when I was eight years old) ever need a paper clip to hold the spring onto the spring rod but this one does so have a supply of those on hand if you want to field strip it. I plan on sanding down a lot of those edges as soon as I get home. Other than that....this gun Is well balanced, light and compact for a 1911, many nice features and VERY accurate after some tuning up. As critical as I am on the rough edges I would still buy this gun again and I look forward to using it as my CCW.

18. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Great report but this an awfully old thread sir

19. Gundog55

Gundog55 New Member

Kimber Tach Pro II

You're right...it is an old thread but I found it while doing a google search on the Kimber so I figured it must still have some readers since I found it. Besides, it got me to join the group. Maybe they need to figure out a way to make the threads "Frayed" when the get to a certain age?

I want to correct something also. After reading it again I realized that I meant five meter line not the 10 meter line from where I was shooting. While I WISH I was that good from the 10 I'm not. :)